Weight Gain after 1200 cal & exercising!

Options
Hi,

Can't understand the scales this morning! Weighed myself after 8 days of being on MFP & I have gained 2 pounds! I have followed a 1200 calorie very healthy diet, lean protein, lots vegetables, only wholegrain products, rice, pasta 50g, & fish. Also I've had no alcohol, no fizzy drinks, sweets, puddings etc! Only water!

I have usually most days burned about 600 to 1100 calories in heavy duty exercise, being either 50 lengths, plus hour fast walk, as well as body combat some days. I've done Pilates, body pump, etc, two to three hours a day....

Puts me off a bit! I'm going to give the gym a rest today after that! Just wondering if anyone has experienced same thing? Maybe I have a very sluggish metabolism! I was 146 pounds, now 148 pounds! Want to get down to 126!

Also if I ate back the calories from exercising, I fear I would gain even more weight.....

Replies

• MarliseM
    MarliseM Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I hear you :) I have gained weight even though I watch my calories like a hawk. I just wonder if the body is reshaping...... and I need to make sure I eat enough so that my brain doesn't think I am going to starve myself..... as this is often the case (so I have been told)
    Good Luck..... and hang in there
    MarliseM
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    First of all - BE PATIENT! This is the best advice I can give anyone starting out. You didn't put the weight on overnight, it won't come off overnight.
    Eat back you exercise calories - search on the forums for the multitude of threads discussing this topic.
    Water weight - if you are doing new exercise, your muscles may be retaining water from being used. Your TOM can also make you retain water, as can things like high sodium, etc.
    Settings - how do you have MFP set up? Since you only have a small amount of weight to lose, you probably should have MFP set to lose either 1 lb or 0.5lb a week.
    Metabolism - you don't have a 'sluggish' metabolism - the main thing that influences your metabolism is muscle mass.

Hope that helps x
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water weight. Exercising causes muscle to retain water. You cannot gain fat while in a calorie deficyt. So watch your sodium, dring plenty of water and hang in there. It will come off. Pay more attention to the way you look, not how much you weigh. Also, eat back some of your exercise calories. It will help. :flowerforyou:
  • estorial7
    Options
    I have the same problem I think I am changing shape but the scales weigh me more today I want to tone up all the wobbly bits as well stick with it it will be worth it
  • kayx199189
    kayx199189 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You sound like your doing alot of exercise so the weight gain could actually be because you are gaining muscle, which weighs more then fat. Last week I was gutted i'd lost no weight but when I measured my hips i'd lost an inch off them. Sometimes these things happen but it will come off eventually, and just remember how much healthiet your making your body on the inside which is the most important, dont let this discourage you :)
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    You sound like your doing alot of exercise so the weight gain could actually be because you are gaining muscle

It is unlikely this is true - you cannot gain muscle on a calorie deficit, unless you are VERY new to lifting, and even then it wouldn't be 2 pounds in such a short time.
  • pearsy67
    pearsy67 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about fluctuations of a few pounds, between changing water retention and body reshaping, you can expect to get variations. My trainer told me he has a client that complained that she had gained 5kg(11lb) since working with him.
    He asked if she had gone down in any clothes sizes, she had :-)
    Muscle has a higher density than fat and tends to build in other area. I would focus on measurements rather than weight, maybe fitness goals.

While weight reduction is a big part of my goals, it seems that every time I step on different scales the weight changes. So make sure that you always use the same scales in the same place for each weigh-in. Colour myself depressed when I moved my scales from the carpeted spare room to the hardwood floor, I gained 6kg!!!!!!!!

So don't worry about it, so long as you are getting fitter and healthier then all is good.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    IF YOU ARE ONLY EATING 1200 CALORIES... and working out that much your body could be freaking out!

Eat the exercise calories, and watch your sodium. Drink your water, give it time :) Also, if you are sore you will gain a little bit of weight too.

I ate too much sodium the other day, weighed in at 173.4, next day (yesterday)... 171.2... today I am at 170. It fluctuates.

I coped best by writing my daily weights on a calendar. Then all I have to do is see if the weight is less than it was a week ago.

Cheer up :)
  • bodyjammin85
    bodyjammin85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think you're not eating enough. 1200 cals should be net intake, not 1200 total. Eat you exercise cals back.
  • candican
    Options
    IF YOU ARE ONLY EATING 1200 CALORIES... and working out that much your body could be freaking out!

Eat the exercise calories, and watch your sodium. Drink your water, give it time :) Also, if you are sore you will gain a little bit of weight too.

This^
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Can't understand the scales this morning! Weighed myself after 8 days of being on MFP & I have gained 2 pounds! I have followed a 1200 calorie very healthy diet, lean protein, lots vegetables, only wholegrain products, rice, pasta 50g, & fish. Also I've had no alcohol, no fizzy drinks, sweets, puddings etc! Only water!

I have usually most days burned about 600 to 1100 calories in heavy duty exercise, being either 50 lengths, plus hour fast walk, as well as body combat some days. I've done Pilates, body pump, etc, two to three hours a day....

Puts me off a bit! I'm going to give the gym a rest today after that! Just wondering if anyone has experienced same thing? Maybe I have a very sluggish metabolism! I was 146 pounds, now 148 pounds! Want to get down to 126!

Also if I ate back the calories from exercising, I fear I would gain even more weight.....

Read this (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics) so you can understand how to use MFP properly.... especially the section under deficit.

I can't give you any other advice because I can't see your diary.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Your eating 1200 and burning 1000 calories, welcome to the beginning on a serious medical issue. Please go see a qualified nutritionist or your doctor a.s.a.p

At a minimum you should have 1200 calories net after you've exercised!

If you are burning 1000 calories you should be eating around 2200 to end your day with the recommended 1200 calories MFP has set for you.
  • BeautifulLillie
    Options
    Hi,

I'm doing lots of cardio, & only body pump 3 times, which I've never done before. I have worked really hard at the exercise this week, I do feel slimmer, but I've only lost half an inch of waist, all other measurements the same, as well as weight gain! I have been either having 50g wholemeal pasta in the evening with my meal, or 50g brown rice, or baked potatoe for lunch in the carbs. Brown bread at lunch or wholemeal pitta. Maybe I should knock the pasta off, it's only a small amount I have. I've had no red meat, lots chicken, prawns, turkey mince etc.

I actually do feel bit drained from all exercise, even though I'm quite fit, so might just swim 50 lengths today just to keep the exercise habit up, or you get out of going so quickly!

I do fear if I eat my calories from exercising I would probably gain 7 pounds!!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    Hi,

I'm doing lots of cardio, & only body pump 3 times, which I've never done before. I have worked really hard at the exercise this week, I do feel slimmer, but I've only lost half an inch of waist, all other measurements the same, as well as weight gain! I have been either having 50g wholemeal pasta in the evening with my meal, or 50g brown rice, or baked potatoe for lunch in the carbs. Brown bread at lunch or wholemeal pitta. Maybe I should knock the pasta off, it's only a small amount I have. I've had no red meat, lots chicken, prawns, turkey mince etc.

I actually do feel bit drained from all exercise, even though I'm quite fit, so might just swim 50 lengths today just to keep the exercise habit up, or you get out of going so quickly!

God no, this is a very old school way of thinking, your body needs the calories to provide energy to all your vital organs, then it uses the rest for breathing, thinking, walking around etc....when you starve your body of calories it protects itself but slowing down your metabolism gradually to keep your vital functions going. And it stores whatever it can spare into Fat in case you continue to not provide it the calories it needs.

Please stop looking at the scale as much, work on burning fat % , gaining lean muscle mass and your body and metabolism will take care of the rest. Your in this for long healthy haul, not the get skinny quick scheme.
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    Hi,

Half an inch in a week is good.
    Read the link posted above about how MFP works. You will not gain anything from eating back exercise calories.
  • kayx199189
    Options
    It is unlikely this is true - you cannot gain muscle on a calorie deficit, unless you are VERY new to lifting, and even then it wouldn't be 2 pounds in such a short time.
    [/quote]

well I got corrected
  • bodyjammin85
    bodyjammin85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    http://www.exrx.net/Questions/StarvationEffect.html

Check this link. It's an easy to understand document. The research done on the marathon runner is all you should need to understand why its important not to undereat!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options

[/quote]

Basically when your starving your body of calories it won't get the protein required to rebuild that muscle, you need to feed the machine for it to grow
  • kayx199189
    Options
    Basically when your starving your body of calories it won't get the protein required to rebuild that muscle, you need to feed the machine for it to grow
    [/quote]

okay well I dint need it explaining, I wo just giving some words of encouragment
  • BeautifulLillie
    Options
    Hi, thank you all for your words of encouragement & great help! I'm being impatient really, it's only been a week on my new healthy regime!! Really, I guess that's why I was feeling drained doing last night's exercises, as too few calories are being consumed!

On a good note, put on a pair of my skinny jeans not worn for a while, they are usually quite snug, but they zipped up with great ease & don't feel uncomfortable on my waist!!

I've only swam this morning, & that's it for today!

I shall now proceed to eat my exercise calories, & as you all said really my body was burning off all 800-1000 cals per day, & I was existing on a couple of hundred calories remaining!

I've learnt a lot from all your responses, thanks again! I shall be patient in my weight loss, & feed my body!!