WOW is all I can say!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• tessa3r
    tessa3r Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can get it in the UK, although it's a long time since I've seen it in the shops. It is easy to grow from seed, but you need a lot of space! It is usually called spaghetti marrow here.

If you plan on growing it and don't have a lot of space, you can use a trellis. I've been growing squashes and pumpkins on trellis' with quite a bit of success for the past few years. You'll have to wind the vines through the trellis by hand, but it's fairly easy and though you need to be careful not to break the stalks, it's not that hard as long as you keep up with vines every few days. When they get too long you'll need help to gently get them through the trellis. It's well worth the effort to have the fresh produce though!
  • missalicia78
    Options
    Can I ask, what is spaghetti squash? We don't get it in the UK. x

I dont think we get it in Australia either and now I am really, REALLY curious lol

Maybe it's just called something different? It's really good.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_squash

Nope - def dont get that here in Australia which is a real shame as I'd love to try it!

BOO! That is very sad. :( I'd send you some if it weren't, you know, against customs laws. ;) Or whatever it's called.
  • hawkinswinter
    Options
    I'm a very picky eater, and pasta has always been my comfort food; which is a large part of the reason why I am so over weight...I love to eat junk...I dont like many vegetables or fruits, but I'm working on it!

Anywho, I know I have to branch out and try new things otherwise I will fall right back to my old (bad) eating habits, How does the spaghetti squash actually taste? Does it have a flavor? I would love to try this, but it's a lot of prep to end up with something I cant eat.
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Do you think you can throw it in the crockpot and let it cook?
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I want to say I finally gave it a try and I liked it! . Cut the 1 pound spaghetti squash in half, nuked it for about 9 minutes. Shredded the insides and topped with some spaghetti sauce. It was reminiscent of real actual spaghetti but didn't have that chewiness you associate with all that gluten. I will make this again.

2012-01-26%252017.36.28.jpg
    2017.36.28.jpg[/img]
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    After you cook it, do the leftovers taste good?
  • hrhwrightca
    hrhwrightca Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    To prepare I usually put in the microwave for 2 minutes and then carefully cut it down the middle length wise :) then scoop out all the seeds and stuff an dleave the "meaty" part - I then just put it in the oven for about 40 minutes - just spray butter flavoured pam on it and let it cook - once it is finished the squash I am going to eat - usually half of one I just take the fork through it and it makes strings like spaghetti and then mix salsa into it... its so delicious the next day I bring it for lunches usually as a left over and just bring salsa to put on it for "sauce" and heat it up... very yummy
  • tiffany_suz
    Options
    you use the vegetable "squash" and cut it like spaghetti noodles :) read her recipe it tells you exactlyhow to make it. as far as i know they dont sell it anywhere you have to make it and dont worry its pretty easy.
  • tiffany_suz
    Options
    Can I ask, what is spaghetti squash? We don't get it in the UK. x

I dont think we get it in Australia either and now I am really, REALLY curious lol

Maybe it's just called something different? It's really good.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_squash

Nope - def dont get that here in Australia which is a real shame as I'd love to try it!

you use the vegetable "squash" and cut it like spaghetti noodles :) read her recipe it tells you exactlyhow to make it. as far as i know they dont sell it anywhere you have to make it and dont worry its pretty easy.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I've never heard of spegheti squash. I'll have to look into this
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I love spagetti squash... I cut it in half, and clean it out, than put one half in the microwave for 10 mins ... yummy!!!
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    The spaghetti squash itself has a very mild, squashy ( :wink: ) flavor.
  • Viva_Karina
    Options
    A small one pound squash gives me plenty of food.....enough for two meals....

It's even better the next day because the flavors have had a chance to mingle.

I don't think you can over cook it like regular spaghetti (mushy) .....it holds it shape really well.

It's done when it's fork tender - that just means if i can jab my fork thru the rind into the inside with little resistance - it's good to go!

I agree with the above poster......the flavor is very mild and it takes on whatever sauce/topping you put on it.
  • Viva_Karina
    Options
    ............and actually this Sunday I'm going to buy 2 large ones and make my week's pre-portioned meals out of it!
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    The first time my friend told me about this I thought she was nuts.

Now all of you have me very curious. I'm going to have to try it. Let's hope I can get my husband to agree, lol.