Fitbit when driving

Options
Ok, I'm really keen to get a fitbit, having read so many great reviews, but there's one thing that keeps coming up and that's steps recorded when driving. As I drive for anywhere between 7 & 10 hours a day this could be a major problem.
Anyone had problems with this or not? Or have I just kept seeing the same person posting lol?

Replies

• pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    to my knowledge fitbit doesn't calculate driving. it calculates YOUR MOVEMENT not the movement of your position on earth.
  • boelyn
    boelyn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi

I drive for about 4 house a day and it registers me as lightly active but does not seem to register steps so I've not found it a problem

B
  • cascatz
    Options
    I got my fitbit today, so I'll let you know....... watch this space as it get's smaller and smaller
  • boelyn
    boelyn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    *hours*
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    to my knowledge fitbit doesn't calculate driving. it calculates YOUR MOVEMENT not the movement of your position on earth.

I didn't actually think it would have me walking 600km a day lol, apparently some people have said the movement (suppose changing gear etc) and bumpy terrain makes it think you're taking steps
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    hmmm strange.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options

I didn't actually think it would have me walking 600km a day lol, apparently some people have said the movement (suppose changing gear etc) and bumpy terrain makes it think you're taking steps

it does, maybe because I have an older car that's a rough ride, but it does
  • Sonyakrueger8
    Options
    The only issue I had while driving was it add a ton of floors to my fit bit when I went over a steep bridge.
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Got one ordered, but not arrived yet. Darn! Can't help you, sorry.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    This is actually an easy one. As trucker I drive a lot. When you are ready to start driving long press the button to start the timer just like you do when you go to bed.

This will create a record for that time period. make sure to long press again to stop the timer when you quit driving and before you start walking.

When you sync your FitBit and go to the Log section your records for your driving periods may be found either under sleep (if it was a really smooth ride) or under activities. If under sleep simply click edit and then select change to activity.

Now, using the start and duration times of the records you simply create an activity log and use the activity "driving". FitBit will automatically zero out all of the false steps and stairs recorded during that time, returning your counts to the real walking numbers.

It sounds more complicated than it is, and once you have done this once you will see how quick and easy it really is.

One note, I always manually enter in 0 calories for those driving times so it doesn't throw off my calorie numbers here at MFP.
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    never had a problem....have had a fitbit for 3 months now.....
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    This is actually an easy one. As trucker I drive a lot. When you are ready to start driving long press the button to start the timer just like you do when you go to bed.

This will create a record for that time period. make sure to long press again to stop the timer when you quit driving and before you start walking.

When you sync your FitBit and go to the Log section your records for your driving periods may be found either under sleep (if it was a really smooth ride) or under activities. If under sleep simply click edit and then select change to activity.

Now, using the start and duration times of the records you simply create an activity log and use the activity "driving". FitBit will automatically zero out all of the false steps and stairs recorded during that time, returning your counts to the real walking numbers.

It sounds more complicated than it is, and once you have done this once you will see how quick and easy it really is.

One note, I always manually enter in 0 calories for those driving times so it doesn't throw off my calorie numbers here at MFP.

Thank You! I have to go do this now.

This has been my biggest problem with FitBit!

Edit: I updated it as you indicated on the fitbit site and marked it as driving under transportation and it immediately deleted the calories for that time period.

Now I just have to wait to see if it updates the MFP site.

This is awesome! Problem solved!
  • LittleLightShine
    LittleLightShine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My fitbit does not record any steps when driving.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have tested this. My fitbit adds about 100-300 steps when I drive to work which is a 30 minute mostly highway commute. It pisses me off, but I guess it is what it is.
  • lemasney
    lemasney Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have and love my fitbit, and have not had the problem. If you do encounter the problem, it's solved easily enough by taking it off in the car, and placing it somewhere less affected by your personal movement, like a string hung from the rear view, or something like that.
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ive never had this problem with mine. When I went on a two day road trip it never calculated extra steps or stairs.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    it wont calculate your driving...only your steps. its activated by the movement of your hips when you walk. so even if you walk and HOLD the fitbit, it wont calculate those steps.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    I have a girl on my friends list who complains about this all the time. That would drive me crazy! How are you supposed to get an accurate reading? Take it off before you leave the house, I guess?
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    If we burn calories driving, does it make it worth the price of Gas?
    kidding.
    1st coffee, 1st deep thought.
    maybe need second cup.