EXERCISE totals

Options
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, and I'm just putting in all of my first day's totals of exercise and food. I actually decided to join this site after hearing about something similar at Gold's Gym. I can't remember what they called their program, but they explained that essentially I need to have a deficit of 1,000 calories each day to lose 2 pounds per week. The program they were trying to get me to join cost over $300, but it works the same as this FREE site. Seemed like a no-brainer to me. :smile: Anyway, I looked up my BMR and it says I should be burning around 1,600 calories each day from just normal living (excluding exercise and daily movement).

What I'm wondering is....do I need to put that into the exercise portion or does it do it automatically? I want to be able to see that I have a deficit of 1,000 calories each. That may sound silly, but I'm a visual person and I'm trying to make everything as positive and REAL as possible. (I'm also doing Positive Changes Hypnosis, which I love!)

Any help you can offer in this area is greatly appreciated! I'm so excited to be a part of such a supportive community. This is my first time ever being involved with any kind of online group.:happy:

Replies

• charlie's girl
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, and I'm just putting in all of my first day's totals of exercise and food. I actually decided to join this site after hearing about something similar at Gold's Gym. I can't remember what they called their program, but they explained that essentially I need to have a deficit of 1,000 calories each day to lose 2 pounds per week. The program they were trying to get me to join cost over $300, but it works the same as this FREE site. Seemed like a no-brainer to me. :smile: Anyway, I looked up my BMR and it says I should be burning around 1,600 calories each day from just normal living (excluding exercise and daily movement).

What I'm wondering is....do I need to put that into the exercise portion or does it do it automatically? I want to be able to see that I have a deficit of 1,000 calories each. That may sound silly, but I'm a visual person and I'm trying to make everything as positive and REAL as possible. (I'm also doing Positive Changes Hypnosis, which I love!)

Any help you can offer in this area is greatly appreciated! I'm so excited to be a part of such a supportive community. This is my first time ever being involved with any kind of online group.:happy:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    isnt great !!??

welcome to this website. people here are very supportive and very good help...
    they actualy care about you ... not your wallet ..

as for your question, you dont put your nomal daily activity down, because all that is calculated when you answered the question about your level of activity (sedentary or active ect..) but you must add any extra exercise you do, such as your workouts, in your exercise diary. that way mfp will adjust your daily intake of calories.

good luck !
    may
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    A 1000 calorie deficit each day sounds like an awful lot to me. If you normally eat 1600 calories then you would drop that down to 600?? That will put your body in starvation mode. I would recommend eating AT LEAST 1200 calories per day on top of your exercise calories.
    Try reading the post titled "THE answers to THE questions". I think it will help you quite a bit.
    Good luck and welcome to MFP! :happy:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Is your BMR 1600 cals or is 1600 the number of calories recommended to you by myfitnesspal to consume each day?

If 1600 is what mfp has recommended to you, then mfp has already deducted the calories needed to lose the weight that you input when you were registering (1 lb/wk, 2lbs/wk). Depending on your BMR, a 2 pound weight loss per week may not be possible. When I registered, I wanted to lose quickly, but I couldn't reduce my calories enough (in a healthy way) to do it. My first week, I lost a bunch and since then, I've consistently lost about 1 pound / week. I'm happy with my results and you will be, too, even at a pound per week. Good luck. :flowerforyou:

Just an edit after a quick reread.....You may want to check your BMR on several different websites and compare what they say. I'm with Liz on this one, too.....at least 1200 cal/day in addition to your exercise calories. It seems counterintuitive to consume the calories that you just worked so hard to burn, but you will lose weight.