Advice?

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Okay so I am so pissed off with myself right now!!!

I got a new HRM with school (Personal Training course) and stupidly gave my old one to my grandma without looking at the new one first and realising it doesn't even calculate calories burned?!?!

She has a heart condition and just wants to use it when her heart is playing up to see how high/low her heart rate goes, not for calories or anything.
I would swap it with this one if I could but I have to use it for school and she has another HRM already.

My question is, would it be too rude to explain that to her and ask for it back? :L

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Explain why you used the HRM, and how this one will meet her needs. She still gets a HRM and a newer one at that. A good thank you hug after will also go a long way.
  • shsml
    shsml Posts: 14
    Options
    not at all. Any reasonable minded person would understand x
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    bump
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Why ask for it back? You can work out your calorie burn with this simple formula all you need is your average heart rate, which I am sure your new one will give you and it will probably be more accurate than your other HRM...

I set myself up a spreadsheet with these formulas in so I can calculate my calorie burn when I'm at the gym or out on my bike and most of the time it tallys with MFP's guess.

Calculate the calories burned if you're female. This is given by the equation calories burned = (0.074 x age in years - 0.05741 x weight in pounds + 0.4472 x average heart rate - 20.4022) x time elapsed / 4.184.

For an example calculation, a 43-year-old female weighing 143 pounds exercised for 45 minutes with an average heart rate during the session of 141 bpm: (0.074 x 43 - 0.05741 x 143 + 0.4472 x 141 - 20.4022) x 45 / 4.184 = 405 calories during your exercise session.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/73315-calculate-calories-burned-based-heart/#ixzz1lytHUUyC

If you would like a copy of my very simple spreadsheet, friend me and send me your email address.

Best Wishes
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Because it motivates me knowing how many cals I have burnt at the time?!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I am sure she'd be just as happy with the other one since she is not looking for calories burned.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I'm sure Grandma wouldn't mind doing something to help you, especially if she's got one.