Running Friends, please read :)

Options
2»

Replies

• FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Shameless Bump to get as many people on board as possible.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Nothing shameless about it at all--

Actually, I was thinking of this the other day-- I'm wondering how many of you run with earplugs in and music playing? I'm wondering if Sherry did? My daughter used to have her earplugs in around the house, and would never hear anything we said to her. So when she'd go running, I'd totally freak out about her safety. "How can you hear if someone's coming up behind you, or if a car's coming if your music is blaring?" She'd blow me off. (we've since instituted a no-ear-plugs-in-the-house policy-- I'm NOT going to pull those things out of your ears to get you to hear me...)

But in the aftermath of this tragedy, I'm wondering about the earplugs and iPod world we're living in. Did Sherry have any inkling that trouble was upon her? Did she hear someone coming up behind her, or was it a total surprise? Would you all hear? Can you hear cars or other runners, et cetera?

I'm certainly not trying to start any controversy, just wondering about music while you run and the safety of it.

Ladies, please make sure you're aware of your surroundings-- sights AND sounds when you're running alone.

soapbox.gif
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Im going to keep bumping this today, I think it is a great way to remember someone...

Yes I run with headphones, the other day I was making a new playlist for a class I teach, I had my headphones on at my computer, that way I could get the feel of the music without bothering anyone. The phone rang 4 feet behind me, my husband is sitting on the couch waving at me... I pull out the headphones- What? Didn't you hear the phone? His next response- I hope you don't run with those things in....

Yeah be safe out there.
  • mlachance9
    mlachance9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I heard about this from Another Mother Runner (aka Run Like A Mother) and I plan on running my long run, 10 miles. I have to run earlier though due to family commitments.