What mantras do you have.....when it gets tough......

Options

Replies

• ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When running: "Legs OK? Lungs OK? Keep going then!"
    When doing reps (especially squats and lunges!): "This too shall pass"!
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    1. HOW BADLY DO YOU WANT IT AND WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO DO TO GET IT

2. EYE OF THE TIGER

3. DIAMONDS ON THE SOLES OF MY SHOES

4. BRINGING ME BACK.......BRINGING ME BACK. .....
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    When I just have no motivation at all, I tell myself "I won't get the @ss I want by sitting one the one I have!" lol. Seems to be working for me so far :)
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I recorded a bunch of affirmations with my own voice, leaving enough space in between each so I could repeat them. I added it to my workout playlist. It's great to have the music interrupted every other day or so to remind me of my progress, my goals, and my reasons. Some of them are/were "fake it till you make it" statements, but they keep me focused on the positives. Many were borrowed from or adapted from an app (which I cannot now find on my iTouch to identify, sorry).

Here are just a few:
    I don't need immediate results to stay motivated.
    I've replaced quitting with perseverance.
    I have let go of all doubt about my ability to get into and stay in great shape.
    Everyday I feel stronger than the day before.
    I am worth any effort required to be super fit.
    My motivation to exercise is growing stronger each day.
    I love my new, strong, healthy body, and want to keep it that way.
    Compliments are coming from every direction now.
    I am very aware of the benefits I am gaining from exercising.
    "What one man can do, another man can do." (movie: The Edge)
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My fave is from the 30 day Shred I say it to myself when I am running and I feel I can't go any further.

"You're strong, this is easy for you!"

I kinda believe it for a second and push on!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Good; Better; Best; Never let it rest until your Good is Better and your Better is your Best.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    People who follow Flylady will know this one which I've stolen from cleaning and applied it to working out - "I can do anything for 15 minutes" (Usually that's during a tough part of a run. Once I get past that tough part, I can keep on going)
  • rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Well as embarrassing as it is, I... um.... have this Kindergarten song I sing in the rhythm of what I am doing...you sing it once the way it is and then start replacing all the vowels with an a, then e, i, o and u. And I do it over and over again...:embarassed:

is it the apples and banana's song?! I totally sing that with my son in the car!
  • finding_my_way
    finding_my_way Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    "just keep swimming...just keep swimming"
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Only I can beat me!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't have a saying because I feel a visual is better for me (you know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words) well I made a wallet size of a b4 and after laminated it and carry it with me and put it on the ellitpical/treadmill/bike in plain site for me to see on those days I need motivation or I am on there and 5 minutes in I am just wanting to get off there.... So I can look right at this picture:

Facesidebyside20112.jpg

and know the pain I am going through right now is worth it!!!!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I don't have a saying because I feel a visual is better for me (you know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words) well I made a wallet size of a b4 and after laminated it and carry it with me and put it on the ellitpical/treadmill/bike in plain site for me to see on those days I need motivation or I am on there and 5 minutes in I am just wanting to get off there.... So I can look right at this picture:

Facesidebyside20112.jpg

and know the pain I am going through right now is worth it!!!!

OOOOOOO Wow - great weight loss
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    "Shut the **** up and keep going." Also, "you're not going to die."
  • TonyL68
    TonyL68 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have one, but its not suitable for sharing in mixed company. :)
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    When I'm running, I think of someone who laughed at the idea of me running a half-marathon. That got me through training for it. No way was I gonna fail. And I did last fall, so ha!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    my mantra is:

"Weight is arbitrary, Body Fat Percent is Truth!"
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well as embarrassing as it is, I... um.... have this Kindergarten song I sing in the rhythm of what I am doing...you sing it once the way it is and then start replacing all the vowels with an a, then e, i, o and u. And I do it over and over again...:embarassed:

apples and bananas???

Its a German song actually about Chinese people playing the cello that talk in the street, the police shows up to see what they are doing (Drei Chinesen mit dem Kontrabass, sassen auf der Strasse und erzahlten Sich was, da kam die Polizei, Was ist den dass?, Drei Chinesen mit dem Kontrabass) So yeah, Im five years old... :blushing:
  • onmyway31
    Options
    "just keep swimming...just keep swimming"

I do the same!
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    "Pain is temporary, results are forever"
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just keep pushing myself and telling myself that I can handle it. This is what heart, determination, and focus mean. I distract myself with videos when I push on the treadmill to take my eyes off the clock and just remember that when I started, 3mph was difficult, very difficult.