I Need Some Ideas

Options
So as Some of you know, i reached goal weight yesterday after loosing 50 lbs. Well in less than 24 hours i'm gonna be in Colombia for 4.5 days. I'm super excited, since i haven't been there in nine years and ill be seeing my father and brother after a long time.

So Sunday is father's day... probably gonna eat out
Monday is a festive holiday where there are carnivals and fairs and all the good food.
Tuesday... I'll hope there is something healthy in the fridge for me
Wednesday... Its my Father's B-day... probably eating out again.
Thursday ... i'll be back in Miami and my family will probably want to take me out to eat.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO

What are some tips on weight maintenance... or loss... while vacationing?

Colombia has amazing food that i cannot find anywhere here in Miami, so.. temptation temptation. My Favorite childhood treats and i will be reunited. How can i avoid potential disaster and still enjoy my first vacation in 5 years?

Thank you MFPs!

Replies

• strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    ...I deal with same issues when going back home to Croatia. What I usually do is give myself one day to have my favorite type of food or a treat. That way I still get to experience what I have been missing here in the States, but don't overeat and beat myself up about it later. Remember, it is about the choices you make, not about the numbers. And, if you decide to eat "bad foods" rely on portion control. It is a lifestyle change, right? You will be OK. Don't over think or overstress about this. Relax, have a good time with your family and eat foods you enjoy; not until you are full, but until 'satisfied'. Maybe you can have one "bad" food per day. You don't get to eat like that every single day in Miami, like you said. Have fun girlie!!!! You can do this:wink:
  • davesnow77
    davesnow77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Columbiana,

Sounds like a gret trip. I'm jealous. One thing that may not be on the normal vacation itinerary is just trying to up your exercise while there to compensate for the indulgences. Not something you really want to think about for a vacation, but it sounds like you love food as much as I do, especially getting the real thing when visiting another country.

I would try to schedule time on a treadmill or whatever exercise you could do to offset some of the extra intake. Probably best to shoot for sessions in the AM so you can enjoy more vacation kinds of things the rest of the day & evening. (not always easy if there's a more than normal intake of red wine the night before, but if you want to keep things in check you have to make some sacrifices!)

Maybe just having the attitude of "I'm going have this local treat and enjoy the H*** out of it, but I'm also going to do 1/2 hour on the treadmill tomorrow morning to offset some of it."

Win/Win!
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    First off, WOO HOO on the weight loss! You look fabulous! :flowerforyou:

Secondly, I LOVE the ideas that Strawberry suggested!
    Maybe do one day or indulge in one treat a day.
    That way you still get to enjoy those treat foods that you don't find when you are at home.

Increasing workouts would help, but sometimes when you are on vacation that isn't always easy to work in. So, do what you can.
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You don't want to look back on your vacation and regret anything - either going overboard or missing out. I say eat what you want, just limit portions. And stay active. It's only a few days, you can't do too much damage, and will likely take it right off when you come home.
  • colombiana444
    colombiana444 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    OMG you guys are Amazing!!! Thank you!
  • colombiana444
    colombiana444 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ...I deal with same issues when going back home to Croatia. What I usually do is give myself one day to have my favorite type of food or a treat. That way I still get to experience what I have been missing here in the States, but don't overeat and beat myself up about it later. Remember, it is about the choices you make, not about the numbers. And, if you decide to eat "bad foods" rely on portion control. It is a lifestyle change, right? You will be OK. Don't over think or overstress about this. Relax, have a good time with your family and eat foods you enjoy; not until you are full, but until 'satisfied'. Maybe you can have one "bad" food per day. You don't get to eat like that every single day in Miami, like you said. Have fun girlie!!!! You can do this:wink:

Amazing Idea. Thanks for all the help!