Use for egg yolks?

Options

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I make custard for the children or put them in pastry. Edit - I mean use them to make pastry, not put egg yolks in pre-made pastry, that would be gross.
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    They are good for making sauces richer. I make a creamy pasta sauce with quark and add an egg yolk to it to make it slightly richer. Much more healthy! Or just eat the whole egg. They aren't bad for you!
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    They're a really good way of getting vitamin D in your diet.
  • JoJoBaldwin
    Options
    The old idea that cholesterol in foods affects your own body's cholesterol levels I'm pretty sure has been debunked now, especially where eggs are concerned. Your own cholesterol levels are largely determined by liver function which is in turn determined by lots of other factors. I'd do a bit more research on this and check with your doc on the eggs thing if your cholesterol levels are an issue with you.
    I eat 2 eggs a day and have perfectly normal cholesterol levels. They are full of nutrients!
  • Gazjam_1985
    Options
    You should be careful eating whites only, the egg comes in two parts and both should be consumed, the whites contain something which reduces the biotin levels in your body but because nature is clever the yolk contains biotin to level it out again.

Eating whites only can cause a biotin deficiency.

Eat the whole egg, and log the calories.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Can no one read! She doesnt' want to eat the yolks! thats the whole point of the thread!

I'm currently eating 10 eggs a day whites only. Getting such good results from what I am doing I'm totally over feeling guilty about throwing the yolks out. Its really all you can do.

But hey, I'm shameless, I buy caged hen eggs too.

Maybe the OP doesn't realize it's OK to eat the whole egg. There's so much conflicting information out there. I eat the whole egg too!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    You could buy egg whites in a carton, that way you aren't throwing away the yolk.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    personally I would eat them, but i hate waste so how about a hair mask? lol, seriously - google it!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    For about 2 days I tried doing just egg whites, but I hated wasting the yolks so I posted a similar question. Most people just said to eat them anyway unless you actually have a cholesterol problem.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Eat them. I used to waste the yolk and found myself buying 2 dozen eggs a week for just myself. Plus 2 whole eggs were more nutritious and filling then a few egg whites.
  • miamime
    Options
    I actually looked this up last night! You can freeze them separately and then use them later for pastry (or other desserts) and also for sauces like hollandaise. However, you can also use them as a conditioning mask for your hair which is what I plan to do with mine! :)
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Eat one or two of them a day, its ok really!! The rest mix in a bowl with cucumber puree and apply to face!! LOL!!!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Eat them! The calories are low and the nutrition is high. Studyies have shown that the cholesterol in eggs do not have the affect on the body as it was once thought to be.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    For about 2 days I tried doing just egg whites, but I hated wasting the yolks so I posted a similar question. Most people just said to eat them anyway unless you actually have a cholesterol problem.

This! I seriously don't understand why people eat just the egg whtes and waste the yolks - it is sheer wastage! A quick google found dozens of sites with excellent suggestions of what to do.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    But if you're saving them to put in recipes later... why not just eat them in the first place?
  • missgailPer
    Options
    I felt the same way you did , so I buy egg whites in the carton so much easier in the morning . First I cook mix veggies then just pour the egg whites over it .this makes a great omelet.
  • thea0101
    thea0101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ladies, this may be bad for your diet, but since you mentioned egg yolks.... This is the Filipino wonder that is LECHE FLAN.

http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/07/02/leche-flan/
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i just buy the quart sized carton of egg whites because i hated throwing the egg yolks out..i hear they are good for facials and hair masks.. would have to google that to see for sure
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Another vote for eating them, the cholesterol in eggs has been found not to affect your levels of bad cholesterol.

Other than omelettes, I ONLY eat the yolk, whites only would be my nightmare!!
  • CVAB
    CVAB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you're going to use them later anyway then freeze away. I freeze egg whites and yolks depending on what I'm baking and it calls for one or the other.
    I put them in ice cube trays and then put those in freezer bags.