Hit my Plateau

Options
I have went from 23.3st to 20.2st and no matter what I do I just can't get past this point, this has been the last 2 weeks where I am not gaining but I am not losing either.

I do 1 hour of Cardio 5 times a week at least, maybe I need to up this because my body is more capable of this?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you are not doing any strength training / weight lifting, you should add some.
  • katermoody
    Options
    Oh the dreaded plateau...I would try upping the cardio, maybe 75-90 minutes a session, keep that heart rate up as long as possible. Hang in there and try not to get discouraged!!!
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    If you are not doing any strength training / weight lifting, you should add some.

I don't know if it's a bit early for that, I was thinking of doing some more cv to get the body fat % down then starting weights.

I think it's something everyone must go through at some point, I will maybe try something different than doing 50 mins on the X-Trainer. and my 5 mins warm up and cool down on the treadmill!
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't panic.

If you're keeping good track of intake and exercise, and you're operating at a deficit, the weight will fall off.

Ignore the scale for a while. Don't be tempted by its spinning dial. Get out a tape measure to keep track of your measurements instead. Look at your clothes to see how they're fitting. Celebrate the fact that you can exercise longer and with greater intensity. You're doing great things for your heart, metabolism, strength and endurance. Losing weight and exercise has dramatically lowered your risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and more.

Good luck!
    John
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    Don't panic.

If you're keeping good track of intake and exercise, and you're operating at a deficit, the weight will fall off.

Ignore the scale for a while. Don't be tempted by its spinning dial. Get out a tape measure to keep track of your measurements instead. Look at your clothes to see how they're fitting. Celebrate the fact that you can exercise longer and with greater intensity. You're doing great things for your heart, metabolism, strength and endurance. Losing weight and exercise has dramatically lowered your risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and more.

Good luck!
    John

Thanks John
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the 'ignore the scale' advice - I've had to banish mine (aside from a couple of minutes once a week to weigh in) and in doing so have managed to retain my sanity.
    Hang in there.
  • aimeemusic
    aimeemusic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would do a slight increase in calories for a bit or a day and maybe change up the cardio.

Try dancing at a club or Zumba or boxing or body pump or something to change it up.

Adding weight training will also help.

Changing it up is key. The human body can get aclamaited (spelling ugh!) every easily.
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    NEVER TOO EARLY TO STRENGTH TRAIN!

And it's more fun, especially for larger blokes, to be doing weights rather than trundging on a treadmill.

If you massively up your muscle (and that muscle's activity) you will hugely increase your metabolism and see the weight burn off.

You can actually feel it, that extra heat coming off your body for hours after a workout. Plus you feel ravenous yes but if you eat clean and stick to lean protein (chicken breasts, chicken breasts, chicken breasts!) you will feel great!
  • tommysmom2000
    Options
    Changing it up is key but so is doing strength exercises. You need to build stronger muscles to burn your fat more during cardio. Ignore the bs that muscle weighs more than fat....a pound is a pound. I notice the stronger I become the more intense cardio I can do, burning way more calories than just cardio alone! But is anything that you do, remember that change is key. Muscles have their own memory and doing the same cardio all the time will become easier for those muscles you use & they won't work as hard.

Good luck!
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I sat at the same weight for 8 weeks. I have finally lost 1.5 lbs, but that has taken 2 weeks. I am eating a little more, and have backed off exercising. Next week I'm back at it and I hope to see a more rapid weight loss again. It's called reset or refeed. Not sure about the science of it I am NOT an expert. Just an idea for you....
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    Changing it up is key but so is doing strength exercises. You need to build stronger muscles to burn your fat more during cardio. Ignore the bs that muscle weighs more than fat....a pound is a pound. I notice the stronger I become the more intense cardio I can do, burning way more calories than just cardio alone! But is anything that you do, remember that change is key. Muscles have their own memory and ****doing the same cardio all the time will become easier for those muscles you use & they won't work as hard.****

Good luck!

Good point!
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    Thankfully the plateau was only temporary, I lost 4lb last week after 10 days of losing nothing.

Thanks