Gaining Water Weight

Options
On Wednesday night I weighed 287lbs, on Thursday morning I weighed 289.2lbs. This morning, Friday I weighed 293lbs. I drink in the neighborhood of 160oz of water everyday. I was hoping someone could look at my log and see what you think is causing this change in retention of water?

Allen

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    how much sodium are you eating?
  • mrscdgogan
    Options
    I'm very curious to see what people have to say about this! I just wrote this on my wall this morning! Apparently I have "gained" 2lbs! I just started this journey 12 days ago, and because of water or idk what..I have not lost any weight???? 12 days is longer than I have ever stuck to any diet! I am really trying, and to see the number on the scale go up.... I am baffled!!!:sad:
  • belgianal
    Options
    Wednesday 4,584mg
    Thursday 3,622mg

I know that I am over on Sodium, but what makes no sense is that I was lower in Sodium on Thursday then what I was on Wednesday.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    how much sodium are you eating?
    This and do you have a food scale to make sure your food portions are correct?
  • belgianal
    Options
    I have been measuring everything that I eat.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Your problem is you're weighing yourself more than once a week.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    OP; you need to eat more, my friend. You're putting in some serious workouts, but you aren't giving your body the fuel it needs to sustain itself. If by chance you do continue this road, you run a serious risk of losing muscle mass which will only further inhibit your ability to lose the weight.

I don't know how tall you are or how old, but I'm 29, 5'11, started at 219 with a GW of 189 and I'm eating upwards of 2500 cals a day and still losing. It looks like you should be eating even more than me as you've got a higher body mass and the more mass you have, the more fuel it's going to take to keep those fat burning centers raging.

Do also cut back on the sodium as much as possible; though if you're drinking as much water as you say you are, that isn't the largest of your problems.
  • belgianal
    Options
    This happens every week, but in the end I still end up going down about 2 pounds a week.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Having looked at 7 or 8 days of your diary I am convinced without a shadow of doubt that the fluctuations are down to your carbohydrate intake.

So first off, breath a sigh of relief :smile: you aren't gaining fat.

Your carbohydrate intake varies considerably from day to day. Some days it is low, some days moderate, occassionally high and certainly there is the odd individual meal that is high. This isn't necessarily a bad thing at all as it pertains to fat loss, which I assume is your goal.

As you probably know, carbs get converted to glycogen and that gets stored in all of our muscle cells as an immediate form of energy. Glycogen molecules bind to water which also gets stored (1:3 ratio). So when you eat low carbs you deplete those stores and excrete the water. When you refeed those stores by increasing your carb intake you take water back onboard.

So that is why your weight fluctuates.
  • bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wednesday 4,584mg
    Thursday 3,622mg

I know that I am over on Sodium, but what makes no sense is that I was lower in Sodium on Thursday then what I was on Wednesday.

If you were higer on Wednesday, then it would affect you on Thursday. I ate some ground beef with taco seasoning on mon and tues. Wed and Thursday I was up a cpl of lbs. It wasn't untill this morning (friday) that I was back down.