Log weight during pregnancy?

Options
Wanted to get the community's feedback... should I be logging my weight during the course of my pregnancy? I had lost 18lbs and then when I found out, I didn't want to discourage myself by logging gains time and again but I think it might motivate me to keep exercising if I do.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am loggin mine as it goes up, keeps me accountable and reminds me that while its important to gain, its just as important to keep my gains in control.
  • mkupartist
    mkupartist Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I kind of feel the same way. I've only gained 10.3 so far and i've got 13 weeks to go so i'm thinking i'm doing okay. It definitely is helping remind me that i need to keep exercising though!

I don't want to have to log very many more gains. I just want to stay in the negative when it comes to pound lost pre-pregnancy versus pounds gained during pregnancy.
  • msturgill
    Options
    Well considering how overweight you are then logging apparently is a good idea, as i was told by my doctor this week. I am overweight and had gained 20lbs, with 11 weeks till my due date and they told me to start watching what i eat, thus i am back on MFP, i had stopped logging and apparently that's a problem lol. Sounds like you're doing great with the weight gain though, go you! I was happy with my 20lbs, considering i gained 70 with my first baby lol
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I plan to continue using this site when I get pregnant again to keep myself in check. That will include logging my foods and water intake and keeping track of my weight.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    may as well log it, then you know where you're starting from on your way back down after you have the baby. As long as you are eating well and not doing exercise that is not approved by your doctor it will be fine! And definately don't feel bad if you give in to a craving :) Best of luck and congrats!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Yeah and when the people on your friends list log in one day and see 'mkupartist lost 14 lbs since her last weigh-in' it will be an awesome birth announcement. :-)
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You should use Excel or some spreadsheet to plot what your EXPECTED gains are from week to week while you are pregnant, so you can see what you log in relation to what you should be rather than in relation to your non-pregnant weight. That way you can keep yourself in check, while still gaining enough weight to be healthy for the baby, which is more important than losing weight right now.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What you could do is work with your doctor to find out how much you should gain/lose (or whether you should maintain) while pregnant (the general rule is gain, but that also assumes ideal weight), then set up MFP to reflect that (bonus points for including the various nutrient levels). Doing that can help you keep on track.
  • lysistrataNix
    lysistrataNix Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would log. I was pregnant last year and I did have to watch what I eat because I was told to watch my salt, then I ended up with GD so I couldn't have sugar. I started my pregnancy at 214lbs, by 20 weeks I was down to 201, and by the time I was due I weighed 220. After I had my daughter I weighed 197, then I put on 8lbs and now I'm finally back down and losing weigh. I'm currently 194.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I worked out every day up until the day I went into the hospital when I was pregnant. I still managed to gain 36 lbs even with exercising and really watching what i ate. I still did my weekly weigh ins the entire time I was pregnant just to keep track of my weight gain compared to what the doctor's office was reporting. It also helped once I delivered because I continued to track my weight after I had my son so I could see where I was at the end of pregnancy and post partum.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    log it! I wish I would have done something like that and maybe I wouldn't have gained almost 100 lbs with my first pregnancy.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I plan to continue using this site when I get pregnant again to keep myself in check. That will include logging my foods and water intake and keeping track of my weight.

SAME HERE! That's my plan exactly.
  • jennileeb1680
    jennileeb1680 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    my plan is to continue loggin when I get pregnant again - I gained so much last time, I def want to keep it in check
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Ask the Doctor what a healthy weight gain per week would be. Set you goals to gain a 1/2, 1.. What ever they say is healthy. Stick to it by still tracking.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options

Same here!
  • mkupartist
    Options
    That is actually an AWESOME idea! Thanks!
  • mkupartist
    Options
    I would log. I was pregnant last year and I did have to watch what I eat because I was told to watch my salt, then I ended up with GD so I couldn't have sugar. I started my pregnancy at 214lbs, by 20 weeks I was down to 201, and by the time I was due I weighed 220. After I had my daughter I weighed 197, then I put on 8lbs and now I'm finally back down and losing weigh. I'm currently 194.

It's tough having GD; I haven't had it with either one but worked with someone who did and it is really hard to keep it in check just by diet. It's good to hear that other people have been able to do it. That way I can keep myself motivated!
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    If I found out I was pregnant right now.. I would still log for sure.
  • christinalm84
    Options
    I am going to try! I don't wanna gain 50 pounds again!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I would. Just to track how much I am gaining. I mean your OB will anyways.