Trying to stick with it!!!

Options
Any tips for sticking to a healthy eating plan while working 40 hours a week and raising 4 kids?

Replies

• lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Oh my. The only thing I can say is plan, plan, plan before you go grocery shopping. I am not in your shoes as I am raising my children and NOT working, but I still have to plan all our meals in order to shop healthy. I am sure you probably do this already, but I write down what the meal will be for every single night of the week and shop accordingly. I have also found my low-calorie go-to dinner, which is parmesan-crusted tilapia in the freezer section at Sam's. They are delicious and if for some reason I can't go with the planned meal we still have a good option on hand. That and a baked potato is filling and our little ones like it.
  • chantelle149
    chantelle149 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I only have one kid, so can't compare. But Sundays before the work week starts I get groceries and the cut up the fruits and veggies put them in ziplock containers and bags for easy to grab snacks and lunches. Then I'll make a pot of soup or chili and package them for the week to. Best of luck :)
  • ashleekburch
    Options
    That's a great idea...I'm horrible with menu planning and I have two little ones who don't always make it easy. I will try that suggestion as well.
  • KCalmeyn
    KCalmeyn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    CROCK POT!!!!! Use it often. There are lots of healthy recipes availiable. I also work 40 hours a week, and find it hard to make healthy meals every day and still find time to exercise and spend time with the family.

Here is a recipe that was just posted on here this morning:

CREAMY CHICKEN TACO SOUP (SERVES 6)
    2 frozen chicken breasts
    1 can Rotel tomatoes
    1 can whole kernel corn (don't drain)
    1 can black beans - rinsed & drained
    1 packet dry ranch seasoning packet
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp onion powder
    fat-free cream cheese
    Mix all ingredients except cream cheese together in crockpot. Cook on low 6-8 hours (frozen chicken) or
    high 3-4 hours (thawed chicken). About 1/2 hour before ready, take chicken out of crockpot, shred with fork
    and put back in pot. Also cut cream cheese into cubes and put in crock pot. Stir to mix in, turn crock pot on
    high to melt cream cheese.
    This can be served over rice, in tortillas or however you like. I personally just eat mine in a bowl with
    avacado slices on top. But some topping suggestions would be green onion, tortilla strips, sour cream, shred
    cheese.
    186 cals / 21 carbs / 3g fat / 23g protein / 6g sugar (THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY TOPPINGS)

Good luck.
  • Lkbaker
    Lkbaker Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids and run a DJ business as well as other side jobs here and there. I know exactly what you mean !!! I am sitting down today and working on a month long menu. You can write out just a couple weeks of food and switch it around, Or be more creative with your menu ( I find with my kids, we always seem to be eating the same things anyways) And like the other suggestion go shopping and then prep your fuits and veggies in serving size bowls, easy to grab and you know how many calories you are grabbing. I have to get serious about this and that's what I am planning on doing. Having your menus set up makes it easier to make out your shopping lists and even use your coupons to save a little $$$ while your at it. If you know next week you are having terriaki Chicken and the sauce is on sale this week you can pick it up now :) It's a win-win !! :)
  • JeneForney
    Options
    I definitely agree with the crock pot idea! I recently found a delicious recipe for crock pot chicken fajitas. I used whole wheat tortillas, fat free sour cream and salsa. They were delicious!
    It only took me about 10 minutes to prepare that morning and for only 3 chicken breasts, it made a ton! I'm sure could feed your whole crew.
    Even my hubby (who isn't dieting) really enjoyed them and can't wait to have them again!

Definitely planning your meals out is a must! and I do the preparation thing on Sunday too-- cutting up all your fruits, veggies, putting snacks in sealed bags so you can just grab and go.

One last note, I Love love the healthy choice steamer meals. They are low in calories and delicious! Finally a frozen healthy meal got it right!
    Good Luck!
  • KCalmeyn
    KCalmeyn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions. Also, there is a "recipe" seciton on the message boards here, if you get a chance, check it out.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I posted this in a separate forum but this is what I do:

I get paid every two weeks, so the day before pay day I plan a menu for the next two weeks. I have been using mostly recipes from skinnytaste.com because I have found that most of them are very tasty as well as healthy if you stick to the recommended portions. Since January 1, I have not had the same thing twice and my husband has enjoyed most of the recipes.

I use ziplist.com to create a shopping list. I can browse the recipes from skinnytaste and other great websites and click a button to add them to my recipe box, and all I have to do is click on add-to-list and it creates a shopping list for me. Ziplist also has an app for your smartphone that is free. And they have a toolbar that you can install on your computer that will allow you to click on any recipe on the web and add it to your recipe box.

The only drawback to ziplist is that they don't group like items on the shopping list so I have to spend a few more minutes to do that. I have sent them an email requesting this ability and they gave me a reason why they don't currently do it that way, but maybe if more people suggested it, they would change it.

I have also found that I seem to be saving money this way also. Because I usually take whatever leftovers I have from the night before for lunch the next day and that ensures I am also eating something healthy for lunch.

I have a few standards that I eat for breakfast to make that more of a no-brainer (like oatmeal, peanut butter on whole wheat toast, or homemade egg mc muffins). Hope this helps if even just one person!
  • bradysplus1
    Options
    I am going to try that recipe! It sounds YUM!
  • bradysplus1
    Options
    I love all of the ideas! Planning ahead seems key. (which I did this week...and got the grocery shopping out of the way!!) Less trips to Kroger means less impulse buys!

I've done well so far this week too. I've brought my oatmeal to work for breakfast!

Thanks everyone for the tips and encouragement! :smile: