let's talk about drinking

Options
We own a bar and I go out drinking at least 2 or 3 times a month.

Today I plan to cut a few calories from each meal so I have more left for going out tonight. Then I will alternate between alcoholic drinks and non-alcoholic drinks. I don't want to get "drunk" anyway, I just like to have a few drinks. I will ask them not to overpour, too.

How do you make going out for a few drinks work with your diet?

I know I could just quit drinking but I don't want to and I think my diet will work better and last longer if I am still able to do the things I enjoy.

Also, what drinks have you found that are low calorie?

Replies

• mecollett
    Options
    I drink vodka and water (or soda) with a squirt of 0 cal mio for additional flavor. The only calories you drink are from the vodka!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't do low cal drinks, as I don't drink diet sodas or artificially sweetened stuff. I try to get a workout in that day to earn extra calories, then I order whatever I want. I am a wine or beer kind of person, so it isn't too hard to make room for a few of those.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I think it is important that people understand the way alcohol metabolizes in the body. The amount of calories in a drink are not the only thing that needs be be watched out for. Let us not forget that alcohol is created with sugar.

It is good that you are going to rotate non alcoholic beverages with the alcoholic ones.

Here is some information on how our bodies metabolize alcohol, for anyone interested:

How is Alcohol Metabolized?

When alcohol is ingested into the body it makes contact with our mouth, throat and esophagus. Something that I will cover a little later, will explain the reason why people who drink regularly are at a higher risk of cancers in these 3 areas.

Alcohol then passes to the stomach, where about 20% of it is absorbed almost immediately into the blood stream, especially on an empty stomach. With food, absorption is delayed. This will explain too, why the effects of alcohol are so quickly felt most times.

The remainder of the alcohol passes through to the small intestine, where it is further absorbed.

Once alcohol enters the blood stream it is fair game in terms of where it will be carried. Although the body’s main goal is to get it to the liver and detoxify this substance, it will first circulate in the blood stream a bit, where it is delivered to various tissues, namely our brain, and hence that explains the effects we feel. Bottom line, we have to understand that alcohol has an effect on all cells in our body.

Our liver can metabolize or in this case detoxify about 1/3rd of an ounce of alcohol (about 8-10 grams of alcohol) per hour in a healthy adult, with generally speaking less so in females. This is less than 1 drink per hour to fully be cleaned out of our system, as there is typically ½ of an ounce of alcohol in a standard drink regardless of what it is.

So once it gets to the liver, what happens? Well mainly put alcohol is metabolized in our body like fat. Yes, you heard it. The body treats alcohol like fat. Using an enzyme known as alcohol dehydrogenase, the liver converts the metabolic by-products of alcohol into fatty acids. These may be stored in the liver or transported for storage in other tissues. So besides its rich energy content, is it any wonder why regular drinkers support what is commonly known as the “beer belly”?

This may all not be that bad, if most people had one drink per week or so and called it quits, but at most social events, that is completely not the case, with many people having multiple drinks in a relatively short amount of time. This increases the amount of alcohol circulating in the blood and the time that it spends there, leading to many ill health effects. In fact alcohol is causally related to more than 60 different medical conditions. Because the liver cannot keep up at this point, one may also start to experience an increase in urination frequency as the body tries to rid itself of the alcohol faster from the body.

The problem is that the more alcohol is put into our system, the more of a back log takes place, as the liver just cannot handle metabolizing more per hour. Physically at this point most people would be in what is called, an intoxicated state or “drunk”. If one should happen to continue drinking, such as in the cases of binge drinking, the body knows that it has to clear this substance out of our bodies faster than the liver, kidneys or urine can handle and that is usually the time that most people start to vomit. If this did not happen the alcohol would poison us.
  • jkburns29
    Options
    I would love to learn about some low cal drinks. I've heard of celebs drinking vodka waters or vodka seltzers. I looked into how many cals were in those drinks using a flavored vodka (because plain with water just sounds not appealing to me) and I was shocked to learn that a single shot of a flavored vodka can have as many as 140 calories. I was shocked to learn that I could have 3 Bud 55 for just a little more then one vodka water! I haven't looked in to how any cals are in Rum, but I have heard that Rum has no carbs.
  • unionironworker
    Options
    vodka and vitimen water
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I drink just about every day. Usually 1/2 bottle of wine during the week, light beers after work on Friday and on dart night. The weekends are usually wine, sangria or good beer (not light). I just count the calories, keep the food in my diet nutrient rich and healthy (most of the time). I not only met my goal, I exceeded by 7 lbs, maintained that for about 6 months and now have started losing slowly again.

I don't think it's a good idea to eat much junk and drink regularly because you'll likely lack nutrients since you are using so many calories for alcohol. But if you are careful with your diet and exercise regularly, you can drink, lose weight and be healthy.
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ^^^^I love wine as well and would like some great examples of some of the meas you prepare to keep you within your goals.
  • jkburns29
    Options
    I just saw a Bacardi and Diet is only 65 Calories!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ^^^^I love wine as well and would like some great examples of some of the meas you prepare to keep you within your goals.

For protein at dinner we eat a lot of grilled fish, roast chicken and dried beans. Occasionally lean beef or pork.
    We eat a LOT of fresh veggies - usually roasted, stir fried or sauteed in olive oil. Lots of variety, but not many salads. Mostly cooked, but that's just a personal perference.
    We don't have a grain every night, but when we do it's usually brown rice, quinoa or a brown/wild rice mix.

Breakfast is usually a glass of chocolate soy milk. Lunch is usually leftovers.

Snacks are nuts, granola bars, fruit, dry roasted edamame, low sodium V8, milk, apple or veggie sticks with hummus or pb.
  • jwb_
    jwb_ Posts: 9
    Options
    this is a topic I really need to be educated on as I can sit and drink pint after pint but at 200 cals a pop im can drink over a days worth of empty calories in one go!! I am going out tomorrow night and need a suggestion for a low cal drink it cant be wine or vodka and coke, or soda water or tonic I hate them all!! Feel like i'm not left with much!?
  • Milletp
    Options
    Capt Morgan and diet coke, 60c
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    for me, 1 is generally enough & just once a week. i don't go low-cal bc I like me my classic cocktails (sidecar, old-fashioned, bee's knees [for the name mostly!]), it's a treat. I soak it up.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I used to drink a CRAP LOAD -- I work in/around the music and nightlife industries! -- yet exercise and eat "healthy" and wonder why I wasn't making any progress. I'm sorry to say that if you're unlucky like me and have a body that holds on to fat, you may have to skip drinking completely for a while. That's what I had to do to finally get down to a healthy weight range.

I find that even if I stay within my calorie limit for the day, alcohol -- but especially beer -- will set me back a few days, now that I'm just trying to get the last few pounds off. So like others have said, I really only bother when it's something I REALLY like, like a really good cocktail or wine, etc.

But generally if I need to pick something, vodka soda all the way, with lime. Only about 150 calories for a heavy pour. Yum :)

Generally if you are really trying to count calories and like beer, I think light bottled beers are the "safest" because you don't depend on someone's pour, so you know exactly how much you are getting.
  • razfabulous
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all of the quick replies and some very thorough ones, too!

I usually drink Bacardi & Diet. I love my rum. I did drink vodka and soda water before but it was too plain, but adding a splash of Mio sounds fun. I haven't tried Mio yet but I may pick some up tonight.

Thanks for the tips, keep 'em coming.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    if you are eating on a calorie deficit, i do not recommend "saving" calories for a night of drinking, as you'll essentially be eating on an empty stomach.

if you are just going to have one or two drinks a few times a month, i wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I usually do Bacardi and diet coke or vodka with club soda.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    if you are eating on a calorie deficit, i do not recommend "saving" calories for a night of drinking, as you'll essentially be eating on an empty stomach.

if you are just going to have one or two drinks a few times a month, i wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Pretty sure he meant "drinking" on an empty stomach, but I agree.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    i go for low calorie spirits with diet mixers.. like a JD and coke is about 40 cals (i think) so its not too bad, also if you dance take that in to account as you will burn a fair amount of calories then but make sure you eat a decent amount first.. i agree don't save calories up for drinks, earn them by doing some exercise before you go out :)
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Hell I just don't eat dinner when I go out drinking. I factor it into my calorie count. and some nights when I'm short on calories for the day I fill it with beer :drinker:
  • jwb_
    jwb_ Posts: 9
    Options
    I think im sold on the captain morgan and diet coke!!