help to overcome the urges

Options
OK so i have had an account on here for along time but when i seem to be doing good i end up not coming back. Well i weighed myself the other day and i have gained most of it back :(....My main thing is when i get bored or depressed I want to eat something and it gets really bad at night....any help on ideas of how to over come the depressed, bored, or because its there wanting to eat urges???

~amanda

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it is all in your head and you have to get the strength to power through. Try replacing your night eating with better choices, like low cal popcorn...things you can eat a decent volume without sabotaging yourself.
  • fleandroy
    fleandroy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Some tips for keeping yourself busy which I find help distract me are:

- drink a glass of water or diet fizzy drink (fills you)
    - go for a walk / jog / run
    - paint your nails (this one always holds me off for at least 30mins whilst nails are drying!)
    - clean the bathroom
    - don't buy junk food that way it's not in the house

This works for me buy some days you just have to concede that you're going to indulge and just need to get right back on it the next day....
  • jkburns29
    Options
    I'm not a supporter of diet pills, but I do take the One A Day Weight Smart Multivitamin and its helps reduce my cravings. I have a big problem with boredom snacking and I've found that I don't have the desire when I take the multivitamin. It doesn't take my hunger away completely like diet pills can do so I still eat. I just don't mindlessly snack anymore. The more I stay away from the sugary snacks the less I crave them. Its part of a sugar addiction. The more sugar you eat the more you want it. Here is one snack I really like if I want something savory.

Boil Asparagus for about two minutes then take it out and immediately run it under cold water to stop the cooking process (Blanced Asapagus) It cooks it perfectly Not mushy and you won't chew on it forever.

Make a dipping sauce of 1 tbsp plain greek yogurt and dijon mustard to taste.

If I want something chocolate I have 1 Jello Mousse Temptations in Dark Chocolate. Only 60 cals and no sugar!

If you want potato chips, Pepperidge Farms makes Cracker Chips. You can have 27 of them for 140 Cal. Count them out and put the bag away.

Nuts are a good snack. They increase your metabolism by 11% but do not over eat these because they are high in calories. Pistachios have the lowest cals.

Drink a glass of water. It fills your belly.

Get up and move. Go for a walk, clean something etc.

If your craving something, satisfy it with a low cal option. If you don't you'll end up eating more trying to satisfy it. If its boredom, try to make yourself or your your mouth busy. Chew gum, celery, suck ice.
  • ntsmomma1
    ntsmomma1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of the advice guys :)...i didnt record my food for the last couple days but i have been muching junk food :(...i got some bean dip (beans, cheese, tomato, onion, and black olives) and ate it with some chips last night and it was a healthier alternative to my Doritos craving lol.....yea i am going to try and work on doing something to distract myself hopefully that will work....hmm yea i could clean the bathroom that will definitely kill my hunger and make my mom happy lol
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i rely on sugar free jelly, i eat pints and pints of eat as its only 11 cals per pint! and i drink hot chocolate on those cravings... but i do not not allow myself anything, if i want it i eat it!! but will always record it to keep in check on my daily allowance..x

good luck!
  • HoosierMomma1
    HoosierMomma1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My biggest diet buster s eating at night and it is soo difficult to overcome. I decided I would try to beat it by eating something very filling but low cal. I microwave 1/3 of a cup of popcorn in a brown bag then add some seasonings. It helps me fill up and reduce the cravings. Also lots of fiber :0)
  • MaddoxsMommy
    MaddoxsMommy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    so you take regular plain popcorn and put it in a brown lunch sack and microwave it?
  • HoosierMomma1
    HoosierMomma1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes-I saw it on dr oz and couldn't believe I never thought of it! We love to do this because we can control what is put on it so no more prepackaged microwave popcorn and we don't have to drag out the hot air popper. One tip though, if you use the preprogrammed popcorn button on the microwave button we've found that it is about 10-15 seconds too long and would sometimes burn.

I love the $$ we've saved and the convenience