Tough couple of months...

Shanimal84
Shanimal84 Posts: 34
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have actually gained 13 pounds... I am now at the heaviest I have ever been. I've been battling quite a bit lately: being laid off, Dad in the hospital, discovered I was dating a married man, etc etc etc. Being an emotional eater combined with all the stress around me hasn't exactly helped matters either.

I haven't been holding myself accountable and no one else in my life has been either. I feel miserable all the time now - physically, emotionally and mentally. I am even lacking the motivation to go to the gym right now. Which is ridiculous, right? I mean, weighing 228 pounds at the age of 24 :noway: should be motivation enough!

I certainly don't expect a pity party, but I would like to know if anyone else has gone through this?

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    I had a rough few months - not quite as bad as that.
    i survived via a amazing friends/gym partner/ obsessively arranging my schedule to leave me by a gym for 2 hours with nothing else to do 2x a week :laugh:
    i'm sorry about all you've gone through.
    go to the gym NOW. you'll feel SO good. if you've exercised before, you KNOW THIS.

So don't wait for more responses. Go.
    And you can read what others said on this thread afterward.
    Why wait another second?
  • roz192003
    roz192003 Posts: 6
    :cry: Im sorry about what u have been thru.. I know about being an emotional eater... I am a victim of that as well... U and I both know that u will feel better once you go to the gym.. if nothing else try and take out some of ur frustration at the gym.. maybe kick boxing class or something... Stay strong and focused..

Roz
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Girl, you can do this! If not go to the gym, at least go for a walk around the block or dance around in your home. Just do something to get yourself moving for a few minutes and see how much better you feel for accomplishing something! Once you've achieved that, work on going to the gym. Just ease yourself back into all of this and you'll stick with it for the long term.

I know all about emotional eating. For me, it's all about control. My husband is being deployed and there is nothing at all that I can do about it. I'm helpless and alone now. I decided that rather than let this control me, I was going to do something to control it - eat healthy and exercise! My former self would've let the food take over, only to be angry later on that I gained so much weight and let so much time go by before I did anything about it. I know it's so hard to take that first step towards getting what you want but once you do, everything else seems to follow. So, just do it. Just throw away the junk food or give it away and get moving for 15 minutes. You'll be so glad you did it! I cannot say that I have EVER once regretted working out! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I know what it's like to be so down that even the thought of walking around the block seems like too much to bear. The only way to find motivation is to tell yourself that eating will not, and does not ever make things better. Think about it, do you really feel better an hour after eating a big bowl of ice cream? I know I never do...It feels good while you're eating (if you're lucky), but as soon as the food is gone, so is any good feeling you got from it. This is what I'm trying to teach myself now.

Second, you never feel better than you do after a good workout. Compare those feelings to the feeling of having not worked out that day. All in all, eating right and working out makes us feel better. We're only punishing ourselves when we don't do it.

Believe me, working out and eating well for me is torture, but I know it's the only thing that's going to improve things in my life. :flowerforyou:
  • Shanimal84
    Shanimal84 Posts: 34
    Thanks everyone! I do truly know how amazing it feels to go work out at the gym... I actually used to be a personal trainer in my prime. :grumble: Haha!

I still have my membership to 24 Hour that hasn't been utilized in a few weeks... I'll probably head over there before the night is over with and sweat my butt off (even more so than I have been in this ridiculous Texas heat...) :wink:
This discussion has been closed.