those who use Wii Fit

Options
I just bought Wii Fit the other day. My Wii fit age is....... 42!!!! LOL I am only 24 years old. I think that thing is a bit silly though. It weighed me accurately, at 158lbs and for my height and weight I am in a "healthy range" but barely...I was right up to the line. The Wii says that I should weigh 140 lbs, that sounds right for me, my first goal weight is 150, and then I will go from there. Anyways, my question is, how do you work out on the wii? Is it just because I am just starting, and the exercises are easier? Does it get harder as you go? or am I missing something? I just felt like for $100, I would get more of a work out in... So far the only thing I like about it is that it keeps track of my weight and BMI, but I also have MFP for that and it's free...

Replies

• Marebare74
    Options
    It depends on which stuff you do.... The strength training stuff will do just that, and the yoga can help build up your core. A lot of the balance games will also build up your core, but you are playing so it doesn't really feel like a workout. The only real cardio workouts are the running, step and hula hoop. Try doing advanced hula hoop and you will feel a workout of sorts. I think the idea of wii fit is to be playing but also getting some excise, unfortunately, it's not really a hardcore workout, but it can be fun!
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It is hard to get a strenuous workout in with Wii Fit. I really think it is meant to get people up off the couch and moving, maybe for the first time. Its weight tracking tools I find to be very useful and accurate. I also like the feature where I can use the stepping game while watching tv. The rhythm sounds through the remote, and you can set it to however many steps you want to do. Then you switch your tv back to tv and off you go!

When it calculates your Wii Fit age, I think those silly coordination games are what count the most. My age was something like 50 when I first started. I can get it down to about 28 (I'm 36) with practice.

There are other fitness titles for the Wii, some of which use the balance board. Biggest Loser and Zumba come to mind. So, have fun with your Wii Fit, and maybe check out some other games too if you need something more strenuous.
  • bump040510
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else is saying!

This actually makes me feel really good though, because I am 41 and my Wii fit age is always between 20 and 28! I remember when I started it was sometimes as high as 50! I also notice that the stronger my core is the better my balance is. This morning I was 49.9 and 50.1. I like the hula hoop and the boxing, both of those can be done in 6 minute increments, which is nice. Just long enough to burn a few calories, yet no so long that it doesn't feel fun anymore!
  • PurpleSweetpea
    Options
    I bought a step riser from Amazon for my wii to make it a bit more of a workout. I do the wii free step quite a bit as you can catch up on tv at the same time.
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm glad I am not the only one feeling this way. Maybe I will try out some of the other games too! It is definitely fun to do, with the hubby and the kids, as far as game playing goes. I had never played wii fit before, so I guess I was just expecting a little too much.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit is great for those out of shape or new to exercising. I love playing the games on it. It's really kind of silly, but you do move your body more than you would have otherwise! I love the Fit Age, it really encourages you to get into better shape if it's really poor. I haven't used it in ages.... I use Dance Dance Revolution and a Gold's Gym workout game on my Wii. They work me a lot harder!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    We got Just Dance 3 last week and love it. It has me moving more than anything else (except boxing, but I find that one boring). We danced until we couldn't move.