NSV (Half a Marathon)

Options
Josedavid
Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
Well, I will put it here as a NSV because in fact it was... but I am sure that if i jump on the scale it would turn in a SV!

I was running NOTHING like four months ago... I was 29kg fatter than now, and now I am 112kg and really close to my target weight (the first target was to lose 30kg!)

The point is that this morning I ran my first Half Marathon: 2hrs04min and 3400kcal burned!

I am so happy for that and so grateful to my MFP friends... they are always there ready to help!

The race was at 5:45am (why? because in Jeddah, pls google map it, we are now like 26-30 degrees Celsius) and it was tough. Actually I allowed myself to run and fast walk if needed but at the end I didn´t fast walked at all, so I ran the whole 21.097km.

I suffered the last 4km and yes, that is the point were the fight is not against the clock or against your body but against your mind. I was not sure to take part in the race but I decided to give it a chance and guess what? I DID IT!

I will just reproduce what many other Spanish athletes says in these kind of occasion... VAMOOOOOOOS!!!

Thanks dudes and dudettes for all your support (but nobody would be mislead... nobody runs for you, nobody do the diet for you, nobody but YOU!... they help and they listen you but your commitment, your attitude is key for any achievement you want to go through)

Thanks for the good words all of you!

Replies

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    What a HUGE accomplishment! Congratulations
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is so impressive - congrats!!!
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    wow!! I am so proud of you !! yay!!
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    DUDE....You rock!!! What an incredible accomplishment!!! Keep on killing it, Killer!!!
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    What a spectacular accomplishment! Be proud! You rock!
  • renu74
    renu74 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    fantastic, thrilled for you.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You've come a long way! Your dedication has certainly paid off.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    congrats! That's a great NSV!
  • nixnax
    nixnax Posts: 42
    Options
    Massive well done to you.

I did my first half marathon in Sept 2011 and that feeling when you cross the line is unlike any other isn't it?? I almost cried I was so happy.

big clap :)
  • Josedavid
    Options
    Massive well done to you.

I did my first half marathon in Sept 2011 and that feeling when you cross the line is unlike any other isn't it?? I almost cried I was so happy.

big clap :)

"Almost cried"... well, I CRIED LIKE A BABY!
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I needed that encouragement today . . . and well done!! :drinker:
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Outstanding! That is a great time for your first half marathon!!!
  • Josedavid
    Options
    Thank you! I needed that encouragement today . . . and well done!! :drinker:

That´s why we are here....
  • burgenah
    Options
    Inspiration. I'm training now for the San Diego Rock and Roll (half) in June. Thank you for posting, THIS IS AWESOME!! CONGRADULATIONS :happy:
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow, absolutely amazing! Well done, what a fab time! have my first half next Friday, I am just hoping to make it!
  • Josedavid
    Options
    Wow, absolutely amazing! Well done, what a fab time! have my first half next Friday, I am just hoping to make it!

I was not either thinking on taking part in this Half Marathon and when the running club coordinator asked us to confirm our attendance I told him that I would not take part in the race but I offered my goodwill to help as a volunteer.

We have to take into consideration that my first 5K was somewhere out in Oct I think.... and it was 36min.

The coordinator replied me back that there were a man who will do the race fast walking and if I fast walked at a pace of 8km per hour I could do it ontime.

My jogging budy was taking part, 65 years old bloke with 5 Marathons already ran. I told to him that this was not my time, so newbie in the running world to try such a big distance. Even if we run 10km two or three times a week I only tried 15km once and I had to spend like 5 days in my recovery process.

Anyway some days later I said... "What if..."

And I made it.

I had such a great time with my music playlist! I chose some rock and pop-rock oldies instead of techno that I use for shor distances.

The landscape around was just magical! I mean, Corniche (promenade), when the night is being defeated by the day... sun rising up, mosques around with its nice shapes...

I forced myself to go slower at the beginning, whenever I saw my HRM (Timex Ironman Global Trainer, it's a must have!) and I saw I was in 5min30sec or 5min40sec per kilometer I slowed down to 6min/km.

I ran 10km... which I really knew the feelings... I went to 15km... which I already made it once... and I was sailing in a sea of feelings beyond the 15th km.

Between 17th and 19th Km I was fighting with myself not to stop.

I allowed myself to walk if needed but I felt strong enough to keep jogging...

We couldn't buy any energy jellie, they are almost not available in Saudi Arabia (because people really do not do exercise!) and the clip of my small waist pack broke 5min before the race so I was there, running with no extra nutrients.

I had water enough and I planed the resources very well but my body was asking me for some nutrients... I was burning like more than 3 thousand kcal in my km number 19!

Finally I reached the finish line!

Great feelings, great music, good planing and hey... today is the day after and I can walk! haha!!

KEEP GOING YOUR GREAT JOB... YOU ALL CAN DO WHATEVER YOU DECIDE TO DO!

COMITTMENT!!

ATTITUDE!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!