need advice on creatine supplements for women, weight traini

Options
Hey, are there any women out there using creatine, I'm really starting to get into weight training and I bought some creatine tablets (1000mg) as i've read they are one of the oldest and best ways to improve endurance and recover muscles quicker. Just want to know about peoples experiences using it? advice on loading phase? it says take 2 before workout and 2 after but im cautious this is a general instruction aimed more at male users so was thinkin of halfing? also have any women experienced the bloat or weightgain that is sometimes said to come with creatine use? Any advice is appreciated!!

Replies

• cooter2533
    Options
    I'm not a woman or an expert by any stretch but ill share my experience, I started at 253 and am down to 210, I have taken creatine basically the whole time, started with creatine mono pills now I'm taking kre akaline which is basically a ph balanced form of creatine that is suppose to absorb at a better rate. From studies I have read it is loading is not needed. The study showed people that loaded would have better gains the first 2-3 weeks but then after 6-8 weeks the people that loaded vs didn't load were essentially equal in terms of gains from day 1. That being said I went ahead and loaded 20 grams a.day for 5 days. A lot of poeple experience bloating and small weight gain do to excess water weight. I did not however and lost 2 lbs the week I loaded still. I would recommend taking 3-5 grams a day everyday whether you strenght train or not, and I have always taken half pre workout half post workout. Good luck :) you will definitely see strenght gains in a few weeks and you may not expience as sever muscle fatigue
  • jwb_
    jwb_ Posts: 9
    Options
    thanks for the response, wow seems like youve had a really good experience with it am really looking forward to seeing if it works for me my biggest problem is muscle fatigue so if it can help improve that ill be happy, i think ill follow the recommended amounts and load for a week, I have creatine monohydrate but you say youre now using kre alkaline, what is the difference?
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    I have taken it...it did really help me before. I think I did recover quicker as well as better tone and definition.
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    I take creatine as well. When a women takes it, it is important to have high quality, better absorbing creatine. I take http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4014925

It is quick absorbing, a convenient 2 pill dose, and has been highly effective for me. Normally I take it for 6 weeks, and cycle off for 2-4. I'm close to my desired results, and will most likely stop after this last bottle, and this is my third cycle. No loading, or any of that necessary. I wouldn't recommend Mono for women, it made me bloat a lot, and gain nearly 5 pounds, I had none of these issues with this type. It's really the old school, although cheaper, and newer science points to the better results here. Hope that helps.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    Hey, are there any women out there using creatine, I'm really starting to get into weight training and I bought some creatine tablets (1000mg) as i've read they are one of the oldest and best ways to improve endurance and recover muscles quicker. Just want to know about peoples experiences using it? advice on loading phase? it says take 2 before workout and 2 after but im cautious this is a general instruction aimed more at male users so was thinkin of halfing? also have any women experienced the bloat or weightgain that is sometimes said to come with creatine use? Any advice is appreciated!!
    The loading phase hasn't been scientifically proven. I would say 5grams a day should be fine. Make sure to keep drinking a lot of water though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    http://www.muscletech.com/products/creakic/index.shtml

I cannot recommend this product enough. You will notice the difference in your first workout and you can take it during also :-)
  • jwb_
    jwb_ Posts: 9
    Options
    hey, thanks for the reply. Just wondering how many grams a day you take? and how would you say it has impacted on your workouts? just trying to get an idea of what to expect
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I weight train regularly (heavy weights, not 10# dumbbells to be clear). My coach recommended that I use whey protein or whey protein isolate to increase strength and decrease recovery time. I asked her about creatine and why she doesn't recommend I take it. She said basically it kind of depends on my personal goals, which are: to increase strength, mobility, flexibility, and speed (she said endurance will come naturally as I continue to train), and decrease body fat %. She suggested that because I wasn't looking to put on muscle, necessarily, the way men and some females are, that Whey protein would be enough for me. She said I create a similar effect of creatine naturally when I take short rest periods throughout my workout. It takes approx 30- 60 seconds for creatine to slip back into your muscles during training. So the few brief seconds that I take to switch from dead lifting to pull ups to squats, allows my body enough time to "creatine recharge".

Also, on a side note: I was born with kidney problems, so my coach suggested that i keep watch on my protein intake because it can cause further damage to my kidney.

So, I'd say try creatine for a month or two and see how you like it and if you notice a difference. Then go without it for a month or two and see if you notice a difference. Then decide for yourself. I don't think creatine will harm you in anyway, unless of course you're downing it by the liter every day. But just be wary of the problems that it can cause. Stay in tune with your body, listen to it. Only you will know if something doesn't feel right.
  • hyperkate
    Options
    The tablets take the ammonia and lactic acid away from your muscles so you can train harder and cleaner. I take 2 after I have worked out, but some people use for intra workout. You can take in the morning too. You can google how to take this product.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The loading phase hasn't been scientifically proven. I would say 5grams a day should be fine. Make sure to keep drinking a lot of water though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

this. I believe it dehydrates your body. Also i was told this Kre-Alkalyne stuff is better for your liver than creatine? i dont know if there is any truth to this.

I took it for the first 6 mo. i started working out but also noticed that it made me break out on my shoulders so i stopped taking it. oh, and it makes you pee a lot.

But i think it did help to gain muscle mass.
  • cooter2533
    Options
    Also when you take it pre workout take it 45-60 mim before you start, it takes about that long to absorb into your blood stream. Also I forgot to mention to make sure you drink plenty of water, I think this is why I didn't experience any bloating and many people do. Lack of water consumption
  • hyperkate
    Options
    I too recommend taking whey protein too :-) I would take first thing in the morning and again at bedtime. The creatine I really do recommend post workout as it feeds the muscles and repairs them and helps with post aching. You do not, however have to take the recommended doseage as this is what body builders would take. I would half or even third the doseage so you do not build too much :-)
  • hyperkate
    Options
    Pre workout can be taken half hour before working out and it helps take nitric oxide and oxygen through the blood to the muscles to give your muscles more pumps and helps you to work out for longer.
  • cooter2533
    Options
    Protein is the most important, you should be getting around a gram of protein per lbm. Not sure your size but id say 80-100 grams a day would be plenty. Also if you start drinking protein shakes do it post workout within 60-90 minutes of lifting. This is the very most important time to muscle building. Also ignore the post about not taking the recommended amount of creatine. If you do not take enough to keep your muscles saturated then it is pointless. And its not like taking more creatine makes you build more muscle then taking a little. It doesn't work that way. Also like I said earlier make sure you take atleast half you creatine dose pre workout 60 minish before. It takes about that long to absorb and once it absorbs you have about 90 min to start using it before your body will turn it into waste and it won't be usable.
  • arich17
    Options
    I never took creatine specifically, but I have taken supplements that had creatine in them. Cardio Cuts is by far the best I have ever taken, so much energy for your workout, helps you sweat, and helps burn fat. Oh and of course most importantly makes you not want to stop. As far as weight training supplement, you should definitely get your hands on some protein powder. I've tried a couple different ones and I swear by power maxx. It tastes good, has helped me build a lot of muscle, and definitely helps you not be sore after some intense training.
  • hyperkate
    Options
    Protein is the most important, you should be getting around a gram of protein per lbm. Not sure your size but id say 80-100 grams a day would be plenty. Also if you start drinking protein shakes do it post workout within 60-90 minutes of lifting. This is the very most important time to muscle building. Also ignore the post about not taking the recommended amount of creatine. If you do not take enough to keep your muscles saturated then it is pointless. And its not like taking more creatine makes you build more muscle then taking a little. It doesn't work that way. Also like I said earlier make sure you take atleast half you creatine dose pre workout 60 minish before. It takes about that long to absorb and once it absorbs you have about 90 min to start using it before your body will turn it into waste and it won't be usable.

Recommended doses are often aimed at body builders not people who don't want the same effects as a BB. Of course you can ignore it and of course I won't take offence but I work within the industry I am not just one person taking the product :-)