sugar

Options
does it matter if u go over on the sugar and anything else as long as ur within ur cals, i have a problem with stayin under the sugar

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    cals in cals out that's pretty much it, it's called the law of thermodynamics, any one can argue all they want but it boils down to that. You should try to hit your macros though.
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    thankyou :happy:
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It's right hard to stay under the sugar allowance!
    I've had to cut my portions of fruit down because 3 pieces almost makes me over my allowance.
  • witchywillow
    Options
    i think sugar in fruit is ok coz its natural sugar, i'm not sure tho, better to eat fruit i would think, i have to have my one a day banana lol
  • leomakarov
    leomakarov Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    (I got this from a different forum I'm a member of. It belongs to rlp1963. Hope this helps)

Fruits contain simple sugars - glucose and fructose as well as fibre which slows down the absorption of carbohydrates resulting in a lower glycemic response. Your body needs glucose ( a source of energy) but not sugar. So while you should try and avoid refined and added sugars, naturally occuring sugars are ok. That being said, if you are trying to loose weight some fruits are better than others due to their sugar/fibre content. Basically fruits that grow in norther climates (apples, peaches, pears, berries, cherries) have less of an impact on your insulin levels than tropical fruits. If weight loss is your goal you are better avoiding bananas, pineaple, mango, watermelon, grapes, etc due to there higher glycemic index.

The best time to eat fruit is on an empty stomach, by itself (eg 15 mins before your breakfast or well after a meal). This allows it to be quickly digested, so it is readily available to be used by muscles and therefore not likely to be stored as fat.

Also, eat fruit unpeeled to get the max fibre (obviously this doesn't apply to grapefruits and oranges!)
  • dinosnopro
    Options
    (I got this from a different forum I'm a member of. It belongs to rlp1963. Hope this helps)

Fruits contain simple sugars - glucose and fructose as well as fibre which slows down the absorption of carbohydrates resulting in a lower glycemic response. Your body needs glucose ( a source of energy) but not sugar. So while you should try and avoid refined and added sugars, naturally occuring sugars are ok. That being said, if you are trying to loose weight some fruits are better than others due to their sugar/fibre content. Basically fruits that grow in norther climates (apples, peaches, pears, berries, cherries) have less of an impact on your insulin levels than tropical fruits. If weight loss is your goal you are better avoiding bananas, pineaple, mango, watermelon, grapes, etc due to there higher glycemic index.

The best time to eat fruit is on an empty stomach, by itself (eg 15 mins before your breakfast or well after a meal). This allows it to be quickly digested, so it is readily available to be used by muscles and therefore not likely to be stored as fat.

Also, eat fruit unpeeled to get the max fibre (obviously this doesn't apply to grapefruits and oranges!)

do you have a link I would be intrested in seeing the information
  • leomakarov
    Options

http://www.everydayhealth.com/forums/healthy-eating/topic/sugar-in-fruit
  • dinosnopro
    Options

http://www.everydayhealth.com/forums/healthy-eating/topic/sugar-in-fruit

The only benefit the fiber in the fruits has is that some diabetics can safely eat fruit. The idea that anything (sugar , fat, carbs or even too much protien, I've heard it all) "Turning" into fat is wrong. What "turns" into fat is excess calories, if you google the law of thermodynamics in dieting it will show what I am talkig about. There was a Dr. that all he ate for 10 weeks was twinkies (imagine the sugars in them) and lost weight all he did was stay within the calories he needed so he did not have an excess of calories I apologize if I come across a bit rude, but miss infor mation will derail any diet

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • leomakarov
    Options
    The only benefit the fiber in the fruits has is that some diabetics can safely eat fruit. The idea that anything (sugar , fat, carbs or even too much protien, I've heard it all) "Turning" into fat is wrong. What "turns" into fat is excess calories, if you google the law of thermodynamics in dieting it will show what I am talkig about. There was a Dr. that all he ate for 10 weeks was twinkies (imagine the sugars in them) and lost weight all he did was stay within the calories he needed so he did not have an excess of calories I apologize if I come across a bit rude, but miss infor mation will derail any diet

How is eating some fruit over others "derail" a diet plan ? You stated yourself that it's the calories that count. Eating twinkies will get you into a hospital in no time. Anyway, the question from the user was about cutting sugar intake, nothing else.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by "does it matter." Does it matter in terms of weight loss--not technically. Technically, it's calories-in-calories-out that matters...thermodynamics and yada yada yada. But I don't know about you, but for me...my body chemistry might be very technical but my mind is NOT. For me, the more I eat things with refined, white sugar, the more I crave things with refined white sugar and cravings sabotage my weight loss, and I think they do for most people. Since I've cut sugar out almost completely, I do not crave those foods anymore. Thus, my weight loss has been much, MUCH more successful.

Also, it does matter in terms of your health. Sugar may spike your blood sugar levels if you aren't careful and mindful about from where your sugar intake is coming.

It's probably best to stay within a close proximity to the guidelines that MFP has laid out for daily sugar intake (a little bit over isn't too bad, especially if much of the sugar is due to eating a lot of fruit, which is why I sometimes go over even though I hardly ever eat foods with refined sugar, high-fructose corn syrup etc).

I hope this helps... it's all just based on my own experience, and may not apply to everyone.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's right hard to stay under the sugar allowance!
    I've had to cut my portions of fruit down because 3 pieces almost makes me over my allowance.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if it's coming from fruit. That's one of the downfalls of a computerized program... it's not a nutritionist.
  • leomakarov
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much if it's coming from fruit.

I second that.
  • dinosnopro
    Options

How is eating some fruit over others "derail" a diet plan ? You stated yourself that it's the calories that count. Eating twinkies will get you into a hospital in no time. Anyway, the question from the user was about cutting sugar intake, nothing else.

http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/fw/fwNut03Carbs.html#

Myth: Sugar in fruit is good, sugar in candy is bad.

Fact: The sugar in most fruit is primarily fructose, which has few, if any, advantages over sucrose (the sugar in candy). So it doesn't matter, for instance, if your jam is sweetened with "sugar" or "fruit juice sweetener."

what op asked was if it was ok to be over on sugar as long as she was under cals. Simple answer yes, For most people dieting is very mentaly taxing and when they have to worry weather or not they messed up their diet by eating a snickers bar over an apple it can lead some to give up. Adiet boils down to cals in < cals out, the law of thermal dynamics.
  • lionwes59
    Options

• witchywillow
    Options
    thankyou everyone for all ur constructive advice, it is all very helpful and i have read every comment :happy: :happy: :flowerforyou:

i have completely cut out tea and coffee coz i had to add sugar to it, i dont miss it a bit, i drink plenty of water and have the occasional options light hot chocolate which i dont add suagr too, i just didnt want to stop havin my fruit coz it was adding up on the suagr. i have now changed my settings so i cant see the red number on my sugar at the end of the day lol

its all kool thx again guys xx
  • witchywillow
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by "does it matter." Does it matter in terms of weight loss--not technically. Technically, it's calories-in-calories-out that matters...thermodynamics and yada yada yada. But I don't know about you, but for me...my body chemistry might be very technical but my mind is NOT. For me, the more I eat things with refined, white sugar, the more I crave things with refined white sugar and cravings sabotage my weight loss, and I think they do for most people. Since I've cut sugar out almost completely, I do not crave those foods anymore. Thus, my weight loss has been much, MUCH more successful.

Also, it does matter in terms of your health. Sugar may spike your blood sugar levels if you aren't careful and mindful about from where your sugar intake is coming.

It's probably best to stay within a close proximity to the guidelines that MFP has laid out for daily sugar intake (a little bit over isn't too bad, especially if much of the sugar is due to eating a lot of fruit, which is why I sometimes go over even though I hardly ever eat foods with refined sugar, high-fructose corn syrup etc).

I hope this helps... it's all just based on my own experience, and may not apply to everyone.

hiya

yes i did mean did it matter to weight loss :happy:

im a total newbie, only been following this plan for 3 weeks, i have loss 3lb already and i didnt wanna ruin it, i have cut down on a load of refined sugar but not totally, i still have a teaspoon on my porridge in the morning lol but maybe wen im use to all this that may go gradually, , i havent eaten any chocolate bars for ages but if i really fancy one and my cals allow i will lol and had already cut down my portions before i found this site, i always try things without sugar but if its yuck i will add some lol, thankyou for your comment very helpful
    [/quote]
  • witchywillow
    Options

oh damn all the fruits apart from mangos i like lol
    blueberries, cherries, peaches ok, still better fruit than choccie bar i think,
  • leomakarov
    Options
    My wife and I have been using Truvia for the last couple of weeks. It's available at most supermarkets . No complaints so far, except for a slightly different taste than regular sugar. After a couple of days I was used to it.