Gym Anxiety

Options
Hi all,

So I feel like I have a problem.

In high school I was in a weight training class. Truth is I only did it so that I could have the same lunch hour as the few friends I had... Anyways it was NOT a good class. Sure I lifted and I felt like I was ok at it but the girls in my group were just snobby rude and condecending. I didnt wear the right clothes, my hair was too short to go in a ponytail, you know general "you dont fit in" high school ****.

Move on to college. I was a health and human performance major, with the hopes of getting a job in the scuba industry. I occassionally went to the campus gym witha couple friends but nothing regular and we pretty much just did cardio since it was a limited gym.

Move on to the Navy. We used to have to go into the gym as part of daily PT. Out on the field I was fine. Running, swimming great. But the gym? Heart racing, palms sweating, all knowledge of what to do with a lat pull down machine fled my brain.

So now present day I find myself today doing my warm up then heading to the gym. The problem is the second I get to the door I just cannot make myself cross into it. All the machines intimidate me. I feel like everyone is watching me thinking "she obviously doesnt know what shes doing, Why would she lift so little/so much, whats with her clothes/hair?" I literally fell like I just ran 4 miles when I try to go into the gym alone.

I NEED to weight train. I CANT afford a personal trainer. I think that I need a consistent friend who will take me into the weight room and show me what and how its done. Does anyone else have gym anxiety?

Replies

• waldron8
    Options
    Sounds like you are having a panic attack related to the gym. Have you tried to go with a friend? That way you can concentrate on the friend and not the surroundings.
  • njsdallas
    Options
    Yes. Believe it or not I think everyone STARTS at where you are.
    When I was in middle school and high school I was a skinny guy, 6' and 170lbs. I ran track, played basketball and soccer. I was not strong. The whole reason I got on the track team was so that I wouldn't have to go into the 'off season' and do weight training. Some of the guys there were already huge and I couldn't lift much more then the bar on the bench press. So imagine the anxiety a girl has and exponentially increase it as guys would literally equate how masculine you were to how much you could bench - as your worth of a man. :)

Anyhow. After only about 3-4 weeks of hitting the weights I saw immediate improvements. I always pushed myself, not to what other people were doing around me, but what I thought I could do... then just another rep more. By the 2nd month, I was still small, but the comrodery in the gym changed, all of a sudden when they would announce my reps and weight people would still chuckle. But then afterwards most of the actual strong guys in the gym that worked out hard, would come up to me and say something like... "Man you've really put on some muscle, that's a huge improvement!" All of a sudden those were the same guys I was afraid of. That were now encouraging me or would come help me spot the weight. They were there for the same reason I was, to get strong and push myself.

I'm a big believer of "whatever you put out into the world, you get back in return". So my advice about the gym. Go in, have a general routine or list of exercises you want to do. Have a good playlist of music that will keep you motivated. Go in for 2-3 weeks to get a nice baseline of what you can/can't do (amount of weight related) and then once you are comfortable with your routine, look to find someone that is a familiar face that you've seen at the gym. Maybe someone that keeps to themself as well, but seems to be motivated about their workout. I would generally recommend a same sex person. Just ask them if they can 'spot you' with whatever exercise you are about to do at that time. In my own experience, I have NEVER had anyone say no. And those people will come to you asking you for a spot when they do something. Bingo- you now have a subtle gym friend.

That person can be someone you go up to and one day say, what are you working on today, or do you mind if I work out with you today? Gauge their response. Some people are like you and want a partner! Some people though are happy to help others spot and want someone to spot them, but they don't want a workout partner, they would prefer to do it alone. Hopefully you can calibrate their response and attitude towards the subject and go from there.

I ended up working out with 2 other guys (3) 3 times a week. It was unspoken and wasn't planned. We just always saw each other, helped each other with spots, and slowly became acquaintences. Then one day, it was "are you gonna be here Thursday, same time? if so I'm doing Back and Biceps if you wanna work in with me?"

People ALL want encouragement. Don't believe me. Tell someone at the gym, have you lost weight? Or, your arms look like you are getting strong! - be sincere obviously. Watch the reaction.

What you put out, you will get back.

Nolan-
  • LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    Don't worry about what other people think, and focus on YOU. Remember, everyone was a "newbie" at one time. I went back to the gym today for the first time in years, and even though I felt fat/frumpy, it felt GOOD to be back. See if you can get a friend to join with you, or you could also see if your gym has personal trainers - sign up for a few sessions with a trainer who can show you how to use the different machines and set you up with a basic workout. Also, sign up at a gym that feels comfortable to you - I tend to avoid the "trendy" gyms and love the bare-bones muscle gyms where I don't have to worry about wearing the latest designer workout duds, or deal with a "meat-market" atmosphere.

Good luck to ya... :)

Laurie
  • aqua172
    aqua172 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing. I just keep trying. After a couple of times making it to the door, I make it in. The day I make it in, I barely work out. Next time I manage more. Just push yourself farther and farther out of your comfort zone every day, and eventually you will be able to get in there and work out with the rest of them. Then once you are comfortable at the gym, don't stop going! If I don't go for awhile the anxiety level resets itself.

I have really bad anxiety and have found the only way to get over it is to make myself uncomfortable, do things that are way out of my comfort zone. Example: Pole dancing class, belly dancing class, going to the gym

The more I push myself the more I desensitize myself to the anxiety.
  • rocketass99
    rocketass99 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Do you still have base access from the navy? I was a trainer there for almost ten years and we didn't charge for training. The other thing you could do, and this is hard, ask for help. Lol People that are working in the gym should be able to show out around and how everything works And if they can't, your at the wrong gym