5 ft and under before and after photos

Options
2»

Replies

• th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hey! so I am 5'1" and was hoping for some advice..
    I am 20 years old and weigh 115lbs, trying to lose between 10 -15 lbs in the next four months. I do cardio (hiking) 4-5 times per week and I also do some strength training during the week. I am keeping within 1200 cals per day, and eat back my exercise calories, but I am only losing about 0.8lbs per week.
    Is this normal? Or are you finding it easier to lose weight faster? Do you eat back your exercise cals?

I heard that its hard to lose weight the lighter you are, but not sure if that's a myth! I want to go at a steady pace, but also want to speed up the process a bit if possible!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm also 5'-1" and 24yrs old, currently weigh 125lbs, trying to lose another 10-15lbs. When you only have 10-15lbs to lose, it tends to be slower, and 0.8lb per week or less is normal. I try to eat between 1200 calories and maintainance (1600), and I eat back some of my exercise calories (but not all...I don't trust MFP's estimates). It's taken me ~3 months to lose ~7lbs, but I'm already looking a lot better. It's slow going, but try to stay positive and focus on the overall downward trend and the positive changes to your figure, not just the number on the scale. :smile: And don't be afraid to step up the strength training!

Thankyou for this as I am at 128lbs and want to loose about 8 lbs but its going really slow and I was wondering why?
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!

You are doing fabulous. I am losing anything between .4 or .2, .8 and sometimes nothing, Scale is not freaking moving. There are two days my intake is 1600! I am doing same thing you are doing in terms of exercise and calorie consumption!

I completely understand your frustration! I've only weighed in twice so I'm just hoping that I won't slow down even more (but we will see on Monday!) I was just a bit shocked at first what with some people saying they're losing 2, 3,4 lbs per week. Do you find that you are noticing changes in your shape even if you're not losing weight? Becoming more toned etc?
    I had a look at your pics are you are looking really great even if you are losing slowly!

Thank you for your kind words! I definitely have more definition on my abs and tone arms, no muffin top well defined torso but still working on thoses legs (major problem area for me). No More Trouble Zones, Jillian Michaels is helping me 3 X's a week! Failure is not an option and I want to be perfect before Bikini Season!
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    Hey! so I am 5'1" and was hoping for some advice..
    I am 20 years old and weigh 115lbs, trying to lose between 10 -15 lbs in the next four months. I do cardio (hiking) 4-5 times per week and I also do some strength training during the week. I am keeping within 1200 cals per day, and eat back my exercise calories, but I am only losing about 0.8lbs per week.
    Is this normal? Or are you finding it easier to lose weight faster? Do you eat back your exercise cals?

I heard that its hard to lose weight the lighter you are, but not sure if that's a myth! I want to go at a steady pace, but also want to speed up the process a bit if possible!

I'm also 5'-1" and 24yrs old, currently weigh 125lbs, trying to lose another 10-15lbs. When you only have 10-15lbs to lose, it tends to be slower, and 0.8lb per week or less is normal. I try to eat between 1200 calories and maintainance (1600), and I eat back some of my exercise calories (but not all...I don't trust MFP's estimates). It's taken me ~3 months to lose ~7lbs, but I'm already looking a lot better. It's slow going, but try to stay positive and focus on the overall downward trend and the positive changes to your figure, not just the number on the scale. :smile: And don't be afraid to step up the strength training!

Thankyou for this as I am at 128lbs and want to loose about 8 lbs but its going really slow and I was wondering why?

In my opinion, the closer to your goal the hardert to lose the last 5-8 pounds! You certainly need to have 3 days of cardio and strength training exercise, watch portion control and measure as sometimes I underestimate my calories. I stay between 1100-1200 3-4 days a week and 1600 2-3 days and the scale is moving fairly slow. Once you are consistent with keeping calories 1200 for a week, than scale starts to move in the right direction. Consistency, drinking water and watching and measuring food consumption; helps a great deal!
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    wow! you look amazing :)
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/twinmama1987

^^ my before and after pics. Lots of them
    sw:195 lbs
    cw: 147 lbs
    1gw: 135
    fgw:115-120 lbs
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I don't have any body pictures because I never took any when I weighed 183, but if you look at my pictures, you'll see what the difference between a 5'2'' person weighing 183 pounds and a 5'2'' person weighing 105. I know this might sound nonsensical, but to hell with it. Faces count, too.
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    Okay, so I don't have any body pictures because I never took any when I weighed 183, but if you look at my pictures, you'll see what the difference between a 5'2'' person weighing 183 pounds and a 5'2'' person weighing 105. I know this might sound nonsensical, but to hell with it. Faces count, too.

Faces, arms, buttocks, legs and every body part counts! I can certainly see difference on your face ..:smile:
  • nsaetern
    Options
    nsaetern-I'm just curious but can you please tell me how many calories it takes for you to maintain 100 lbs? When I was losing I settled in at 110-115 for my maintainence at 5 ft tall, but would love to be lower, but the thought of having to eat less to maintain a weight any lower kept me from actually wanting to lose more lol.

Hi

I am still eating about ~1200 calories daily. I have gotten so used to this caloric number so my body doesn't miss needing more. It is just a matter of me being good with myself and not splurging with empty calories. I have reduced my work out intensity however since I am not trying to lose anymore weight, but rather just working out enough to maintain it.
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    nsaetern-I'm just curious but can you please tell me how many calories it takes for you to maintain 100 lbs? When I was losing I settled in at 110-115 for my maintainence at 5 ft tall, but would love to be lower, but the thought of having to eat less to maintain a weight any lower kept me from actually wanting to lose more lol.

Hi

I am still eating about ~1200 calories daily. I have gotten so used to this caloric number so my body doesn't miss needing more. It is just a matter of me being good with myself and not splurging with empty calories. I have reduced my work out intensity however since I am not trying to lose anymore weight, but rather just working out enough to maintain it.

Thank you for sharing. There are many of us who want to achieve this goal. You are absolutely right, your body adjusts to calorie consumption of 120, I did not exercise as much over a year ago when I was 100 pounds. I forgot how I maintained this weight, great friendly reminder!
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    I'm glad you posted that you are eating 1200 calories to maintian. So many people try to tell me (4'10) that to maintain my goal weight of 100lbs that I will eat 1800 calories or something. Whatever. I've weighed 100lbs before.
  • Lora0626
    Lora0626 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bump -- another shorty here... :-)
  • nsaetern
    Options

When you are heavier, you require more energy to move that weight during exercise and daily activities. So as you get lighter, you burn less calories doing the same exercises since you're moving less weight. So to combat that, you have to increase your work out intensity. For example, when I started (127lbs), I was running 12:30 min miles for about 1 hour. As I made it closer to 100lbs, I had to start running 10:30 min miles for the same amount of time or more. (but also as the weight came off, the faster pace became more manageable which was great!)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, I'm a little over the requested height - I'm 5'3".
    My starting weight was 124.4 (Not my heaviest, but when I came on here that's what it was.)
    I maintain a 1200 cal/day and do my best to never go over. I go for 30 minute walk/jogs with my fiancé and our dogs a couple times a week, and we play about an hour's worth of volleyball once a week. So far, I've lost 8 lbs since about... January.

I've noticed some people saying they go over calories, and I'm sorry but I'm sure that has something to do with why you're losing so little - though everyone's bodies are different. I've also completely changed my eating habits and eat a lot of "healthy" meals. Don't get me wrong, I splurge sometimes and have junk food but I always make sure it fits in with my calories.

Losing .2-.8 lbs per week is totally normal for people with less to lose, please do not get discouraged. I wish you all the best of luck.
  • nursegnet
    nursegnet Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

I am normally between 115-118 lbs if I don't count calories and do light exercise (run a few miles a few times a week).. this is where my body wants to be naturally, which is not bad...

But in August of 2011, I went on a 3 week vacation with my boyfriend and ended up at 127 because we were eating out every meal and not exercising at all. 10lbs gained is not terrible, but on someone like me with a petite frame, it makes a big difference.

So when I came back from vacation, I joined the gym. I dropped about 5 lbs the first 3 weeks, but I didn't like that it took me 3 weeks to gain 10 and the same amount to only lose 5. So I got serious. This is what I go by, and still do now:

1. 1200 calorie diet (joined MFP)
    2. hit the gym about 6 days a week. 4 days spent on cardio; at least 1 hour on the treadmill or elliptical and 2 days on strength training. (I do 2 days cardio, 1 day strength, 1 day rest, then repeat)
    3. I cut my carb intake from about 60% to 30%
    4. Eat only lean protein.
    5. I eat 3 meals a day (~300 cal each -- lean cuisine prepared frozen meals really helps here) and snacked on fruits and veggies for the remaining calories allowed.
    6. I cut off my eating at 8pm!
    7. I do reward myself with snickers (my favorite candy bar), but only in the fun size. =)

I followed this a much as I can, I wasn't terribly strict on myself, but once the pounds started coming off, I kept sticking to it more consistently and at the same time it also became much more manageable.

Once I made it to 115 lbs and saw the weight coming off decently, I continued my routine. I run a lot of 5k and 10Ks, with a half-marathon here and there. Weighing less has improved my pace greatly, so it was also a motivation factor for me to keep losing the weight. I made 100 lbs right before Christmas, so it took me about 4 months to lose 27 lbs.

I am very content at this weight, all I have to do now is maintain it. =)

I hope this will help some of you. And please let me know if it does help, I'd love to hear your success stories too!

Thank you for this! You did an awesome job!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    im 5 feet tall started at 154 pounds size 8

DSC02953.jpg

5e606abf-a74c-4325-8c3b-bd439114a078_zps5d23c227.jpg

140 lbs of muscle size 3

Hawaii2013545_zps9045b6b1.jpg

Hawaii20131083_zpsbe864f7e.jpg
  • teenasbody
    teenasbody Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am 4'10" 41 years old mother of 3 :-)

Weight at after picture was 137lbs I have gained 10lbs and now back on track to get that off... Hope this helps

SW 167
    CW 147
    GW 135

fd52f052-f2e5-4a44-9123-69c1e59708cb_zps0d4404b2.jpg
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Bump! To remind me to contribute next week when I do my next set of before/durings (I take pics monthly). Last month's photos are in my profile if you want to see them now :).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!