Any healthier recipes for PB&J and Grilled Cheese sandwiches

Options
I am going crazy trying to find one!
Please help, thanks so much! :smile:

Replies

• mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    you could get Better N Butter Peanut Butter. i found it at Trader Joes. it's 100 cals for 2 tbsp instead of the usual 190 cals. it doesn't quite taste like the real thing, but it satisfies my peanut butter craving without as much guilt :)

grilled cheese...not sure. just look for lower calorie bread and cheese. instead of butter for the bread, you could get the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray - 0 cals. or you could make "ghetto" grilled cheese. toast 2 pieces of bread, put a slice of cheese in between the toasted bread, then put the sandwich in the microwave until the cheese melts.
  • StartingOver12
    Options
    Sweet Grilled Cheese:

2 slices Ezekial cinnamon raisin bread
    1 slice reduced fat swiss cheese
    I can't believe it's not butter spray

220 calories,6g fat,165 sodium,36g carbs,2g fiber,6g sugar,9g protein
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    For grilled cheese, I have a toasted cheese sandwich, use a whole lot less butter, and then put it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Yummy cheesy goodness.

I don't do PB&J, but I love me some PB&banana. 1 slice of bread, 1 tbsp of peanut butter. 1/2 banana and wrap the bread and PB around the banana.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Low-cal Kraft Singles have 30 cals a slice and I don't taste the difference between buttering the outside of the bread vs plain - I go nuts dipping in salsa anyway!

Add cooked chicken breast to make it more filling and add more protein to your count.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love PB&J...I use it for breakfast on toast some mornings, and it's great. The only swap I've made is to use Nature's Own 100% Whole Grain bread, in lieu of white bread. Same old peanut butter and jelly (or jam, in my case), a tbsp of each. Given that I usually, like I said, either eat it on its own for breakfast, or as a filling snack on a light day, the content of the sandwich really isn't bad. In fact, it stacks up across the board with lower numbers than my regular cereal (Kashi Go Lean Crunch), except sodium.
  • mclukey
    Options
    They have this stuff on amazon.com called PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter and Powdered Cocoa Peanut Butter - 85% Less Fat and Calories...I have never tried it but the reviews are really good...You could get some low sugar or no sugar jelly and that should make the pb & j much less in cal and fat.
  • icewindfirex
    Options
    PB&J
    -Jif's Natural (heaping tsp - I find it's plenty)
    -2 slices 45 calorie sara lee bread
    -Sugar free jelly
    = 140 cals

Grilled cheese
    -Kraft "fat free" american cheese - 25 calories
    - Butter flavored pam
    =115 calories
    You can also add another slice of cheese if you like it really cheesy :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pb&j - 100 % Whole grain bread, all natural peanut butter, and fruit only jelly, soft fruit slices (pears, peaches, etc.) or baby food fruits.

Grilled cheese -- 100% whole grain bread and reduced fat cheese. Grill in a mix of olive oil and butter, or olive oil and margarine with no trans fat, or just olive oil. You could also spray the bread with olive or canola oil and toast in toaster oven.
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    They have this stuff on amazon.com called PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter and Powdered Cocoa Peanut Butter - 85% Less Fat and Calories...I have never tried it but the reviews are really good...You could get some low sugar or no sugar jelly and that should make the pb & j much less in cal and fat.

I have this PB2 and its pretty darn good. the PB is dried and pressed, so there are no oils in it and then you add water and mix, voila! peanut butter!

Too bad i found out i cant eat peanuts, so now its just sitting in my drawar with no home...
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I made a PB & J for breakfast. I used 45 calorie per slice bread, 1 tbsp of Aldi's natural peanut butter & 1 tbsp of sugar free seedless blackberry jam. It was 190 calories for the whole sandwich and it satisfied my craving.
  • amandaruiz2011
    Options
    PB&J
    -Sugar free jelly
    = 140 cals

Grilled cheese
    - Butter flavored pam
    =115 calories

Does the butter flavored Pam work as the butter on the outside of the bread?
  • rachelmarie1
    rachelmarie1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    sometimes the calories are ok.. you just need to look at the actual ingredient list to make sure that a bunch of bad stuff isnt added. When i eat a peanut butter/strawberry sandwich, i know that the calories are worth it. I choose a high fiber bread, mine has 3x the fiber per slice compared to a lot of breads. The average person should be eating at least 20g fiber per day. One pb/s sandwich gives me 9g of fiber. So when i eat my 400 calories I dont feel bad. Plus I feel full for like half the day. You can always mix up your peanut butter sandwiches by slicing a banana and putting it on there, sounds weird but taste great. You can even sprinkle some raisins on there! :drinker: This is want my usual sandwich looks like:

Krema peanut butter NATURAL smooth & creamy. (only ingredient= peanuts)
    2tbsp= 190 calories total fat 16g (sat 2g, poly 5g, MONO 8g) sodium=0 , sugers 2g. fiber 3g
    yeah its high calories, but it is only from peanuts, not added sugar, and there is NO sodium

I also use: Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat with Honey Hearty & Delicious Bread
    2 slices= 200calories, Total fat= 2g, Fiber= 6g

I normally use the Smuckers Jam w/ 50 calories... Im going to try:
    Smuckers Sugar free strawberry preserves w/splenda w/only 10 calories per 1 tablespon
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    you could get Better N Butter Peanut Butter. i found it at Trader Joes. it's 100 cals for 2 tbsp instead of the usual 190 cals. it doesn't quite taste like the real thing, but it satisfies my peanut butter craving without as much guilt :)

grilled cheese...not sure. just look for lower calorie bread and cheese. instead of butter for the bread, you could get the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray - 0 cals. or you could make "ghetto" grilled cheese. toast 2 pieces of bread, put a slice of cheese in between the toasted bread, then put the sandwich in the microwave until the cheese melts.

Yep, I agree with this one, I use low fat cheese, low carb bread, and butter spray for grilled cheese. PB&J, there is sugar free jelly, again low carb, low cal bread, you can use sandwich thins. and then just go light on the peanut butter.
  • naplidon96
    Options
    PBJ-
    2 slices Wonder light wheat bread [40 cal each]
    Walden Farms Peanut Spread [zero calories!]
    Walden farms fruit spread[any flavor u like, also 0 calorie!]

Make like regular peanut butter, u get a full pbj sandiwch for 80cal!

Grilled Cheese-
    2 slices Wonder light wheat bread
    2 slices Fat Free Yellow American singles

Make like regular grilled cheese. 140 cal. grilled cheese sandwich!
  • go_fast
    go_fast Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use a light rye bread 70 cal. a slice & the slices are regular sized not thin. Low fat cheese & butter spray.
  • icewindfirex
    Options
    It does! I find if you just make the grilled cheese with no form of butter/spray it just burns and does not taste that good. Spray both slices with the pam and you get the butter flavor :)
    PB&J
    -Sugar free jelly
    = 140 cals

Grilled cheese
    - Butter flavored pam
    =115 calories

Does the butter flavored Pam work as the butter on the outside of the bread?
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    You can dip the bread in an egg white for grilled cheese. Learned this from the Oxygen Magazine.