YOU are the EXPERT! How did YOU break your stall?

Options
Hi!

Yes, another question on the dreaded stall! I think I have hit it and actually went up 3 pounds for an entire week! I workout moderately for my body and I maintain low to average calorie intake.

I know what the experts say and have read ALL of the articles. But what I want to know is what did YOU do to break your stall, how long did it take, etc.

Please share! And thanks in advance!

Replies

• carlageek
    carlageek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    With patience. Some weeks you lose, some weeks you don't. Some weeks you can even gain. Here are some words I posted about this the other day:

It would be nice if your weight just marched cooperatively downward week after week but that simply isn't the way your body works. Nearly everyone loses in fits and starts.

Your body weight depends upon more than just what you eat and how much fat you burn. It depends too upon how much fluid you are retaining in your tissues, which in turn depends upon many factors, some of which are within your control and some of which are not. Fluid retention can be caused by sodium intake, dehydration, not getting enough sleep, changing your exercise routine, sore muscles that are healing, hormones, the weather - more factors than one can count or control.

These fluid-weight fluctuations can be up to 4-pound swings, even more for some people. So even if you lose 1-2 pounds of fat in a particular week, fluid weight can easily mask that in your total body weight and make it look like you haven't lost any fat.

Because fluid retention can easily mask several weeks' worth of actual fat loss, it's not really meaningful to look at a one-week change in weight and decide that you are not losing or have hit a plateau. Changes in your body weight are really only meaningful on a several-week or longer time scale. Give it at least 3-4 weeks before you start thinking in terms of a plateau. Stick to your plan and be patient. It's the only thing you can do.
  • Shelle68
    Shelle68 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Mostly just waited it out! Drinking extra water has also helped me break a stall. Adding in a cheat day. Oh, and trying new exercises! By either taking a class or buying a new workout DVD.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I had stopped losing for about 6 months or so, though I had met my non-scale goal and was trying to decide whether I cared to lose more. I decided I'd like to take off another 5-7 lbs and lose at least another inch off my waist. So, I upped the intesity, but not length, of my workouts and dropped my calories lower a few days a week, but not every day. And since doing that I've lost another 1 lb. It wil be slow going at this point though I'm sure.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I ate a little less
  • bmwgsa1
    Options
    I decided to fast for a couple of days a week (48 hour cycle) - it worked for me.
  • annettehoyt
    annettehoyt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am still kind of there with you - my trainer said that women weigh differently different times of the month, without even doing anything different, so don't be too hard on yourself. Look at the time of the month, fluid intake, and water retention. My trainer told me to try to eat more good, healthy fats and oils to help my metabolism, so that is what I am trying., And drinking more water! Stay strong and keep working hard!
  • Shelle68
    Shelle68 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bump
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are truly measuring accurately, using a food scale. Then stick to your calories. Look up food in different sources to make sure you're not using inaccurate data.

Don't try to lose crazy amounts, so you go into starvation. A pound a week is plenty. But don't overestimate your activity -- most people are actually sedentary if they don't have a physical job. "Comatose" isn't one of the choices when you enter your data; "sedentary" is appropriate for a desk job.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    For me it was increasing my calories, lowering my carbs and sugar, increasing protein, fiber and fats. I was stalled and going up. kept experimenting with different combos until I tried easting thge way I did when I used to powerlift. Boom everything kicked into high gear. Everyone is different tjouigh, so try experimenting give each experimen a week to see how your body reponds. Keep a good record of how you feel each day and how your body responds to the nutrients. I don't beleive it's just a measure of calories in and out. I beleive the kind of foods we eat are very important.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I do nothing different. I continue on my eating and exercise plans. The weight will go down when it's ready. In the meantime, I achieve better fitness and lose inches. It's all good.
  • RichT65
    Options
    I am not an expert on the matter but I have been there a few times myself. I dont think of it as a stall but rather a plateau where the body is adjusting itself to the change in weight, and that is a very good thing because you are more likely to keep the weight off. the best thing to do is be patient and keep doing what you are doing. Watch your calorie intake and exercise as usual. starving yourself is the worst thing to do and increasing your workout is great if you plan to continue after you "break" the stall otherwise you could see some weight come back and maybe even stall again. I started a few weeks back and lost 8 pound rather quickly and have been in a stall for a couple of weeks now but I am not worried because I know that it will start once again to drop as it has many times before. Usually once it starts to move down again I will drop several pounds and stall once again. I expect it to happen and am glad for it. The reason it is difficult to lose the weight in the first place is because you body has become adjusted to it. The body will try to maintain its current weight, storing or disposing fat inorder to do it. By allowing the body to adjust to its new weight it will try to maintain the weight. This will actually make it harder to gain the weight.... yes harder to gain the weight back. Thats if you give it time to adjust and is why many people lose weight but it keeps on coming back they dont give it time. So my best advise is to be patient ... good things come to those who weight... :)
  • RichT65
    Options
    I am not an expert on the matter but I have been there a few times myself. I dont think of it as a stall but rather a plateau where the body is adjusting itself to the change in weight, and that is a very good thing because you are more likely to keep the weight off. the best thing to do is be patient and keep doing what you are doing. Watch your calorie intake and exercise as usual. starving yourself is the worst thing to do and increasing your workout is great if you plan to continue after you "break" the stall otherwise you could see some weight come back and maybe even stall again. I started a few weeks back and lost 8 pound rather quickly and have been in a stall for a couple of weeks now but I am not worried because I know that it will start once again to drop as it has many times before. Usually once it starts to move down again I will drop several pounds and stall once again. I expect it to happen and am glad for it. The reason it is difficult to lose the weight in the first place is because you body has become adjusted to it. The body will try to maintain its current weight, storing or disposing fat inorder to do it. By allowing the body to adjust to its new weight it will try to maintain the weight. This will actually make it harder to gain the weight.... yes harder to gain the weight back. Thats if you give it time to adjust and is why many people lose weight but it keeps on coming back they dont give it time. So my best advise is to be patient ... good things come to those who weight... :) Hmmm sorry this got posted twice ....
  • chrissvdh02
    Options
    this was just what I needed to hear
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I hit a big time stall for over two months. I tried everything and I mean everything and the only thing that's working for me is spiking once a week. That scale is moving once again.

Hang in there. Try different things and one of them will work for your body.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have been loosing weight since last week of April, I haven't had a plateau (more than three weeks of no loss) since I started. I think the key is pay attention to what your body is telling you. I have tweaked my exercise, off and on, and, most recently changed my calorie level. Just after I crossed the Overweight/Obese line I found myself needing to eat more on a regular basis. (I was showing signs of fatigue, hunger and digestive tract issues) I agree with the previous posters, you can't go by your daily weigh in- it will drive you crazy. ( I usually only save loses, because it is more encouraging to me)