Trusting Dr. Oz?

Options
Hi all, so, I've recently read an article from Dr. Oz http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/5-fat-busters-5-body-types?page=4#copy that I stumbled upon from Pinterest. For me, at least, it seems like I can take the supplements of CLA and L-Carnitine. But I'm really nervous about it. They both have their benefits, but I'm reserved about taking any supplements at all. Is there anyone who has taken these who could give me more information? I am thinking on buying the supplements from Fruitful Yields, but I just want to be sure first. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    You will find, Dr. Oz is not a favorite around here.

I myself have found many contradictions in his shows. I'm not the fan I once was.

Good luck!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I used to be a fan of Dr. Oz however now it seems as though he's in it for the money. He is ALWAYS pushing a new pill which I don't like. Our problems can't always be solved with a pill. The other day he had an episode in which he spoke about the "new magic weight loss pill" ... That statement said by a "Doctor" usually makes me turn away and run.

When he was focusing more on diet, exercise and natural solutions he was pretty good but now he's just got a new pill on his show everyday and advertises far too much.
  • ellalouise21
    Options
    Yeah! Hence my apprehension. But thank you!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    It's a TV show with good intentions. The problem is, his research staff are not as good as a dozen people here are, when it comes to nutrition, unfortunately that leaves a lot of people who could easily fall for most of the misinformation that seems to be fairly constant on the show.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    His job is to get ratings and sell ad time, not to make you healthier. I also have found that a lot of his advice is contradictory...not only to others but he also contradicts himself. I am not a fan, however you will see some people on this board following his advice blindly. THOSE are the people who scare me. Just because he is a doctor does not mean you should inherently trust his advice.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    What about that doctor on Fox? Is he any good? He seems to be.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Hence my apprehension. But thank you!
    I am not a big fan either but to answer your question I have not taken either but am very skeptical of supplements as well. All I can suggest is buying the smallest cheapest one you can find and see how it works for you. Good luck.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Dr. Rosenfeld.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In the end, all TV people sell what is best for their pockets. I wouldn't trust any person on TV for weight loss advice unless it's based on a study from a reputable source.

BTW, those supplements are commonly found in whey protein powders like EAS.
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    I watch the show for entertainment. That's it.

With regards to CLA and L-Carnitine. I've taken both. CLA is pretty good, def helps focus burns in the abdomen but it made my face break out like CRAZY. Those deep angry red inset blemishes :grumble: I stopped taking it after 4 weeks and face immediately cleared up.

I still take L-Carnitine. Not every day but a maybe three times a week. Mostly before a tougher than usual work out or just to help me get through a regular work out when Im down on energy.

Bottom line, as stated earlier. Not magic solutions. Just little boosts and aids....hard work still required :-)
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is an asshat, but that wasn't your question, you asked about L-Carnitine and CLA, both are considered fairly safe and are amino acids so it's not like taking something exotic like HCG. Lots of athletes take them but there isn't much to support the effectiveness. Go out to Webmd and look them up for possible side effects, then if you want to take them go for it and see if it works for you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have never seen this Dr. Oz that so many either love or hate, but I'm not a fan of supplements in general. I would suggest you check with a doctor who is familiar with your medical history before adding a supplement.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    I would recommend talking with your personal physician before taking any supplements. Some are safe, some are not. Here is a reliable source on the two you asked about:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/143307-the-best-fat-burner-supplements/

At the very least, ask your pharmacist for their recommendations. Good luck!
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Dr. Rosenfeld.

The one thing I like about Dr. Rosebfeld is that he gives generally good information, but he will say, see your doctor. He recognizes fads and while he might tell you a drug or supplement looks promising, he will also let you know that these items are still being studied, or studies are so far inconclusive. There are studies that are flawed, or they are paid for by the manufacturer which may mean the results are skewed in favor of the product.

Dr. Rosebfeld does not appear to be out to hussle some product. He tries to give some general advice and cut through the hype.
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I used to be a fan of Dr. Oz however now it seems as though he's in it for the money. He's a quack televison Doc with a horrible research team'. Just my opinion.:wink:
  • flyinghubby
    Options
    I told my internist about the show Dr Oz had on the CLA (some people feel starnge after taking it) and the Raspberry Ketones, Dr. Boone said he is not a fan of alot of supplements, hard work is the only way to get rid of fat cells. Supplements are not regulated by the FDA for pure ingredients. Now I am rethinking ordering the Raspberry Ketones, if you do please let me know how it works for you.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You have to take anything you see on TV with a grain of salt. Even the biggest loser! They have to push certain items that their sponsors want them to push. I'm a fan of FitTV, but they are still pushing stuff on there.
    With Dr. Oz, there is a lot of good advice. However, he's gotten to be very commercial. Always double check his references. If he doesn't give any, then don't trust it.
    Anymore, I use WebMD a lot to verify things I've heard on TV by TV doctors. THEY always say it's only advice and only your doctor can tell you for sure. But they also use clinical research journals and distill it down for people who don't understand the jargon.
  • ellalouise21
    Options
    Thanks everybody! xxx
  • MarilynGrube
    MarilynGrube Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump.... I started taking CLA this week...no side affects so far. Wondering what some people may think or know about CLA.
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    I love Dr.oz i watch him almost everyday but i don't do anything that doesn't feel right even if hes says its good I dont believe in pills unless its some type of vitamin But he does give a lot of good advice like drinking ginger tea for head aches