Anybody not eat wheat?

Options
I'm curious about a diet with no wheat. Can anybody educate me on the topic? It seems like there's such limitations! How do you cope?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    People that can't have any wheat are those with cealic disease.

There is a bit of controversy over whether there are some people that don't have cealic disease, but still manifest some adverse reactions to wheat (I tend to believe that these people do exist).

Some people will tell you that wheat is basically poison (which I think is silly).

Personally, I've never experienced any problems with wheat, and I love pancakes.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any grains at all (including wheat, rice, corn, quinoa, couscous, etc.) and it sounds hard but you adapt to it fairly quickly. I don't miss bread or anything at all, and for me it is easier to eat healthier without grains. I am pre-diabetic so I have to watch carbs. Lately I've been OD'ing on the dark chocolate though, lol.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey last May I gave up all whites. Started eating wheat bread, pasta etc. I was in the Er twice within a week in December. Diverticulitis and IBS. Was told to limit the wheat and fiber in my diets. I have since given up whole grains because the pain it and raw fruits/veggies causes isn't worth saving a few calories.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I don't eat wheat because I can't.

At first, I felt limited in my food choices, but now--after a few months--I no longer feel that way. I can cook some great stuff, and it's easy to find wraps, bread, etc at the health food store that don't contain wheat. They often contain things like rice or ivory teff. I even think ivory teff wraps taste better than whole wheat ones.

As for pancakes, you can make buckwheat pancakes and I think they're even better than "traditional" pancakes. There are quite a lot of grains you can still eat on a gluten free diet.

The only problem I currently have is eating out at restaurants. Despite the fact that they are selling food, most cooks/chefs/servers don't know anything about gluten and what actually contains gluten. I've been served salads with bread crumbs and had servers caution me about dishes with lentils in them (because they thought lentils contained gluten, pssh). Most people are just very dumb and ignorant about what is safe for people with celiac's disease. It's a shame because if you sell food for a living, you should know food!

I'm fine with not eating out though. If I may gloat, I'm a fantastic cook and I can cook things that taste better to my husband and I than most restaurants can serve :)

Are you gluten intolerant? Is that why you're asking about this topic?

Many eastern medical practitioners recommend excluding gluten from the diet if you have any chronic or autoimmune condition such as arthritis or endometriosis. It's also recommended for women who have repeat miscarriages to avoid gluten and other possible allergens, just in case there is an immune response/allergic reaction in either the mother or the young baby.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is one of those non celiac but gluten intolerant. He's never been tested, but he will tell you with 100% assuredness that wheat is TERRIBLE for his body. It manifests in the ...southern hemisphere....if that makes sense.

Anyway, I cook a lot for the both of us and utilize rise an quinoa, as well as some pastas that are gluten-free. I suggest homeland gluten free which is corn-based. I stick to veggies, grilled chicken and other meats, and rice as I said. For baking, (especially cupcakes,) coconut flour is AWESOME and usually can be substituted by using a tad less flour than asked for and adding an egg.

Gluten-free is hard but doable. Good luck to you!
  • Behipped
    Options
    I eat about 95% wheat free because my skin has reactions to it (urticaria, eczema, angioedema, atopic dermatitis). When I eat wheat, I have very painful atopic dermatitis on my hands and around my fingernails, so persistant and severe that it causes the cuticles to stop growing and for the nail to warp and become very bumpy. It's a very real sensitivity or intolerance for some people. Even if you're not Celiac, there are many more ways your body can react to it. Wheat contains hundreds of proteins, any of which someone could be sensitive to or have an allergy.

I ate completely wheat free from ages 4-15, and was able to introduce small bits back into my diet later on because my symptoms were less severe.

Even if I didn't have the skin issues, I would probably largely remain wheat free because I feel so much better digestively (my allergy has nothing to do with intestinal problems like celiac does).

If you're interested in adapting to this type of diet, I would recommend the book Wheat Belly. It's really fascinating and goes into how wheat affects your body and how much it has changed agriculturally in the past 100 years or so. I do think the author is a bit biased (I don't think wheat is quite as harmful as he's saying) but it's very interesting.

Also, in terms of weight loss, I noticed when I cut wheat again, I easily was losing 2 pounds a week with no other changes. I do miss some things, but there are a lot of replacements and it's not so difficult most of the time. I don't really have cravings for much.
  • hootinowl
    Options
    Try Udi's bread- I love it! And try Kale Chips, a great sub for chips. Just toss Kale with sea salt and olive oil and bake until crispy! :) I also love quinoa, try polenta too!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who don't eat wheat. Most don't eat grains of any sort. Some people have celiac's, which is a gluten intolerance. One friend with it eats lots of the gluten free goodies. You just have to look for that on products. And be VERY careful. Some foods have gluten without you knowing it - like oatmeal. Who knew oatmeal ISN'T gluten free!

Many friends either profess allergies to grains, or have given them up in an effort to live a more healthy lifestyle. They've also sworn off all refined sweeteners, including honey, brown sugar, agave nectar, aspartame, you get the gist. This in my opinion is a huge undertaking. They all swear by the health benefits, though. What I hear most from my grains/sweetener free friends is, "This has forced me to become friends with my kitchen again!" So that's a big plus. This can really complicate things when they go out to eat, as you can imagine.

But it can be done. Like all things you "give up", it's an issue of will power for the first month or two, as your body detoxes. Eventually, as cravings and old habits drift into the ether of the past, you get used to your new routines and habits.

If this is your path, good luck and I wish you well.
  • kbw414
    Options
    Try Udi's bread- I love it!

Yes, this is my favorite processed gluten free bread. It's not so dense, cakey, and yeasty as most GF breads. It's expensive and the slices are very small, but it is at least the consistency of "real" bread.
  • kbw414
    Options
    And be VERY careful. Some foods have gluten without you knowing it - like oatmeal. Who knew oatmeal ISN'T gluten free!

Bob's Red Mill Old-Fashioned Gluten Free Rolled Oats ARE gluten free. I recommend them! The gluten in oats is there because they are contaminated while being processed. Clean oats in themselves don't contain the gluten protein.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I was looking at the books "Healthier Without Wheat" and "Wheat Belly". That is what got me interested in the subject. I was thinking about at least decreasing the amount of wheat I eat, but it seems so far fetched for me as I am so used to eating cereal, bread, and english muffins regularly. PB&J is my go to for packing a lunch at work because I have to eat while I work I don't get breaks, so finding foods that require no prep is difficult enough as it is for that. And I love cereal. I can't imagine giving that up, but anyway I was curious about the topic and was going to try cutting some wheat out of my diet and see if I notice any difference.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    PLEASE. I need help! I went to the grocery today and was at a total loss at what to possibly eat without wheat
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I started eating wheat free after reading Wheat Belly because I believe it would benefit my husband. He has been suffering for years with irritable bowel and has frequent bouts of diarrhea. A lot of times it comes after eating a meal. Reading the book got me wondering if that's what his problem is. I am off wheat not only for support but I do low carb and I do believe it's healthier to avoid wheat(again thanks to Wheat Belly). We are not having any issues with non-wheat items. I make rice, quinoa, potatoes. I also make mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes. He eats oatmeal, grits, eggs, meats, veggies. We don't have celiac so we don't have to be uber careful what we eat. We can eat gluten, just not wheat. But again, I am pretty much off all grains for my low carb lifestyle. There are a lot of wheat free/gluten free grains out there. You can even get gf pastas that are made from rice or even quinoa. I just ordered almond flour as a wheat alternative because not only is is wheat free it's high protein and low carb. It can be used for baking and cooking. It can be overwhelming at first but once you know what to buy it becomes second nature. There are tons of websites now too to give you ideas. Just google wheat free diet. Good luck!