Do you count your calories by week or by day?

Options
The other day I was way under calories, but not that hungry. Other days I am way over. Do you count your calories by the week? Is it okay to save calories up from the week to spend on the weekend?

I want to lose in a healthy way, but new to all this health stuff. Suggestions? Comments? Thoughts?

:)

Replies

• samanthakre
    Options
    I have started counting mine daily since my trainer told me to...but I'm not sure what is better.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    Daily.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    When I've been most successful (and that's not right now!) I have counted daily but tracked and adjusted on a sliding 3-5 days. Both calories and nutrients can flux and as long as you're getting a good average a few overs and unders don't really matter.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    In general I do try to stick to my daily goal, but I also have a "cheat" meal on Friday nights, so on that day I know I'm going to go way over. I feel like sticking to a weekly goal might not be the best idea, especially for people that may have struggled with disordered eating in the past. For me personally, I would be afraid that would lead to a binge-starve cycle (ok, so I had 1000 calories over my goal today, I'll just only eat 200 calories tomorrow and I've still met my goal, etc.) I don't "save" calories for my cheat meal from other days, so I know my weekly goal is going to be a tad off given my cheat meal- but I'm very close to the halfway point of what I need to lose so I'd say it's been working for me!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    daily. If I counted weekly they would be insane because of my spike day.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    weekly
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Daily.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Weekly but just keep it stable day to day.
    It will stifle progress to have wild calorie swings.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    daily for limit, weekly is important with deficit though.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Daily. I've tried weekly in the past and it didn't work for me. I just try to do some exercise if I know I'm going to be having a treat on that day and ill be over. Tomorrow is thai green curry, so going to get a good walk in x
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Weekly, I use daily as a guide but my goal is weekly.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    day.

Body clock is 24 hours according to my doctor.
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    daily
  • BevsCalerieCount
    BevsCalerieCount Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a weekly goal but I track my calories daily to ensure I don't go over my weekly goal. I slack up a little on the weekends but my goal is always to stay at or slightly under my daily goal.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    I count daily, but like others have said, I do have one meal/week that I splurge on. Lately, I have not been doing well at all on my counting, so don't look at my diary for the past few weeks, but I'm back on track, and I'm going to eat out tonight and then exercise in the morning and stick to the plan this weekend.

I've heard that if you eat at a deficit 80% of the time, then you can still lose. I have not tried this, but if you say eat right 80% and 20% whatever you want then that's like three meals a week of whatever you want, but I don't mean eat a whole pizza, but maybe eat a couple of pieces of your favorite pizza, or maybe a good steak and a glass of wine.

It's not about being so restrictive. It's about changing your lifestyle, habits, mindset...... etc.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure about this anymore... i used to say daily but now i've noticed a pattern. i will have really hungry days some days and other days not so much. so maybe weekly is better?
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Weekly. My daily calories throughout the week range from 1700-2100
  • dolfn1972
    dolfn1972 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Daily. I dont worry if I go over...usually not by much....Ive had my goal set to 2 lbs a week...which is a lowwww calorie intact...so if I only lose 1lb a week and enjoy my food...Im still losing and seeing progress. If I lose the whole 2 lbs that week...Im even happier. I want to be healhy and happy...not at my goal and starving and miserable just to say i did it
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I count daily, then take an average over the week. This average is what I try to keep at my goal.
  • margerator
    Options
    I try to stick with daily, but if I go over or under I will adjust maybe the next day. I prefer a fresh start to each day!