Poached Poultry and Fish - calories?

Options
I was wondering how should I go about calculating total calories after poaching a chicken breast in broth + spices? I haven't worried too much about counting these calories but, I am a little curious?

Replies

• skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    just count raw fish, and the broth and sprices you cook it in seperately
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I should think, if you're using broth instead of butter, you can probably just put down the calories of the item, raw. Broth is so low in calories, I would think it wouldn't add more than a couple of calories. So, if you poach a 8 oz chicken breast, just put down a 8 oz chicken breast.

Now, if you're tracking sodium, you might want to add a 1/8 cup of the broth to the calculation just to capture the sodium intake. I don't worry about sodium, myself, so I probably wouldn't do that.
  • synthetiquecindy
    Options
    I should think, if you're using broth instead of butter, you can probably just put down the calories of the item, raw. Broth is so low in calories, I would think it wouldn't add more than a couple of calories. So, if you poach a 8 oz chicken breast, just put down a 8 oz chicken breast.

Now, if you're tracking sodium, you might want to add a 1/8 cup of the broth to the calculation just to capture the sodium intake. I don't worry about sodium, myself, so I probably wouldn't do that.

Thanks. :). I haven't been counting those calories but I am tracking my sodium intake a bit.