Question for beginer runners

Options
I am just starting to add running to my cardio. What is a good way to start this? This morning I did 5 minutes of running then 5 minutes of walking but only did it for 20 minutes total. I started out at a jogging pace of 4.5 mph. Im not sure how to start out without burning myself out. I'm new to running. Thanks for any tips!

Replies

• mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    You should really check out the C25K information that is out there. I am following the plan, because I am just starting out and it is pretty awesome and helpful!
  • ltruscott
    ltruscott Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    At the running room we started with 10 sets of 1 min run 1 min walk. and each week we bumped our running time. at the end of 10 weeks we were doing 8 run 1 min breaks for 24 mins. Most of us were covering 3.5k, the faster ones were closer to 5k. At this point you want to make it a habit of running and this encourages you.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to add running to my cardio. What is a good way to start this? This morning I did 5 minutes of running then 5 minutes of walking but only did it for 20 minutes total. I started out at a jogging pace of 4.5 mph. Im not sure how to start out without burning myself out. I'm new to running. Thanks for any tips!

You did just grand there. Many, many people cannot manage more than 60 seconds of running without having to walk a bit and then run for another 60 seconds. You have done it all in 5 minute intervals.

Gradually lengthen the time, little bit by little bit each time you run.

Make sure you have good running shoes and if you can, try to run on softer ground such as grass, dirt-track or sand as this lessens the shock impact of your legs as they hit pavement or concrete. This is if you are running outside of course, if you are on the treadmill, treadmills are usually springier than the ground and has lots of give in it, so your legs should be fine.
  • Jessicaga82
    Jessicaga82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You should really check out the C25K information that is out there. I am following the plan, because I am just starting out and it is pretty awesome and helpful!

Thank you I will check that out!
  • Jessicaga82
    Options
    At the running room we started with 10 sets of 1 min run 1 min walk. and each week we bumped our running time. at the end of 10 weeks we were doing 8 run 1 min breaks for 24 mins. Most of us were covering 3.5k, the faster ones were closer to 5k. At this point you want to make it a habit of running and this encourages you.

I may have to try that so I don't get frustrated with it and give up! It wasn't bad the first 5 minutes the second 5 minutes I almost gave up after 4.
  • Jessicaga82
    Options

You did just grand there. Many, many people cannot manage more than 60 seconds of running without having to walk a bit and then run for another 60 seconds. You have done it all in 5 minute intervals.

Make sure you have good running shoes and if you can, try to run on softer ground such as grass, dirt-track or sand as this lessens the shock impact of your legs as they hit pavement or concrete. This is if you are running outside of course, if you are on the treadmill, treadmills are usually springier than the ground and has lots of give in it, so your legs should be fine.

Thank you! I'm running on a treadmill!
  • KPinkBow
    Options
    Yes -- the Couch-to-5K program is great! I'm currently in the middle of it and it's helped me go from zero running experience at all to being able to run for 5-10 minutes stretches at a time! I love it and I'm so proud of my progress :happy: 5K in March here I come!!
  • LuaLiz
    LuaLiz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    you'll get another recommendation for the couch-to-5k program from me!! :) i did it 2 years ago and had crazy-awesome success with it!! ie. did my first 5K at the end of the 9 week program and only 4 weeks later, did my first 10K!! :) Good luck!
  • Jessicaga82
    Options
    you'll get another recommendation for the couch-to-5k program from me!! :) i did it 2 years ago and had crazy-awesome success with it!! ie. did my first 5K at the end of the 9 week program and only 4 weeks later, did my first 10K!! :) Good luck!

Oh wow I looked it up and liked what I read! I'm going to start it tomorrow! I'm excited to start adding running to my cardio! I'm really hoping it helps me shed some weight!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    All my running friends have directed me to the Couch-2-5k program. And do it as fast or as slow as you need. It takes about 6 weeks if you can do it. I'm gonna take quite a bit longer than that, as I'm just that out of shape!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Thank you! I'm running on a treadmill!

Ahh in that case, you are in a perfect position to be able to lengthen the distance or the time run bit by bit :flowerforyou:
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    "How do you start?"

Well, I just put one foot in front of the other and try not to stop. Its just as simple as that really. Running doesn't have to be pretty, just the fact that you are out there doing it is what matters. There are days that I can run like the wind blows and there are days that I bet I can walk faster than than the speed that I am running. It is what it is.

The basics that you need to know is this:

Everything starts with your feet. You need to have good RUNNING shoes, not basketball, high tops, and NEVER NEVER run with those Rocker style shoes eventhough the makes suggest that you can. Than just lean slightly forward and let the wieght of your body propel you in the right direction. Keep your arms swinging, you will find that the faster your arms swing that the faster your legs will move. They just seem to be connected that way. Keep your chin up and eyes off the road. Look forward (and towards a goal or object such as a house, stop sign, ect...). Don't forget to breath, it's very important. Running will help clear your nasal passages and you should have a better time breathing while running, It just opens you up. If you enjoy running at night, don't forget to look at the moon and stars. They just seem so peaceful to look at while you are on the open road.

I hope this helps.

Just remember this, When you run, your doing so much better than someone who is sitting on the couch watching tv. Just have fun.