Does anyone have a healthy muffin recipe?

Options
lesliemk
lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
Occassionally (like on weekends) I love a muffin with my coffee and fresh fruit. I'd much rather bake something healthy with quality ingredients. Does anyone have a great fiber-filled muffin recipe to share?

Replies

• MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    :love: I love muffins too! Would love some recommendations/ recipes also!!
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    i saw fiber one muffin mix in the store the other day! granted it's not made from scratch, but i'll bet it's fiber filled and if it's anything like the fiber one granola bars, it's delicious!! :love:
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I always make bran muffins with fiber one or all bran. You can use egg whites and substitute apple sauce for any oil, and they turn out great! (i love them right out of the oven with a little margarine)
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    My husband is a healthy muffin.... is that any help?:laugh:
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    these taste like brownies but are healthy. i have to limit my kids and warn them about the contact so they don't eat them all in one sitting and end up in the bathroom all day due to the fibre content..

3 cups ALL BRAN
    3 cups water
    1pkg low fat Betty Crocker Brownie mix
    1 tsp baking soda

mix the all bran and water and let stand 15 minutes. add brownie mix and baking soda. lightly spray pans, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. makes 24 muffins!
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    from the Cook yourself thin website (anybody else watching that show? Amazing)

Banana and Chocolate Muffins
    Serves 12
    Calories per serving: 200

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup whole-wheat flour
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 ripe banana, mashed
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 large eggs
    1 1/4 cups reduced-fat buttermilk
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-muffin tray with paper liners. Set aside.

2. In a standing mixer, combine the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, rolled oats, ground cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mashed banana, and blend on low speed for 2 minutes. Add the walnuts, brown sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and reduced-fat buttermilk, and blend for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the vanilla extract and mix until well combined.

3. Using an ice cream scoop, portion the batter evenly into the muffin tin, and top each muffin with 3 to 4 chocolate chips. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Once muffins are baked through, remove them from the oven and let cool. Serve.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    from the Cook yourself thin website (anybody else watching that show? Amazing)

Banana and Chocolate Muffins
    Serves 12
    Calories per serving: 200

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup whole-wheat flour
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 ripe banana, mashed
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 large eggs
    1 1/4 cups reduced-fat buttermilk
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-muffin tray with paper liners. Set aside.

2. In a standing mixer, combine the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, rolled oats, ground cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mashed banana, and blend on low speed for 2 minutes. Add the walnuts, brown sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and reduced-fat buttermilk, and blend for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the vanilla extract and mix until well combined.

3. Using an ice cream scoop, portion the batter evenly into the muffin tin, and top each muffin with 3 to 4 chocolate chips. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Once muffins are baked through, remove them from the oven and let cool. Serve.

These look really good! I think anytime you bake with real ingredients versus mixes you get a healthier and tastier product.
    I'm going to check out that show/website.:flowerforyou:
  • ninaellis
    ninaellis Posts: 60
    Options
    These are lovey & very quick & easy too!!
    The measurements are English, not American, so I apologise:wink:
    can aslo use to make a bread instead of muffins

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons melted 'healthy' margarine (flora, but not sure if you have that brand?)
    1 Tablesspoon semi skimmed/reduced fat milk
    2 Mashed bananas (the riper the better)
    1 medium egg
    2259/8oz self raising flower
    110g/4oz sugar
    1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

Method

preheat the oven to 200c/400F/gas mark 6

grease a 450g loaf tin -or- use 6-8 muffin cases (use eight then they
    re slightly smaller!)
    mix add all the ingredients to the bowl & mix well
    pour the mixture in to the tin/cases
    bake for 25-35 mins for a loaf or 10 - 14 mins for muffins
    Take out of the oven when golden, leave to cool & enjoy!!

I often add some extra's, like mixed chopped nuts, dried saltanas/dates/raisins

A UK Tablespoon is 15ml and a teaspoon is 5ml (hope that helps!X)
  • tinah22
    tinah22 Posts: 4
    Options
    This Morning Glory Muffin from Cooking Light (July 2007) is really good and healthy. When I make a batch, I put some in the freezer. I pop it in the microwave to warm it or put it in my gym bag for an after workout snack. I've tried different kinds of dried fruit in the recipe and it's always good!

18 servings (serving size: 1 muffin)

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    1 cup whole wheat flour (about 4 3/4 ounces)
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
    1 cup regular oats
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon wheat bran
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2)
    1 large egg
    1 cup chopped pitted dates
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup chopped dried pineapple
    3 tablespoons ground flaxseed (about 2 tablespoons whole)
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.

Place 18 muffin cups liners in muffin cups; coat liners with cooking spray.

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flours and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine yogurt, banana, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in dates, walnuts, and pineapple. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle evenly with flaxseed. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pans immediately; cool on a wire rack.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    186 (21% from fat)
    Fat:
    4.4g (sat 0.5g,mono 0.7g,poly 2.8g)
    Protein:
    4.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    35.2g
    Fiber:
    3.4g
    Cholesterol:
    12mg
    Iron:
    1.2mg
    Sodium:
    190mg
    Calcium:
    42mg
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Go here: http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/muffins/

I like the cranberry-orange.
  • WantToBeMoreActive
    Options
    Yum Yum Yum !!!! I love muffins.

What an awesome idea of freezing them...I wouldn't be able to limit myself if I didn't :blushing:
  • daisylou
    daisylou Posts: 118
    Options
    check out sparkpeople.com. I just made one today called quick oats and applesauce muffins. I added 1 ripe banana to the recipe and they were fantastic!!! 111 calories a piece. That website is pretty cool too.
  • erinmerriman
    Options
    I am accutually making muffins now.

1 can of pumpkin
    1 box of spice cake mix
    1/2 cup of water

Bake a 350 for 15-20 minutes

i like to put a little fat free whip cream on top for a sweet tooth curber

Enjoy!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    check out sparkpeople.com. I just made one today called quick oats and applesauce muffins. I added 1 ripe banana to the recipe and they were fantastic!!! 111 calories a piece. That website is pretty cool too.

OMG I was just going to add that recipe in. I made them too and they were sooo good!
  • mim100
    mim100 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe..I'm going to try it today, and will use applesauce instead of oil :smile:
  • DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i saw fiber one muffin mix in the store the other day! granted it's not made from scratch, but i'll bet it's fiber filled and if it's anything like the fiber one granola bars, it's delicious!! :love:

Here is a recipe that uses the Fiber One muffin mix.

Pumpkin Apple Cinnamon Muffins
    1 box of Fiber One Apple Cinnamon muffin mix
    1 cup water
    1 cup canned pumpkin
    ½ cup eggbeaters
    Makes 18 muffins, bake at 400 or so for about 15 minutes. 1 WW point per muffin.

I've made this before and they are awesome.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I am constantly on this website called tastespotting.com and they have a search bar where you can enter in what you want (lowfat or light muffins). The website is a picture "blog" of tons of recipes, and they all look so tasty. I saw a lowfat blueberry muffin recipe on there the other day. Hope this helps!
  • tlyoung
    tlyoung Posts: 16
    Options
    WOW, thanks for mentioning the "cook yourself thin" website! I'm going to go buy the book tomorrow.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    HawkeyeGuy Posts: 183
    Options
    Something I remember hearing a long time ago stuck with me, "Muffin's are just an excuse to eat cake in the morning." Sad, but true. Stick to the fruit, oatmeal, egg beater omelettes, etc.

SSG