Period Help?

Options
Soooo...doing this program I have noticed my periods are even more irregular than ever (they've always been all over the place-- I once skipped it for 9 months! AND no I wasn't prego! lol)

Is weight loss (even modest losses) & exercise increases enough to mess with the cycle? Any thoughts?????????????

I actually had some PMS symptoms without getting my period yet for htis month (7 days late).

I'm not on BC (use condoms only) & I am not pregnant.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Oooo, I am so like that, and I'm ON BC!

When you make a major change in your life, like starting intense exercise or losing weight, your body will fight back in any way it can. Your hormones get a little screwy because your body responds differently heavy versus thin. I skip when I'm incredibly stressed out too.

I get PMS with no cycle to end it sometimes, and end up being a super bi*** all month long! I hate that. Doesn't happen as often now that I've switched to a BC with no estrogen.

So, some of us just have screwy systems! You're not alone!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough: I cannot stress that enough. I had the same thing happen to me, and it turned out to be due to malnutrition. When your body is stressed (over worked or under fed), it releases the hormone cortisol as a response to that stress. It directly interferes with your body;s estrogen levels, causing your period to stop.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough: I cannot stress that enough. I had the same thing happen to me, and it turned out to be due to malnutrition. When your body is stressed (over worked or under fed), it releases the hormone cortisol as a response to that stress. It directly interferes with your body;s estrogen levels, causing your period to stop.

This is good advice too! However I am fine nutritionally and still screwy!
  • subigirl
    subigirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Any change to diet, exercise routine, weight loss, weight gain, etc. can cause your cycles to go all wonky! If you have always been a bit all over the place, I would get your hormone levels checked. I used to be anywhere from 26 to 32 days between cycles. Very frustrating, let me tell you. Found out I was estrogen dominant, and since have started using a progesterone cream, and my cycles are now 28 days like clockwork! Of course, check with your gyno first before doing anything hormone related, and see what he/she has to say...but I would think your main cause of your issues is an imbalance of some sort.
  • CaitlinMyers428
    CaitlinMyers428 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I started this in August and my period has been all messed up since October. I missed it completely that month. I've bee late, had 2 periods in one month. I'm not pregnant and I haven't had a period since December.