Let Them Eat Cake! ...in the morning

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I may *MAY* be likely to believe that having a small treat in the morning can satisfy a craving that may cause you to binge later, if you can't restrict yourself to a portion that fits in your caloric needs ...

but there is no science that will tell you that eating cake in the morning is the sole factor in weight loss.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I keep reading that you should eat a large breakfast and then eat less calories at every other meal.

Anyone do this?

The old saying goes: "Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Queen, and dinner like a pauper." It really does make sense, but I can't say I follow those rules. I used to be more like that before I got married, but my husband is "Mr. Meat and Potatos for Dinner". Did I mention I didn't have weight problems BEFORE we got married? :ohwell:
    That saying has no merit of factual basis. As I noted above....stick to your goals....and meal timing doesn't matter, as long as you eat in such a way that you are sated(high protein helps this). You can eat right before bed....I promise you'll still lose weight as long as you're at your calorie goal.

OMG.... You are NOT supposed to eat right before bed, but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with weight-loss. It's about acid reflux. Ask any doctor, really.

Secondly, not ALL calories are created equal. If you want to optimize your health and weight loss, you need to eat nutritious foods, not cake and doughnuts all day. I have nothing against eating treats... I do it all the time. But, everything in moderation.
    OMG...if you have no issues with digestion doing this...it's not a big deal. If it makes you uncomfortable...then give yourself time. Doing it won't magically make acid reflux appear...nutrition vs. weight loss are two different things....you CAN eat what you want to lose weight....getting proper nutrition is another subject.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I keep reading that you should eat a large breakfast and then eat less calories at every other meal.

Anyone do this?

The old saying goes: "Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Queen, and dinner like a pauper." It really does make sense, but I can't say I follow those rules. I used to be more like that before I got married, but my husband is "Mr. Meat and Potatos for Dinner". Did I mention I didn't have weight problems BEFORE we got married? :ohwell:
    That saying has no merit of factual basis. As I noted above....stick to your goals....and meal timing doesn't matter, as long as you eat in such a way that you are sated(high protein helps this). You can eat right before bed....I promise you'll still lose weight as long as you're at your calorie goal.

OMG.... You are NOT supposed to eat right before bed, but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with weight-loss. It's about acid reflux. Ask any doctor, really.

Secondly, not ALL calories are created equal. If you want to optimize your health and weight loss, you need to eat nutritious foods, not cake and doughnuts all day. I have nothing against eating treats... I do it all the time. But, everything in moderation.
    i must agree
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    This is directly from an old Bill Cosby routine - "Dad is great.... he gives us chocolate cake!"

I was so totally thinking about this!

Me too! ! I would love to eat cake for breakfast! !
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

Anyone do this?

Not everyone suffers from acid reflux. I love getting a few calories befoe bed. I sleep tons better!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Too many variables. I think the conclusion is... non-conclusive.

"Half the subjects had a 300-calorie, low-carb breakfast, while the other half got 600 calories in the morning, including a small piece of chocolate cake. "

What if the other half had a 600 calorie including non-cake carbs?
    What if the 300 calorie group a a non-low-carb breakfast?
    What were they eating the rest of the day?
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    The cake is a lie!
    Lol - grabbing my portal gun!
  • i used to eat cheesecake everymorning :D it worked lol, but im switching to something else now, chocolate mousse :D
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

Anyone do this?

actually it has been scientifically proven that your metabolism naturally slows down when your body goes into a "rest" phase such as sleeping which means your less likely to burn the calories eaten before bed as quickly as you would have during the day.
  • christinal83
    christinal83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Anyone do this?

Not everyone suffers from acid reflux. I love getting a few calories befoe bed. I sleep tons better!

I have acid reflux & for ME certain foods bother me before I go to bed. I do eat sometimes right before bed. So not everyone who has acid reflux is affected by eating then going straight to sleep.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider, people, since there seems to be a lot of cliche and catch-phrase philosophising going on here...

If you eat cake for breakfast, you'll have a huge insulin spike - then crash - which will set you up for over eating the rest of the day.

And there is a broscience based argument against your brocience suggestion!

:drinker:

(my guess is that it will still fall on deaf ears)
  • Another thing to consider, people, since there seems to be a lot of cliche and catch-phrase philosophising going on here...

If you eat cake for breakfast, you'll have a huge insulin spike - then crash - which will set you up for over eating the rest of the day.

And there is a broscience based argument against your brocience suggestion!

:drinker:

(my guess is that it will still fall on deaf ears)

it really depends on how exactly it was consumed, if it was consumed alone then yes, but insulin is naturally a fluctuating hormone anyways. Fat burning can't occur if there is insulin over powering the fat cell receptors(insulin is the preferred hormone over catcholamines). Sooo yea in a sense you will have an insulin spike depending on how it was consumed, alone, with other fibrous carbs, or with carbs/protein?

Each of those situations can effect insulin differently, but insulin will go down eventually, if it was always elevated at a constant, you would burn fat ineffectively. Cheesecake for breakfast as a part of a post workout meal worked just fine for me, sooo again depends on the context of consumption rather than consumption itself.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My mom always eats desert before dinner instead of after.
    She says it is incase she dies halfway through supper.
    lol

Apparently we are related. My mom says the same thing.
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    i love how everyone on here is a doctor :) im going to start a post telling people what to do and just google information and hope it backs up my theories.

Not everything read it true, the weightloss industry is a crazy one with fads and trends... Find what works for you

Personally i am NOT eating cake for breakfast that is rediculous and not healthy. My goal is to get healthy end of story
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

Anyone do this?

actually it has been scientifically proven that your metabolism naturally slows down when your body goes into a "rest" phase such as sleeping which means your less likely to burn the calories eaten before bed as quickly as you would have during the day.

Yes, your metabolism slows down, but that doesn't mean it doesn't burn the same amount of calories overall. It doesn't matter if you have 4+2 or 2+4, they both equal 6
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    The cake is a lie!
    Lol - grabbing my portal gun!

Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i love how everyone on here is a doctor :)

I'm not actually a doctor. But I am wearing a tie. So that has to count for something.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    i love how everyone on here is a doctor :)

I'm not actually a doctor. But I am wearing a tie. So that has to count for something.
    128899064665800163.jpg
  • Marsha427
    Options
    ummm...Red Velvet Cake contains chocolate in it...lol
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    So many "breakfast" foods are so dessert-like anyway. Breakfast is typically a time for things like waffles, pancakes, french toast, plenty of fruit, yogurt, peanut butter, oatmeal is desserty depending on how you fix it, toast with jam??? I am sure there are more. I think any of these things would be equally good for dessert.

No I don't believe you will lose more weight if you eat a dessert with your breakfast. I eat dessert for breakfast anyway.