Morning vs. Evening Weight

Options
When is the best time to weigh yourself? Evening weights for me are always a few pounds more. Why?!

Also, how often to you weigh in? I have heard you should only weigh in once a week, but I can't help but getting on that scale everyday!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Time of day, time of month...... both effect weight on the scale.

I typically weigh first thing in the morning (after I use the facilities). That way I'm wearing "approximately" the same amount of clothing. Just be CONSISTANT. Pick evening OR morning. The scale is just 1 number. Measurements are great.

How often is up to you. Some people get discouraged by weighing everyday. I need to weigh everyday .... so I establish a habit.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. It helps me figure out if I have eaten something I shouldn't have the day before. I'm consistently heavier in the evening, so I choose mornings.
    You've just had a 6-8 hour fast when you get up. Frequently, if you don't overeat at night, you'll lose some weight during that time. I drink lots of water, so that appears in the evening, as does my dinner!
  • nukehiker
    Options
    it is said that first thing in the morning, after using the rest room etc ... that way what ever you last ate should e broken down and disolved by the time you get up in the am. alot of folks weigh in wearing nothing but their birth suit hope this helps.
  • iluminadaonix
    iluminadaonix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Agree, first thing in the morning after using bathroom on an empty stomach
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I weigh approx 2 lbs less in the morning than the previous evening, depending on how much water I drank the previous evening. The reason you should weigh yourself in the morning is because it's more consistent from day to day. Wake up, do your business, get on the scale. During the day, your weight will fluctuate based on what you have recently done. Drink 16 oz of water and you will gain a pound (in the short term). Take care of your business, you lose a pound. So, first thing in the morning is the same every day. As to how often you should weight yourself, I think it depends on your mindset. I'm a data analyst and statistician by nature and education, so any chance to weigh myself is more data and that's good, and I can also deal with the daily fluctuations and do get upset by the daily fluctuations. If you are going to get upset by getting on the scale in the morning and seeing a higher weight on one particular day, then go to weekly and focus on the trend.
  • MsDvine
    MsDvine Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Agree, first thing in the morning after using bathroom on an empty stomach

I pose this same question and most of the response I got was in the morning. I agree with this comment. First thing in the morning, after the bathroom, no clothes on. I've noticed that later in the day I weigh more after I've been eating, drinking water, haven't been to the bathroom, etc... My weigh ins are 1nce a week on tuesday morning (my off day) before I work out.