BMR PLEASE HELP!!

Options
should this be the amount of calories I should consume per day , and should this be the number before or after my workout?? I am so confused right now, I have been working my butt off for almost 6 weeks now and the first month I lost 8lbs before joining and now no weight loss for 2 weeks!:ohwell:

Replies

• sdtul
    sdtul Posts: 24
    Options
    I just use this site for counting my calories ..... Not for how many to eat, which I find are way too low, and their calories they give for exercise, too high! Go check out fat2fitradio.com and use their BMR calculator. AWESOME TOOL. It will tell you how many calories you need according to how much you do per day etc .....
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    should this be the amount of calories I should consume per day , and should this be the number before or after my workout?? I am so confused right now, I have been working my butt off for almost 6 weeks now and the first month I lost 8lbs before joining and now no weight loss for 2 weeks!:ohwell:
    Why are you even worried about BMR?
    Just eat the number of calories in green on your MFP home page. No need to be confused.
    Anyway, BMR is easy to understand.
    MFP sets your goals based on your stated deficit which is a function of how many pounds per week you seek to lose.
    And they set it BELOW your maintenance level which is above your BMR depending on your activity level.

Another way to check this is the Harris Benedict Formula which incorporates your exercise into their numbers UNLIKE MFP.

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:
    If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    Here is a BMR calculator if you just want to make sure all is as it should be.

BMR Calculator
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    BMR or basal metabolic rate is how many calories you would burn without exercise, just hanging out. So you need to if possible at least eat close to that, mine is 1479. now, it was closer to 1700 but of couse as you lose you should redo the calculation every 10 or 20 pounds. So, if your BMR is 1479 and you are eating 1200 then look out the plateau tends to hit. When I first started here I listened to all the skinny children and tried to stick to 1200 net, lol, no weight loss, bumped it to just over my BMR net and suprise the weight started dropping, almost quicker than I wanted, lol.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I just use this site for counting my calories ..... Not for how many to eat, which I find are way too low, and their calories they give for exercise, too high! Go check out fat2fitradio.com and use their BMR calculator. AWESOME TOOL. It will tell you how many calories you need according to how much you do per day etc .....

I just took a look at this site and played around with the different calculators and I thought it was super informative! Thanks for sharing this!!!
  • donnamfreitagross
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help, I think I need to up my calories a little, I am starving all the time, and like I said I have plateaued for almost 2 weeks, so I will up my calories a little and see what happens!
  • sdtul
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help, I think I need to up my calories a little, I am starving all the time, and like I said I have plateaued for almost 2 weeks, so I will up my calories a little and see what happens!

This is why it's best to always eat slightly above your BMR. Your BMR is usually calculated for what your body needs to sustain itself if you were in-active all day.

And plus when you are eating so little calories and depriving yourself to stay at the low level, you're much more likely to not stick with the plan. Weight loss is a lifestyle change, not a 3 month crash diet :D Good luck with your goals!
  • sdtul
    Options

I just took a look at this site and played around with the different calculators and I thought it was super informative! Thanks for sharing this!!!

:D
  • highgear
    Options
    A good way to think of BMR is the number of calories you burn while sleeping. Your activity level (selectable in your profile) accounts for the extra calories you burn doing your daily activities. Then you get to plug in your extra-cise (exercise) calories. If you eat in excess of all three of these you will gain weight, if you eat less than the sum of these categories you will lose weight.

There it is boiled down to as simple of an explanation as I can make it.