can't stop binging in the evenings.

Options
Im a 20 year old student, i am not over wieght but im piling it on at an alarming rate. I can't seem to stop myself! I have tried not buying junk, but living with other people insures there is always an opportunity to fill my face. I have no problems being strict throughout the day but binge badly after an evening meal. Is there anything I could munch on without worrying about going to bed full of rubbish? Or any tips for beeting a sweet tooth?
Thanks.

Replies

• mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty active at my job which starts pretty early in the morning. I've been noticing on the days when I eat fairly light for breakfast and lunch, then I'm pigging out in the evenings right before bed. I've been making an effort to eat heartier breakfasts it's working out better for me. Maybe try to eat breakfast like a King, Lunch like a prince, and Dinner like a pauper. It's all about tweaking to find what works for you! :)
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think that recognizing it when you are doing it is your first step. I'm guessing it's after dinner so you really shouldn't be hungry. I know everyone says this but grab a big cup of water instead! It really does help.
  • msjenjenp
    Options
    Make sure to not skip meals and eat a reasonable healthy dinner that fills you up so you are no longer hungry. Then keep a big drink of something with no calories next to you to sip on throughout the evening. I like water with a little lemon juice and one Truvia, or flavored seltzer water or diet ginger ale. It takes a while to drink it and it fills you up.

Snack on the obvious healthy choices - raw veggies and maybe ONE piece of low fat cheese like Laughing Cow or Babybel.

After dinner, tell yourself that eating is over for the day and brush your teeth as a signal that you won't eat anything else for the night. I've heard this works for some people. You have to make it your intention not to snack.

Lots of time, snacking is just a habit or something we do because we're a little bored. Find something that really captivates your attention -- a hobby, working out or maybe a good book. Re-train yourself to not just give in to every urge to binge.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • neville1991
    Options
    Thanks for your help girls :) I wasnt expecting such good advice!
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Sometimes all it takes is simply just thinking about why you're feeling you want to overeat. Did dinner not fill you up? Have you eaten all your other meals throughout the day? Have you deprived yourself from the food you want to overeat on? Has something happened to make you feel like this?

I think maybe putting a bedtime snack in place might benefit you. Try a cereal bar/small pot of yoghurt.
    Hopefully I made some sense here..I'm really sleepy lol.

Tasha
    xxx
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem and I'm trying to tackle it with two approaches:

1. Avoid evening boredom. If I'm busy, I don't even think about food. If I veg watching telly, then I reach for the snacks.

2. Split my evening meal into two - eat half when I cook it, save the other half for two hours later when I'm certain to think I need a 'snack'. Good way to keep your calories in check without feeling deprived.
  • robb7
    robb7 Posts: 22
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth. Ha, I know sounds wacky. I use this method during Halloween. Each time I feel the urge I brush em.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Night time eating is a huge problem for me - and I am waaaay older than you dear! A couple tricks that help me:
    -Brush your teeth after dinner, that fresh clean toothpaste taste doesn't mix well with many snacks.
    -Chew gum. Currently I am loving Trident Layers, so many different flavors. I have gum packs EVERYWHERE. So helpful if I want something sweet after a meal.
    -Popcorn (the light microwave ones) can satisfy the need to munch and crunch something salty without undoing too mauch good eating, it has some fiber, and you can share it if ya want!
    -If I have to have something sweet, chocolate chips can save me - a tablespoon or so, eat them one at a time, rich chocolate flavor and you can get milk or dark chocolate depending on what you like. (Just don't eat them out of the bag lol!!)
    Best of luck to you in your studies as well as your fitness goals.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    popcorn is the best. you can have an entire bag of 98% ff for150 cals if you absolutely need it
  • KarenGee1978
    Options
    After dinner i try to drink 2 16 oz glasses of 4c totally light green tea. It fills me up for the rest of the evening. But if it is like 900 or 1000 and I feel hungry I just go to bed. Being a college student I am sure friends are in and out of the dorm room so its hard. If this happens and people are in your room at a later time and you cant go to sleep just try drinking another glass of water while they are there. Hope that helps. :wink:
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said to eat a bit more throughout the day. I try to eat a big lunch (usually 400-500 calories) and then a little snack around 4. This helps me to keep my dinner small. And if I feel the need to snack after dinner I usually make myself a cup of tea with honey and lemon.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Loving all this advice & great ideas!! I have the same issue!
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I like the eat my dinner in parts instead of all at once to stop this. I'll usually have a salad, then a few minutes in between, then my main course, which is usually still light, light chicken and veggies or spaghetti squash. Once I've finished that I do all my cleanup, and if I'm still hungry I'll have my apple and peanut butter, but if I'm full I'll wait a while until I'm ready to eat again. Spacing the different parts out really helps me.
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from binge eating disorder and used to be bulimic. It's hard. It's REALLY. REALLY. HARD. However, you need to tell yourself that you are strong enough to stick to your diet. Tell yourself that you can and WILL do it. I struggled for years with the same problem as you. I'd eat well all day and then, once everyone was asleep or if it was just late at night in general, I'd stuff my face. Sometimes I wasn't even hungry when I did it... okay... MOST of the time I wasn't even hungry when I did it.

There is a lot of great advice in here and I suggest using a lot of what's been said. For me what works is having 6 low calorie, high protein meals throughout the day. (ex: Bistro chicken sausage and 1/2 a cup of 2% cottage cheese with some fruit spread - 225 calories on average and it'll get you so full with a bottle of water added)

Also, let yourself have desert! Jell-O mousse is 60 calories, they make 25 calorie hot chocolate, Sugar free Jell-O... even taking some raspberries and putting a chocolate chip inside each pit on it can be great. I binged when I wanted something sweet... this takes care of it.

Remember that it is and always will be a struggle... but it's manageable. :)

Good luck, sweetie. I believe you have the power in you to overcome this. We all do. <3
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    could you have your dinner later, so you go to bed soon after you're full?
  • catlady66
    Options
    If I am veg'ing in front of the TV, I grab two low cal, low or fat free items as well as a 2 liter of a diet drink. I know this sounds extreme on the drinking, but it keeps me OUT of the kitchen area. Like last night I had a Fiber one 90 cal double chocolate brownie,
    an apple and a diet soda. I just pour glasses I might want, but NEVER go to the kitchen! I am a recovering junk food addict. I hope this helps you recover also.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I had the same exact problem.

What helped was first eat every 2.5 hours to get my blood sugar stable and once I did this for a month or so I then began to eat every three hours or so. I think that binge eating is more closely related to blood sugar issues then emotional issues.

I now take some PGX every four hours to help with cravings.

What better helped me though was to start intermittent fasting and go paleo!
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Kymmu has a good point also eat before going to bed that way your not lurking around waiting for food to get shoved into your mouth!