Looking to add friends for support and motivation!

Options
Hi! My weight loss journey began long ago. When I graduated from college in 2004 I weighed in at 356lbs. I was a single mother, worked 3 jobs, and was an honors-track English major. I didn't have time to eat well or exercise and I found myself reaching for junk foods to combat fatigue. Writing papers/a thesis at 3am requires more than coffee.

I slowly began to lose weight by eating right and walking every day. I lost slowly and by 2007 I weighed 245. In 2008 I started dating a wonderful man and we were married in January of 2010. We had a little boy in October of 2010. However, getting married and having a baby has not been good for my waistline. When Sam moved in and we married a year later I found myself snacking and eating "guy food." Sam is 6'5" and with broad shoulders (he looks like a linebacker) he can take on the calories that I cannot handle. But there I was eating pizza, wings, ice cream....

In January of this year I decided to get serious about weight loss. I didn't work on it last year because I was breastfeeding. I am still nursing my little boy Atticus, but only here and there. When I signed up for MFP at the end of December I was 295. I've gained 50 pounds since May of 2008. How frustrating!

The good news is that a combination of exercise and eating right has helped. I am currently at 288. The water, exercise, and healthy food is having other benefits too: my skin is clearer, I'm sleeping well, and I feel much more sprightly.

I'm a mom, a library worker, book nerd, blogger, and I love my tattoos (my husband is a tattoo artist). I also love baking (oh no!), embroidery, knitting, crocheting, and crafty works in general. My daughter, Hope, is about to turn 12 and Atticus is 15 months. I'm looking for people with similar interests, a comparable amount of weight to lose, or just plain old nice people.

My blog is Fig and Thistle and it can be found at http://figandthistle.blogspot.com

Amanda

Replies

• JThomas61
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I am always looking to add new friends. I have been on MFP 315 days and counting. I have lost 75 pounds and have turned into a calorie burning fitness freak. Everyone feel free to add me.
  • SKOrnelas
    Options
    Hello,
    If you would like you could add me as a friend. I only need to loose 60 lbs but I find this site very helpful.
    Thnaks,
    Stephanie
  • cawalt
    cawalt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to add some friends too. I'm 38, married, mom of three - ages 3, 5 and 16. I am in school fulltime (pursuing my RN) and have a part time job at a family store. I am on a mission to not only lose weight but accept this as a full time lifestyle change. I want my children to make good health choices and it has to start with me.
  • lauraleeleg
    lauraleeleg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am in the exact same boat. I also want to make real and lasting changes and want my kids to learn the same. It starts with us parents, so good luck to you! :smile:
  • LeAnnaBodyByVi
    Options
    Hi! I just joined today and am also looking for support and motivation! I have struggled with weight for many, many years as well. About 2 1/2 years ago (after trying every possible diet out there) I decided I needed a lifestyle change or my health and life would suffer. I am still learning new things about health and fitness today and am continuing my goal to be a healthier, better me!
  • ah_adriana
    ah_adriana Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hi! I just joined up last month and am trying to find some motivational buddies as well :) besides the whole weight loss thing, i think we may have some stuff in common...i have a young child too, not to mention i'm a complete book nerd also!
  • Meyagi_53
    Options
    I also just joined, and looking for motivational buddies. I am from houston, (Katy) and need to get into a gym, I didnt want to pay the fees, but I might just have to... Anyone care to share any secrets, or methods that they use to loose weight??? Also add me
  • thedrummer1978
    thedrummer1978 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. i have about 100 pounds to lose and have found this site very motivational so far!
  • Victory247
    Options
    Hi! I'm new as well! In the couple of days using mfp it is really easy to use and I can actually see my eating habits and what I need to work on! I think this is really going to help me on my 90 day challenge with Body by vi!
  • anniem112
    anniem112 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Me 2 add away :)
  • or1ch6id
    Options
    please add me...always need new friends that are encouraging :) hope we can help each other
  • Trulyfree
    Options
    I'll send you a friend request!
  • Edward220
    Options
    You can add me if you like. I just joined a few days ago in order to bust through a plateau I was dealing with !! I'm looking for like minded friends also !!