let's talk about drinking

Options
2»

Replies

• razfabulous
    Options
    I would call you guys crazy but you have 30+ pounds lost so I'll listen to your advice. ;)
  • RonnieBigGunz
    Options
    I like rum straight or with diet coke, and drink plenty of water as well.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I always drink wine & log it into my diary. I drink a few times a week. I just try not to overdo it and drink a lot of water with it.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    there is typically ½ of an ounce of alcohol in a standard drink regardless of what it is.

:huh: Where are you getting your drinks? I was a bartender for about 5 years, and I can assure you very rarely is there only a 1/2 an oz of alcohol in a drink (unless someone specifically asks for a weak one). 1 shot = 1 oz. It's pretty standard to pour 1 shot into a drink. If you tip well you'll probably get even more.

My favorites are Bacardi Limon or Stoli & soda water w/ a lemon (add a splash of 7up for minimal calories if you need it sweeter). Added bonus: get a water every other drink with a lemon and no one will give you crap for drinking water since it looks just like your drink (yes my friends are immature & I still love them).

Anywho... that's my drunken 2 cents :drinker:
  • jmaffett
    Options
    I think it is important that people understand the way alcohol metabolizes in the body. The amount of calories in a drink are not the only thing that needs be be watched out for. Let us not forget that alcohol is created with sugar.

Yes to this ^^^

I would love to have a couple of drinks a night, and if you're in your 20s and 30s you can probably get away with it and still lose weight. HOWEVER, as you get older the alcohol seems to slow weight loss pretty dramatically.

As a 50-year old, even if I stay at my calorie goal if I include a couple of glasses of wine I might lose 1/2 pound that week.

OR I can cut the booze, have the same number of calories and lose 1.5 lbs. It's all in how your body processes the liquor.

All of that said, when I was in my 20s and 30s and lost weight while still going out a couple of times a week I drank only vodka & soda (that's club soda) with a slice of lemon.

Anything with fruit juices or liqueurs will have CONSIDERABLY more calories than a clear liquor like vodka, gin, rye whiskey, tequila, etc. Pina coladas, daquiris, margaritas, etc. all have loads of calories (some well over 400 calories) so steer clear!!
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like flavored vodkas and sodas with lime, sometimes I will do a Bacardi Dragonberry press w/ lime. Thats 1/2 soda and 1/2 sprite as the mixer. It's yummy, light and refreshing.
  • cvalles11
    cvalles11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well. My main problem is I drink beer though, Bud Light or Bud Light Lime. Those are like 119cals each...adds up quickly. I also usually try to not eat as much that day but then after a few beers I'm hungry and not thinking about calories haha. vicious cycle. I have been cutting back though. I remember right after I had lo and could drink I was drinking more beer than normal and one week I just stopped for a whole week and lost like 5 pounds just not drinking beer! Now I'm only drinking on the weekends and trying to cut back period...
  • DawnStott
    Options
    Smirinoff vanilla vodka and diet orange soda. Not really something I drink, but I've had some friends like it. One, I do not like that brand of vodka and two I'm cutting back on my "diet" artifical sugar. So tonight for me (YA i'm not ready to give up the drinking yet), it will be my Goose & OJ. I will admit when I lost 36 lbs on Jenny Craig, I gave up drinking all together. Its not just the drinking, its what you are eating and munching on while you're drinking! SALUD!
  • Aesto
    Aesto Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just saw a Bacardi and Diet is only 65 Calories!

that's my drink of choice but remember that's only one ounce (not even a whole shot glass). I have a shot glass with measurments, so I don't overdue it. Hope that helps.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I like rum straight or with diet coke, and drink plenty of water as well.

I agree, after a night of drinking I chug water before I go to bed. I've only had a couple hangovers and usually feel great the next day because of it
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well. My main problem is I drink beer though, Bud Light or Bud Light Lime. Those are like 119cals each...adds up quickly. I also usually try to not eat as much that day but then after a few beers I'm hungry and not thinking about calories haha. vicious cycle. I have been cutting back though. I remember right after I had lo and could drink I was drinking more beer than normal and one week I just stopped for a whole week and lost like 5 pounds just not drinking beer! Now I'm only drinking on the weekends and trying to cut back period...

Bud Select has 55 calories, but you do need to watch out for the beer munchies ;p
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I drink wine on a regular basis. I work out a little longer and earn those calories. I'm still able to drop a pound or two each week.

Alcohol has good and bad traits and affects each person differently. So figure out what works for you.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    vodka on the rocks, when I rarely drink.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I like to go out once a week and indulge in a dram of the delicious alcohol! ; )

Here are some calorie counts I'm aware of (ahem, mainly the ones I consume...)

Dry white wine or red wine (250ml 12%) = 170 cals
    Vodka/Bacardi (25ml shot) + diet coke = 50-60 cals
    Gin & slimline tonic(25ml short, small bottle of slmiline) = 60-65 cals
    Whiskey (25ml) 60-70 cals
    Baileys (50ml) = 163 cals.

My ways of surviving getting the extra cals are to eat lighter or lower calorie during the day, or perhaps have 'brunch' instead of breakfast and lunch and EXERCISE! ; ) ...also a work-out the next day normally gets rid of the hangover too! x
  • DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Instead of a whole glass of Rum and Coke, I make mini Coke and rum shooters in a shot glass! couple of those and I'm good! Less calories this way! :drinker:
  • LynneWyre
    LynneWyre Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Beck's has a very low calorie beer that I noticed won or was at the top of all the taste tests I saw at Super bowl time. I am going to try it. I am a wine drinker and I am cutting back. But if I do have a glass I am going to add it into my calorie count. I do believe it metabolizes differently though and still presents a problem around the middle....all the sugar.
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    Instead of a whole glass of Rum and Coke, I make mini Coke and rum shooters in a shot glass! couple of those and I'm good! Less calories this way! :drinker:

Hmm, I don't think so. 1 gram of alcohol contains 7 kcal (= 29 kJ) and 1 shot glass contains 1.5 fl oz. If you convert this 1.5 fl oz to grams, you will get 42.5242847 grams. Now 42.5x7 = 297.5 right so if you're taking about two shots [that if you don't get carried away], that's about 595 cals total. Not to mention the cals on food you had prior or during to the drinking session. That's why I totally turned my back on alcohol. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    there is typically ½ of an ounce of alcohol in a standard drink regardless of what it is.

:huh: Where are you getting your drinks? I was a bartender for about 5 years, and I can assure you very rarely is there only a 1/2 an oz of alcohol in a drink (unless someone specifically asks for a weak one). 1 shot = 1 oz. It's pretty standard to pour 1 shot into a drink. If you tip well you'll probably get even more.

My favorites are Bacardi Limon or Stoli & soda water w/ a lemon (add a splash of 7up for minimal calories if you need it sweeter). Added bonus: get a water every other drink with a lemon and no one will give you crap for drinking water since it looks just like your drink (yes my friends are immature & I still love them).

Anywho... that's my drunken 2 cents :drinker:

Agree. :-)
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I drink either:
    vodka diet in a tall glass= 65 calories it's 1 shot and the rest is diet coke. It helps me drink slower.
    Vodka and soda with a twist of lime or 3= 75 calories
    Miller light bottle 12oz= 96 calories
    Whiskey on the rocks= 1.25 oz= about 100 calories
  • girlholiday
    Options
    Skyy vodka & sparkling flavoured water.
    Jack on the rocks.

I have a shot glass that has 1oz measure on it, so I make sure I don't go over without realizing it.