How to decide on your goal weight?

Options
Okay so atm I am 177, I started off at 213 and I have no idea what weight I should be aiming for.

My BMI says that 114lb - 152lb is ideal but my GP also told me that as I have a large body frame and broad shoulders I should not aim too low.
What weight do you think I should aim for?

I want a flat stomach with some muscle tone...

What are you aiming for and what is your CW?

Replies

• navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 128 and currently 131..my ht is 5'4 and sw was 153..i want my bmi in the middle of "normal" but i have a med frame..someone with a larger frame i think should be upper end of normal. if your looking for a flat stomach that comes from clean eatting(no processed food) and then once the fat is gone then you can start toning!
  • notAfan
    notAfan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am at 224 now. My lowest adult weight was 120. I was 5'10" tall (now due to herniated disc I am 5'9"). I have small bones. People think that I am large boned because the first 60 lbs that I gained (in one year due to a medicine I was on) the weight went on evenly, that last 40 pounds all went to my belly. I believe the best weight for me is 135-140, but I have small bones, they are long, but small ring finger is a 5. I could get away with weighing 170 - 180 due to my height, but I really do feel better when I weigh less. So it all depends on your bone structure and where you feel the best.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for right smack in the middle of "healthy" at my BMI. Sort of. Slightly modified due to wanting more muscle. So, at 5'4, I'm going for 135.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Then don't strive for a number, just a shape!

I started at 145 and thought I would be gorgeous at 128. Got there and blah! So i decided 120. There now...hmmm... Thinking 110 it might have to be.

Just pick a number that is a good estimate, get there, the reevaluate :D
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    instead of focusing on a goal weight, i agree with sunshine_88, focus on a goal physique.

i started at 145 (at 5'7"), got down to nearly 120 lbs, and found myself unable to sustain it for a long period of time. i was restricting myself in all areas of life, and was missing out on events because i "had" to get in 2+ hours of exercise a day. now i'm concentrating on strength training more than anything else. i have seen an increase in scale weight (nearly 8lbs) but the clothes i wore at 120lbs are getting looser... :D a win-win situation in my book!
  • bellavie23
    bellavie23 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I used to be 5'8 154 lbs and had people saying I was to small, not that I care enough to make that the reason for changing my GW but I slightly agreed with them, so Im shooting for 160, I am 195 now, down from 228 (dec 19,2011).
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and going for 164 to start and then 150 as a final. 164 puts me out of the overweight category and more/less where I sat in high school before joining the Air Force. For starters, I need to get to 180 for Air Force officer training.
  • april1lowe
    april1lowe Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and currently 146 (was 187) but I started with a goal of 150. Like sunshine_88 said, I got there, reevaluated and reset my goal for 135. My BMI ideal weight is 124-138 however I'm a naturally curvy girl, hips, bust, thighs, so I'm thinking 135 will be it for me. Puts me at a healthy BMI (not that BMI is an accurate calculator since it can't tell muscle from fat) and the smallest I've ever been! :) I was 150 lbs and a juniors size 11 in high school (saw 145 for a few mths) and now at 26 and a 2 year old later, I'm 146 and I just got into a misses size 10 (8 in some styles!). SO....I'm mainly going for shape/size but aiming for 135 for sure but will reevaluate when I get there. I can't imagine going anything less then 130 honestly. I think once I get into a size 8 I'll be very happy!!! I'm pretty pumped being a size 10 since I was an 18 a year ago!
  • Sheila1968
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and from 16 - 28 years old weighed 130. Started lifting weights and put on 10 pounds, but all my clothes still fit. Stayed at 140 until I hit perimenopause at 39, and now I'm struggling to stay in the upper 150s and desperately want to get back to 140 again. Somehow I don't think it's ever going to happen since I've been trying for four years and haven't gotten below 155 for more than a day. Just keep flip-flopping between 155-157, week after week after week.

If my clothes fit, I wouldn't care, but since everything is too tight now, I'm not sure what to do. I agree with everyone else's comments by and large - go with how you look and feel rather than a number.
  • castaliavt
    castaliavt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and my first goal weight is going to be 135. Last time I weighed that, I was super fit and felt great. I will re-evaluate as I get closer to that goal.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Figure out what a healthy BMI is for you and make that your long term goal, and accept that it may have to change one way or the other depending on how your weight loss looks as you go. Don't do what i did and just pick a super low number...At one time I thought I wanted to be 115 (it sound so hilarious now... I'm 5'9".... what was I thinking??!). But once I saw how thin I was at 140, I decided 130-135 is more realistic (not to mention healthy and attractive).

You might find that reaching your goal weight is not be what you really wanted to be working for anyway. I'm perfectly healthy and happy where I am at 137. If I never lose another pound, I'm still content with my weight loss. I'll shoot for 130 just because I want to see how I feel there, but who knows...I might look like Olive Oil from Popeye and want to gain 5lbs back. Focus less on the end result (although you should keep it in mind) and really pay attention to each healthy decision you make, every time you choose a side salad over fries or you decide to go the gym instead of vegging out on the couch. Those are the moments that will really define you as a healthy and fit individual.

Not to mention... it sounds like you are already on the right track based on your PHENOMENAL weight loss so far! Kudos!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Figure out what a healthy BMI is for you and make that your long term goal, and accept that it may have to change one way or the other depending on how your weight loss looks as you go. Don't do what i did and just pick a super low number...At one time I thought I wanted to be 115 (it sound so hilarious now... I'm 5'9".... what was I thinking??!). But once I saw how thin I was at 140, I decided 130-135 is more realistic (not to mention healthy and attractive).

You might find that reaching your goal weight is not be what you really wanted to be working for anyway. I'm perfectly healthy and happy where I am at 137. If I never lose another pound, I'm still content with my weight loss. I'll shoot for 130 just because I want to see how I feel there, but who knows...I might look like Olive Oil from Popeye and want to gain 5lbs back. Focus less on the end result (although you should keep it in mind) and really pay attention to each healthy decision you make, every time you choose a side salad over fries or you decide to go the gym instead of vegging out on the couch. Those are the moments that will really define you as a healthy and fit individual.

Not to mention... it sounds like you are already on the right track based on your PHENOMENAL weight loss so far! Kudos!!

Will defs keep that in mind!!!

And thankyou :blushing:
  • thea724
    Options
    Highest Wt: 301--12/31/11

Current Wt: 279--2/9/12

Goal Wt: 165-175

Ideal Wt: ..... who he heck cares??? for me...a big girl all my life...I felt "smokin" at 169...my sister said I looked anorexic...but what ev
    my "ideal" weight is lower than that, but I can't imagine being less than 165..don't think I'd want to ...

I think whatever is Healthy and where you feel comfortable should be your goal...

:flowerforyou:
  • Sabineslims
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and I'd like to be 140. I am currently at 155 & started at 170.

I chose 140 because that was my weight almost 6 years ago and I felt fantastic there. I have a curvy body and I would like to keep it that way. I have never been super thin but looked/felt really healthy at 140.

When I first started this, I wanted to be 150 but I realized that 150 was a 'comfortable' number for me. It is easy for my body to get there. I feel good at 150 but not great. 140 is a true challenge for me. I have to push to get there & stay there.

I can't wait. 15 more pounds to go!!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am 5'3 currently 169lbs and my goal weight is between 135 and 140 which takes me into a healthy BMI. Although if I managed to get into a UK size 10-12 I would be quite happy lol!
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    How accurate is BMI though? Look at some of the profesional sportsmen/women, particulary in contact sports. Some of these guys weigh in excess of 250lbs but may have say 7-10% body fat, yet these people are SERIOUSLY fit and healthy!

So should we really judge our healthy weight by a 'healthy' BMI?

I really do not know the correct answer to this and even more worrying my doctor can't answer it either!

Personally, I'm just going with the flow until I feel what is right for me just setting small achievable goals along the way.

FYI, according to the BMI I should weigh between 168 and 176, never going to happen, I left school and started work I weighed 204lb with body fat of 8% and extremely fit! If I hit my recommended weight now 23 years on I would probably be ill!