1200 calories per day

Options
Hello! I'm new, I've only just discovered My Fitness Pal (via the ipad). I've been on a diet for about a month without it and have lost 30lbs - over the last week it's slowed down a lot and I've only lost a few lbs this week. I guess it's probably water?

Anyway, I'm currently 401lbs, the app has given me a 2260 calories per day goal. On the diet I've been on I've been consuming on average 1100-1200 calories.

Today I ate under 1200 calories and had a message on the app that said I should be eating more than 1200. After some research I found information that states if you consume less than 1200 calories per day it will likely burn muscle and not fat. After reading that I grabbed 2 slices of wholemeal bread to take me over the 1200!

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this? Should I make sure I meet at least 1200 a day? Or would it be more because of my size? (I'm 400lbs)? Or does it really not make a difference? Do you think I should aim for about 1200-1300 a day?

I don't mind if I don't lose weight as fast, I just want to have a healthy balanced diet while doing so. Having said that, there's no way I could eat the recommended 2260 calories per day! (not healthy food anyway :p)

This might be a stupid question, if it is I'm sorry. I'm just trying to figure out why I haven't lost much this week and I've read too much online about different theories... it makes my head hurt :( So I'd like the opinion of people who are going through the same thing/have experienced it themselves.

Replies

• danlie
    Options
    i think 1200 for you in your weight is extremely low, you dont have enough cal to burn your fat, since ur muscle have to carry your weight, I will suggest you to 2000 and then keep drop to 1200, for example, in this week, you might consume 2000 a day, the next week, 1950 a day,~~~and one think you should remember, don't make urself too hungry, divided into couples meals~~good luck!
  • PansyPansyowsy
    Options
    i got the same problem too! i joined for about a week and everyday i did not meet the 1200 calorie goal... but i dare not to eat much. i just stop when i start to feel full coz i am worried i will get back to the old me eating too much and too full evrery meal!

Wish someone can answer this question too coz i dun wanna burn muscles (which i dun have much) rather than fat!
  • spacecampsucks
    spacecampsucks Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i think 1200 for you in your weight is extremely low, you dont have enough cal to burn your fat, since ur muscle have to carry your weight, I will suggest you to 2000 and then keep drop to 1200, for example, in this week, you might consume 2000 a day, the next week, 1950 a day,~~~and one think you should remember, don't make urself too hungry, divided into couples meals~~good luck!

Thank you for the response, I'm certainly reconsidering raising my daily intake. I don't get hungry much in between meals (I think I've gotten used to it now) and have been having generous portions of vegetables with meals.
    I really don't think I feel comfortable with going as high as 2000 though! I might try it one week and see what the outcome is :)
    i got the same problem too! i joined for about a week and everyday i did not meet the 1200 calorie goal... but i dare not to eat much. i just stop when i start to feel full coz i am worried i will get back to the old me eating too much and too full evrery meal!

Wish someone can answer this question too coz i dun wanna burn muscles (which i dun have much) rather than fat!
    That's what I'm scared of. I want to burn fat, not muscle! My problem is... I'm in LOVE with vegetable stir fry. You get huge portion for very little calories... I guess I'll add some meat to get a few more calories
  • gleechick609
    Options
    There is a reason you are at 2260 calories. Eat them!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Adding a bit of lean protein (like chicken) to your stir-fry will do you a world of good... feed the muscles that will help you burn the fat! :smile:
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Each person is a little different. Try something in the middle like 1800. Stick with that for 2 weeks and see how it works. I know the calculated mfp calories didn't work for me so I had to modify it
  • spacecampsucks
    spacecampsucks Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your responses.

After discovering the website, I've realised I can change the daily calorie goal (don't get this option on the app!)

I'm going to set it at 1600 and add more meat/protein, see how that works and readjust from there.

Once again, thank you for your replies!