Eating back exercise calories

Options
I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and am trying to figure out whether I should eat back any of my exercise calories. Has anyone read anything on this? What do you all do?

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Here is a link for you to read about it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

I found out the hard way you need to eat back your calories.

Good Luck! :o)
  • LynneWyre
    LynneWyre Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am wondering this too! By the time I add in my exercise burn I am quite a bit below my calorie intake because I am really
    trying to watch what I eat. But isn't the objective to be below so that you can lose the lbs? I have read some comments
    about people not eating enough - but if you don't have a calorie deficit than you don't lose the weight.
    I need more explanation I guess.
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Dont eat them back. It is easy to over estimate how much you have burned because it is hard to accurately track it. It is easier to track what goes into your mouth rather than the energy you expend.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and am trying to figure out whether I should eat back any of my exercise calories. Has anyone read anything on this? What do you all do?

I am doing a 30 day Jillian Program. It comes free with any dvd you purchase ( you just have to cancel before the 30 days is up or they charge you a ton)--- anyway, She has a food log set up like this, but not as good..I used her logging system for 1 day and after adding food and exercise..my limit went up. so YES YOU CAN EAT THEM, & SHOULD eat as many as you feel you need! I try to eat as many as I can. I'm not a big eater so it's hard, but do try. You're body needs the extra fuel.
  • Kristinmcc929
    Kristinmcc929 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have always had more success eating back some of my calories. I try to eat back about half on a day that I run (when I burn 400-700 calories). I also try to make the calories I eat back protein.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I would say eat some of them back if you feel you need it.

Excercise takes alot out of you and if in the end if you are hungry and feel you need a little something then go ahead and eat. I would not suggest if you burn 3000 calories to go aheaad and eat 3000 calories but a small meal of 300 calories or so shouldn't hurt you.

And having just a small meal or say a protein shake will give you what you need but prevent you from over eating just incase the estimate of calories burned are not as accurate as you hope.

Good luck :)
  • crazykat2
    Options
    I was told by my trainer, not to eat back the calories, because then I am just eating the work I have done. So I stick to my 1400 per day (for now) and then just go from there.
  • LynneWyre
    LynneWyre Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    But if you eat them back then you don't lose any weight?!
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

MFP tells you to net at least x amount of calories (such as 1200). Otherwise you are going to get into starvation mode. I know from experience! It sucks, but it's true :flowerforyou:
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Dont eat them back. It is easy to over estimate how much you have burned because it is hard to accurately track it. It is easier to track what goes into your mouth rather than the energy you expend.

So since I did a P90x workout today and burned 860 calories (according to my HRM) and my daily goal is 1200, that would leave my body with 340 calories to live off of for today...uhhh that does NOT sound healthy to me.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    does nobody look into how and why the MFP setup works? yes. you do lose weight. because you are automatically set to be at a deficit. you work out, to make the deficit even bigger. so if you eat them back, you may lose slower. but you also won't drop to unsafe, too-low levels of calorie intake.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    But if you eat them back then you don't lose any weight?!

Not true. You want to net at least your lowest suggested calories. You are already depriving yourself up to 1000+ calories per day when you are only eating 1200. If you don't believe me research it. I took a hefty nutrition class in college and was shocked what I learned from it. Eat them back or starve your body. :flowerforyou: I hope you eat!
  • mizzoulaxgirl26
    mizzoulaxgirl26 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The calories they give you already have a deficit. So if you are exercising, you still need to eat because you need to get to the original calorie amount. There is still a deficit there to keep losing according to your plan.
  • donnamfreitagross
    Options
    Great question because I am confused as well!!
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Here is a link for you to read about it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

I found out the hard way you need to eat back your calories.

Good Luck! :o)

This is another great form
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • zoey36918
    Options
    I have always ate back my exercise calories... it is why I workout so hard! I have lost 27lbs and went from a size 6 to a size 0!
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    does nobody look into how and why the MFP setup works? yes. you do lose weight. because you are automatically set to be at a deficit. you work out, to make the deficit even bigger. so if you eat them back, you may lose slower. but you also won't drop to unsafe, too-low levels of calorie intake.

NO, WHY should yea? U can just ask!! LOL I know u love me tshock!!!
  • kiki41
    kiki41 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    IF you're hungry and you feel so inclined, eat them back or at least part of them. Just make them protein calories. If you feel hungry and not just boredom hungry or just cause the calories are there hungry, then eat them if you wish. If it doesn't work for you, then change it up.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates our total daily calorie intake WITHOUT exercise to lose 1 pound or so per week.
    And after we log exercises, our daily calorie limit increases.
    Why?
    Because MFP telling us to eat our exercise calories.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    These crash diets work well for a season -- and sure enough, the pounds melt away. But when you eat so
    few calories, you train your metabolism to slow down. Once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
  • DrivenDiva
    DrivenDiva Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates our total daily calorie intake WITHOUT exercise to lose 1 pound or so per week.
    And after we log exercises, our daily calorie limit increases.
    Why?
    Because MFP telling us to eat our exercise calories.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    These crash diets work well for a season -- and sure enough, the pounds melt away. But when you eat so
    few calories, you train your metabolism to slow down. Once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.

Best explanation I've read on this so far. I was so confused! Thank YOU!!!