is there anything i can do

Options
before a workout to give me more energy because i have ZERO energy for my workouts period!!!!!

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Eat something?

I usually have a small protein shake before heading to the gym.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Eat something with carbs in it. That will give you a boost.
  • lou1618
    lou1618 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a protein bar before I work our about 15-20 mins before and when I am done about 5-10 mins after I eat a banana. A little fuel before and a litttle fuel after.
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    see I just ate but have no energy still.. was wondering if I should have an energy drink or something like that before...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Energy drinks are just sugar, I wouldn't recommend them. Some dried fruit would have the same effect, with the benefit of fibre.

I like some wholewheat toast with peanut butter, or a banana, before a workout.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    see I just ate but have no energy still.. was wondering if I should have an energy drink or something like that before...

Maybe a quick fix isn't the answer. Maybe it has to do with the quality and/or quantity of your regular eating. If you are eating too little (total) or too much junk food, that can affect your energy levels.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

don't have an energy drink that contains stimulants. That will just put extra strain on your heart. The more often you exercise, the more energy you'll likely have in the future for exericse, if you are eating a well balanced diet.
  • CherryPie606
    CherryPie606 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used to have black coffee but thats cos I used to work out before work at like 6am

ETA - this probably wasn't the healthiest option. I just don't work out so early anymore
  • lmd77
    lmd77 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with a prior post, you'll have more energy as working out becomes more of a habit. I tend to have a small meal about two hours before a workout and a little something after.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Caffeine pills or a cup of coffee work for some. I take a pre-workout NO supplement (NO Xplode), which contains caffeine and other ingredients, and that gets me going for my late night workouts.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You said you just ate... if you ate a lot (either calorie-wise or volume-wise) you may be feeling sluggish because of that. Perhaps try timing your workouts a few hours after eating instead of soon after.
  • melissamason941
    Options
    make sure you have had plenty of water & drink a glass right before you go (30m or so). then just chug thru it, it will get better. don't eat too much becuz your digestion kinda shuts down during exercise, a half a banana before or some almond butter & apple. Also do you use an ipod for music? i have been doing an eliptical for 45 min (about 4miles) & some tunes w/snappy beats really helps!!