Do you know what makes you binge or not binge

I usually binge when I argue with my wife or a get stressed about bills. Ironic ha, I get stressed about bills and then order in $40 dollars of chinese food? What's your trigger?

Replies

• Any kind of negative emotion can make me want to. On the one hand, when my aunt died last year and I was about 4000 miles away I went on a huge binge (2 large jars of nutella over 2 days, washed down with soda and pizza and chips) and basically decided I'd done too much damage and it ruined all my progress dieting, so gave up soon after.. then on the other hand, I can look in the mirror and still see my love handles clinging on, and think 'f*** it, they're never going to get away I might as well not bother' and go on a binge because of that. Admittedly, I'm doing a lot better controlling my binges this time, and getting back on track the day after, but they're still there.

Another big one for me is going over my daily calories. The minute I go over, even by 20 or 30 I just feel like I've failed.. and like I said up before, feel that I've ruined all my progress, so I might as well -really- screw it up.. if it's already ruined, why not just ruin it further.

*shrugs* it's something I'm working on, but yeah, not quite there yet.
  • Mine would have to be stress and when I'm feeling depressed. It actually just happened tonight when we went and ate pizza buffet but I can't let it pull me back into old habits and keep me from reaching my goal. Tomorrow is a new day and back to healthy living I go. Bye bye junk food!
  • when i restrict myself from something i REALLY want to eat, and if it stays in the kitchen for like 2 days, i'll be like hey i might as well eat this since i've been trying to avoid it. something like that.
  • blueham5
    blueham5 Posts: 67 Member
    A combination of boredom and overeating during the day. Like littlegoat, I also have an all or nothing attitude when it comes to calories. So I either eat under my goal or will overshoot it by several hundred at least. Luckily I stay under most of the time because of IF and busy schedules.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    not having something to feel guilty about if I do it (i.e. exercise)
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    pot makes me binge.
  • Stress like when someone ticks me off or is just very rude/mean to me. Also aunt flow tries to get me to eat everything in the universe
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    boredom + tv

evenings are my "me time" to rest and catch up on tv shows, but that often leaves my hands idle and so I'm always snacking. I recently started a blog about a juice cleanse I'm doing, and that's helped a lot (plus I'm doing a juice cleanse...) to keep my hands busy so i'm not reaching for chips. and pizza. and cookies.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    I go over when I'm feeling blue. I've gone over the past two day because of it (but luckily not too horrendously)
    Happier again today so hoping to be under enough to equal it out (with exercise - not by starving myself) x
  • I have no idea... Usually when I eat pizza I have 3 slices instead of 1 then I just eat everything :(
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    When I am tired....that is when I binge. I lose focus of my healthy eating way of life....I is happening less and less....I try to get plenty of sleep but some days it just happens. I forgive myself and move on,,l,l
  • a21smp
    a21smp Posts: 26 Member
    Stress is absolutely a trigger and I'm always stressed. Too much responsibility and not enough help. Ugh.

11609342.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    To celebrate, when I'm happy, with friends at a meal out. When I'm sad, when I'm alone, when I'm anxious. When I am tired. Really I will use any excuse to overeat! I must stop making excuses and listen to my tummy...full, stop!
  • When I can't *kitten*
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    I'm learning new triggers all the time. Some of the ones I've identified are boredom, reading, tv, social anxiety situations like meeting new groups of people, low grade work stress (for some reason I deal better with high stress situations), arguing with the missus, tiredness, episodes of low blood sugar, being alone in the house, a large scale event (like one of my wifes shows) finishing and the stress of it lifting off, eating sugars, being up past midnight...
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 201 Member
    Stress in my job, I mean how many times do I have to show these people something :devil:
    Funny though I get to a point where the stress will cause me to binge or it goes the totally other end and I don't eat at all.
    It is just 6 letters and yet it causes so much trouble :laugh:
    My doctor has told me to find a new job that many times, I'm working on it
  • Boredom is a huge one for me

And if I'm super stressed out
  • mrsbastone
    mrsbastone Posts: 83 Member
    I always seem to binge in social situations. I go in prepared ready not to eat anything bad and end up out eating everybody there. At home when I am in my routine I usually can stop myself. Not sure why I can't hold myself accountable when friends and family are around.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Stress, plain and simple.
  • Ytrid
    Ytrid Posts: 181 Member
    Stress i guess.. My son was Admitted to a childrens hospital 3 hours away from home, i have been living out of a Ronald McDonald house and after a month of GREAT choices and 11 pounds i have found myself either not eating at all 300 calories in 1 day for example, or i binge on the stress carbs and sweets laying around the community kitchen, but after loging my dinner tonight i decided even in times of stress i can't let it get to me like this that i either dont eat or binge so i stopped by Whole Foods after i left the hospital and to get back on track tomorrow.