when in doubt... eat oatmeal

Options

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Over 40 studies show that eating oatmeal may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. According to Quaker, all it takes is 3/4 cup of oatmeal each day to help lower cholesterol. The soluble fiber in oats helps remove LDL or "bad" cholesterol, while maintaining the good cholesterol that your body needs. In January 1997, the Food and Drug Administration announced that oatmeal could carry a label claiming it may reduce the risk of heart disease when combined with a low-fat diet.

The soluble fiber in oatmeal absorbs a considerable amount of water which significantly slows down your digestive process. This result is that you'll feel full longer, i.e. oatmeal can help you control your weight.

I stopped reading at ''according to Quaker''. You do realize they are the ones trying to SELL you their oatmeal, don't you?!!!!!
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    i also recommend Overnight Oats mmmmmmmmmmmm!!

whats that???

the night before i took my oats and put them in milk (or water, whatever you like to mix in) and added watever flavors i wanted (i did cinnamon and vanilla, but if you wanted plain that also works) and i left it to soak up overnight in the fridge. I've heard rolled oats work best, but instant does work just doesnt soak up as much lol. I personally eat Oatbran and it worked fine too, so whatever you want to use :)
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    Over 40 studies show that eating oatmeal may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. According to Quaker, all it takes is 3/4 cup of oatmeal each day to help lower cholesterol. The soluble fiber in oats helps remove LDL or "bad" cholesterol, while maintaining the good cholesterol that your body needs. In January 1997, the Food and Drug Administration announced that oatmeal could carry a label claiming it may reduce the risk of heart disease when combined with a low-fat diet.

The soluble fiber in oatmeal absorbs a considerable amount of water which significantly slows down your digestive process. This result is that you'll feel full longer, i.e. oatmeal can help you control your weight.

I stopped reading at ''according to Quaker''. You do realize they are the ones trying to SELL you their oatmeal, don't you?!!!!!

According to recent studies, a diet that includes oatmeal may help reduce high blood pressure. The reduction is linked to the increase in soluble fiber provided by oatmeal. Oats contain more soluble fiber than whole wheat, rice or corn.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm on the CarbLover's Diet, and this past week, I had a bowl of oatmeal, and a banana sprinkled with cinnamon for breakfast. I was satisfied for about 5 hours. It was great, filling, plus, I never had a blood sugar spike, like most people associate carbs to do.

It's all about the healthy carbs.......
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    i also recommend Overnight Oats mmmmmmmmmmmm!!

whats that???

the night before i took my oats and put them in milk (or water, whatever you like to mix in) and added watever flavors i wanted (i did cinnamon and vanilla, but if you wanted plain that also works) and i left it to soak up overnight in the fridge. I've heard rolled oats work best, but instant does work just doesnt soak up as much lol. I personally eat Oatbran and it worked fine too, so whatever you want to use :)

cool cool
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

i agree Quaker probably isn't who you want to rely on for information but really carbs are good for you. Just pick the healthier options lol :)
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    There are many good points to oatmeal.. lowers cholesterol, complex carb, high fiber...

Try this:

2/3 cup oats
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/2 Tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup water
    1 tsp honey
    1 tbsp slivered almonds

Mix all together, microwave on high 2 minutes... roughly 291 calories serves 1
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate oatmeal...only 160 calories got it from this organic store it cost me $1.70

Ok I need the name of that store! Hopefully they can ship it! lol
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is high carb with not enough fiber or protein to split the difference.
    Plus, nobody eats plain oatmeal, they put other high carb stuff in it so it tastes like dessert.

Exactly^
    It's just a big bowl of carbs and people add sugar on top of it.

Way to generalize...
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    oatmeal and a peach ..YUM

I eat this a lot. Oatmeal, canned peaches and a splash of milk. Mmmm mmmm good.
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    Add fruit for sweetness and it is good carb and has some protein but I have added greek yougurt or cottage cheese to up the protein. It feels me up more then other cereal products, I am going to try grits and cream of wheat and see how that goes. Find your nitch!
  • smoochypearl
    Options

i agree Quaker probably isn't who you want to rely on for information but really carbs are good for you. Just pick the healthier options lol :)

Yes i'm sure oatmeal is a better carb to eat than some others
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    dark chocolate oatmeal...only 160 calories got it from this organic store it cost me $1.70

Ok I need the name of that store! Hopefully they can ship it! lol

http://www.betteroats.com/oats/lavish/dark_chocolate/

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    unless the doubt is 'i need protein' or 'i need fat'

then yes. oatmeal is pretty fantastic. keeps you full. is warm. can add stuff to it.

a really great food.
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    unless the doubt is 'i need protein' or 'i need fat'

then yes. oatmeal is pretty fantastic. keeps you full. is warm. can add stuff to it.

a really great food.

yea i ran out of chicken breast >_<
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    Add fruit for sweetness and it is good carb and has some protein but I have added greek yougurt or cottage cheese to up the protein. It feels me up more then other cereal products, I am going to try grits and cream of wheat and see how that goes. Find your nitch!

I like cream of wheat ..but i have to add a lot of bad stuff to enjoy it ..
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    ^_^ oatmeal and....blueberries
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is good for you - whole grains, fiber. You don't need to rely on Quaker to know that.

The thing about carbs (and fat, and protein) is that you need enough, but not too much. Oatmeal is one of the "good" carbs, but you shouldn't just be eating oatmeal all the time. The MFP iPod app has a nifty little pie chart that shows what percent of your calories is coming from each group (I wish they would put it on the website, it's really useful). In my research I've found 50%, 55%, & 60% as good targets for carbohydrate intake.

Personally, I have oatmeal for breakfast every day. I add some chocolate flavored protein powder to get some protein and sweeten it with dried fruit (which, somehow, seems to keep it from getting too thick. Not sure how that works, I just really hate it without the fruit.) Dried fruit is not very good for you, but it's fast and easy (compared to fresh fruit) and I can't seem to find a substitute that I like.

It's also good because I can make several homemade "packets" of oatmeal and they will keep in my desk drawer for a long time. This saves me time in the morning and ensures I get a healthy breakfast every day.

My meals throughout the rest of the day include some carbs, some fat, and some protein. I adjust portion sizes and make substitutions so my calorie balance is around 50% carbs, 25% fat, 25% protein.

Oatmeal for breakfast was the first big change I made in my diet and it's really helping. I have energy in the morning and don't feel hungry until lunch time. Sometimes I'll have oatmeal for other meals, too. But that's usually because it's a better alternative than going to the grocery store hungry, or eating the pizza they brought in for a lunch meeting.

In summary: Oatmeal has it's place, but you need other stuff too.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Get some protein powder. It has a long shelf life and is a decent substitute when you need protein. It mixes great with fruit (I keep frozen fruit on hand just for this purpose).
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Why all the hate for oatmeal? I love having some plain oatmeal with a few drops of honey. Mmmmm! Delicious!