Need Help With Measuring

Options
I cannot figuire out how to measure ounces. For example, I had spaghetti tonight for dinner. The box says 2 oz. dry noodles is a serving. How do you measure out ounces. Thank you for the help.

Replies

• ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You need a food scale, or look for food item that had cooked/prepared mesurement in a cup or again back to oz. then again you need a food scale. You need a food scale, did I say that.

good luck, get a food scale.
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    good luck, get a food scale.

I giggled.
  • ShardeRenee
    ShardeRenee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    if you have a dry measuring cup you can put the food there then convert it to ounces. a little extra work but it worked for me b4 i had my scale
  • ladyplaz
    ladyplaz Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your help. I will check out wal-mart and see if they have a scale. :happy:
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    I use a postal scale and it works just fine. Not saying it is better, I happened to already have it and it weighs ounces, lbs and grams. I consider a scale of some kind to measure food to be essential.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, there's a pretty decent digital scale by Mainstays at Wal-Mart for about $20. I'm gonna upgrade to a digital one, because I think my spring loaded scale has bit the dust after all my moves that I've had since I got it.
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I use a postal scale and it works just fine. Not saying it is better, I happened to already have it and it weighs ounces, lbs and grams. I consider a scale of some kind to measure food to be essential.

I agree and I also had a postal scale already.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    omg, i f u fi gure it out, plz let me know!! they say pasta triples in size so i count 6 oz cooked as 2 dry
  • ericaturner32
    Options
    They have one for less that $6.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    What they said. Scale is essential. I was guesstimating at first, when I got a scale I found I was actually eating less than I should have been.
  • livingaloha
    Options
    food scales are the way to go and also teach us to realize what a portion really looks like. I was just using a cheap spring type scale which worked ok but was finally wearing out, just upgraded to a digital scale from walmart, cost was around $24.00
  • adhillman01
    Options
    if you have a dry measuring cup you can put the food there then convert it to ounces. a little extra work but it worked for me b4 i had my scale

This actually isn't accurate. Weight ounces like for dried pasta are not the same as volume ounces for liquids. You need a food scale.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Scales are a great tool for calorie counting and for making recipes more accurate. Here are my top issues for choosing food scales:

* Digital
    Make sure the digits are large and clear.

* Flat top
    So you can use your own pans or bowls for maximum flexibility. I wouldn't get one with an included jug or bowl.

* Must be able to display grams.

* Precision to 1 g

* Maximum weight
    Most go to 3 kg (6.6 lb). Some go to 5 kg (11 lb). The extra capacity isn't essential, but it's very useful.

* Tare (add and weight) function.
    Essential. Most have this now.

* Batteries.
    Check that you're happy with the battery type it provides. Some have AA or AAA batteries. Some have button batteries. These are all fine but you need to be able to replace them at short notice from a local shop. Your personal devil will make them run out just when you need them most.

I think $20 to $30 is a fair budget.