Happy but confused

Options
This week (my first week) I have lost 11lb!! and 1 and a half inches off of my hips and an inch off of my waist! WAHOO!

BUT

Is this normal? I know that your first few weeks you mainly lose water so could it be that? Im not on any dieting tablets or anything like that iv just been sticking to the calories and excersizing

Replies

• iwisheyes
    Options
    "Normal" is a relative term. Depending on many factors, one of which is your current weight, losing 10-12lbs in a week is not unheard of, but it generally doesn't happen beyond the first week or two (at least, it hasn't for anyone I personally know). Still, it is great progress, and you should be proud! Keep doing what you are doing.
  • Steph_Gemini
    Options
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I lost 11lb my first week too. I reckon it was due to really upping how much water I was drinking and the drastic change from my previous way of eating. Lost 3.5lb this week (week 2) so its slowed down but still good!
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    sounds to me like a job well done :D

at the beginning of an exercise/diet program, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose, you may find you drop a whole bunch of weight in the first couple of weeks. a lot of it is typically water. don't get discouraged if you only lose a pound or two in the next week... it's still progress, and you're getting closer to your goal every day!
  • comicsmaniac
    Options
    That's awesome! Congrats!
    It just means you're doing it right! It's likely that your weight loss will slow down in the weeks to come, but you're definitely on the right path! Good going!
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I lost 11lb my first week too. I reckon it was due to really upping how much water I was drinking and the drastic change from my previous way of eating. Lost 3.5lb this week (week 2) so its slowed down but still good!

Well done you. I agree. I've lost 9 pounds my first five days.
  • Steph_Gemini
    Options
    Thanks everyone :D
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    Well done! Normal is relative, but if you've suddenly cut a lot of things out of your diet and started eating healthier, it's not unusual to lose a lot in one go. I've cut alcohol out completely and lost 5lb this week. Go us!