Feeling trimmer but without any weight loss!!

Options
Hi All,

I have been on My Fitness Pal for about 8 months and have lost 16kg however recently I have seemed to stall.

I got to about 112kg and went up and and down on this weight over xmas...but after xmas after putting on 2kg I dropped that very quickly however for the past month I have been unable to lose anymore weight.

I am coming under my calorie goal every day, I exercise every day including running, cycling, and cross training (am training for a 10k in Ireland in April). I do also do weights and my partner has commented that I have really buffed up in the past 4 weeks.

My question is this, I know we have all heard the "muscle is heavier than fat" argument but could that be true here, according to my weight chart if the plan was working I should have lost 2kg more since the beginning of January than I have but if anything I have put on 0.5kg...so could it be the muscle bulk is offsetting the weight loss.

I am trying not to get demotivated by the lack of losses recently as I am clearly fitter and trimmer but I cannot deny the little voice that keeps telling me I am doing something wrong

Help!!

Chris

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    There is a link to a website i cant remember the name but the girl is called stacey.
    It's her photo at first -lighter weight, looking flabbier and bigger, then next photo - heavier weight on scales but looking trimmer and firmer after weight training.
    The basic message was don't worry about the scale weight, look for the evidence. that's why taking regular photos is a great idea.
    Good Luck!
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I have been on My Fitness Pal for about 8 months and have lost 16kg however recently I have seemed to stall.

I got to about 112kg and went up and and down on this weight over xmas...but after xmas after putting on 2kg I dropped that very quickly however for the past month I have been unable to lose anymore weight.

I am coming under my calorie goal every day, I exercise every day including running, cycling, and cross training (am training for a 10k in Ireland in April). I do also do weights and my partner has commented that I have really buffed up in the past 4 weeks.

My question is this, I know we have all heard the "muscle is heavier than fat" argument but could that be true here, according to my weight chart if the plan was working I should have lost 2kg more since the beginning of January than I have but if anything I have put on 0.5kg...so could it be the muscle bulk is offsetting the weight loss.

I am trying not to get demotivated by the lack of losses recently as I am clearly fitter and trimmer but I cannot deny the little voice that keeps telling me I am doing something wrong

Help!!

Chris

when i first added strength training i lost inches like crazy but stayed the same weight on the scales...

as the other post said, you should be measuring on how you look naked not what the scales say! sounds like you're doing well!!
  • Skyflier83
    Options
    Hi Chris,

I'm like you and haven't seen the scales move... I feel better and slimmer than I did and absolutely love the weights that I do... I just bought a tape measure as I kept on getting down when weighing myself and am hoping that it will help me keep focused.

One point is though that under-eating on your calories isn't good - not when you train so hard. I read this book by James Duigan about eating clean and lean and he recommends having at least one cheat meal where you eat whatever you like to keep your metabolism working. The downside of being super disciplined is that your body just gets used to working at that calorie level! So mix it up and don't be too hard on yourself - you're doing brilliantly!
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Blarg! LOL ok I confess I look better now at 192 pounds then when I was 140 pounds after losing 100 pounds. when you do strength training and such your body changes its shape and you get tighter. If your diet is lean and high in protein even better changes will come!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    If you feel good and look good..i'd go with it! Scales are silly
  • cbenzerga
    cbenzerga Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Go by measurments! not the scale in your case you are weight training, measure key areas and forget about the scale! Your doing great.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i've been at 218 pounds since end of november. my body fat percentage has gone down almost 4% since then. so yeah... scales suck.
  • nisseanne
    Options
    You can't judge your health by the scale alone. When you first start working out, you'll lose a lot of fat tissue and drop weight. Then you start to build muscle tissue which actually weighs more than fat so you might see an increase in the numbers on the scale while still loosing fat and becoming more healthy. Don't give up! If you're feeling trimmer, more energetic, and more healthy then you're doing it right! Keep going!
  • chrisamurdoch
    chrisamurdoch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice....really helpful and keeping me motivated

Cheers!!