Who Knew!? Loving Lifting!

Options
I just started at the gym and hubby has shown me a few things lifting weights and i LOVE LOVE LOVE how strong and empowered it makes me feel! It's amazing.Read some previous threads on here and next week I'm heading over to the library to borrow The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Super stoked about it. Wish the library that had it was open on the weekend around here!

Right now I am kind of getting to know the equipment, form and such, but I'm hoping to develop a routine for 3-4 days week. I'd love to hear any tips, advice or websites to help get me on the right track.

I always thought weight=bulking, but I've since learned what a fallacy that is and I can't weight to get stronger!

Replies

• MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I really want to get into powerlifting, but I have no idea where to start. <3 GirlsGoneStrong - they're so inspiring!
  • Urbanlamb
    Options
    Honey...I am sooo proud of you! *hugs*
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Lifting IS empowering!! Feels good to be getting some solid muscle...and my husband likes it too!:wink:
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I love the way I feel with more muscle! I never had a "cut" on my triceps but now I can actually see the muscle! love it! and in another six months I will look even better! good for you girl! keep it up, it only gets better! oh and I actually am liking my legs for the first time in a long time!
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm in stage 2 of New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I LOVE it! I'm feeling stronger, and looking more defined. I never thought lifting was so much fun until now!

And you might just want to go ahead and buy the book (used on Amazon!). I go back to it all the time to review the lifts and to make sure I'm doing them right.
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Anyone have thoughts about at-home lifting? I just bought the book--30DS has made me realize how amazing it is to feel strong (though i have a long ways before I get lean!). My biggest problem will be setting up something at home. I don't have the funds or flexibility right now to get a gym membership.
  • anzabeth
    Options
    Go to bodybuilding.com. They have tons of information and some free, downloadable workouts. I am on week 4 of Jamie Eason's Live Fit program I am getting stronger, losing inches, and seeing definition. As soon as I finish her program I am going to start on NROLFW.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm in stage 2 of New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I LOVE it! I'm feeling stronger, and looking more defined. I never thought lifting was so much fun until now!

And you might just want to go ahead and buy the book (used on Amazon!). I go back to it all the time to review the lifts and to make sure I'm doing them right.

I probably will end up buying the book, but I always like to test drive these kinds of books first. lol. I've heard such good things about it!
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Anyone have thoughts about at-home lifting? I just bought the book--30DS has made me realize how amazing it is to feel strong (though i have a long ways before I get lean!). My biggest problem will be setting up something at home. I don't have the funds or flexibility right now to get a gym membership.

I just started lifting at home with dumbbells. I have the ones with removable plates so I can adjust them according to the weight I can lift for each exercise. I also use a program on bodybuilding.com. They have lots that you can tailor to fit your needs. This will work for me right now. When the dumbbells get too easy, I'm thinking of getting a barbell and bench. Even at a few hundred dollars, it will cost way less than a year at the gym.

Also, to the OP, I'm loving it too. I feel so strong after a workout and I can't wait to keep challenging myself.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    Options
    For right now I'm doing what I can at the gym and each exercise is done 8-12 reps for 3 sets. Is this effective?
  • PositivelyFlawed
    Options
    Go to bodybuilding.com. They have tons of information and some free, downloadable workouts. I am on week 4 of Jamie Eason's Live Fit program I am getting stronger, losing inches, and seeing definition. As soon as I finish her program I am going to start on NROLFW.

Thanks for the website link. Great website. I've already found a routine from the site i'm going to get started on tomorrow morning!
  • Katie3784
    Options
    Buy dumbells in a range of weights and research different exercises you can do. Aim to do 3 sets of 8-12 reps.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    For right now I'm doing what I can at the gym and each exercise is done 8-12 reps for 3 sets. Is this effective?

Yup. It's perfect. New Rules will have you start w/ 2 sets of 15 but that's just to practice form with lighter weights.