Insanity: Should I Really Eat This Much?

Options
According to Insanity, I should be consuming 1969 calories a day for weight-loss. I fully anticipated consuming more calories, but not that much. MFP has me at 1200 calories a day plus eating back my exercise calories so that puts me at around 1500. I'm wondering if I should begin Insanity and eat the calories they're recommending or if I should follow MFP and stay at 1200 and eat back whatever I lose through exercise? I ordered a Polar FT4 so once I get it I'll have an idea of how many calories I'm burning from the Insanity workouts. I'm just not sure how to begin this.

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If you're using a HRM then I would just stick too your goals on MFP. I do P90X and I don't follow the eating plan, I did however change my percentages for carb, protien, and fat on here to reflect what P90X recommends. The book that comes with insanity doesn't know any thing about you like age, weight, height, etc. So stick to your calorie goals on MFP and log your exercise and eat your exercise calories if you can :).
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I have done the Insanity program a few times, wait till your get your HRM then adjust your calorie intake accordingly.

You will burn 600 to 900 calories doing Insanity, so you want to make sure that you eat enough and do not bonk out :)
  • eolivero
    Options
    Have you seen an ACTUAL doctor?
    I've said this before in other posts - do yourself a favor - get a physical work up (blood work, etc.). Visit a REAL doctor and/or a nutritional expert.

Why in the world would you trust a salesman with your health?(because that's what Shuan T is doing - selling videos and books).
    The BEST advice anyone on MFP can give is NONE. Get your advice from a Doctor. Let him/her give you a HEALTHY workout goal for calorie intake and excercise.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I did a month of Insanity before getting my gym membership back. (Nothing against Insanity, I just don't think I'm a home-workout person.) I always used a heart rate monitor and never burned the 600-900 calories. :ohwell: The most I burned once was 575. I would wait till you get your HRM to start upping your calories a lot. Some days I only burned in the 300s.

For what it's worth, I'm a female, 32, 5'10" and 165.
  • kltobin2010
    kltobin2010 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've done one round of Insanity and one round of P90X, now I alternate btwn Insanity and P90X and I do not eat and have not eaten that much just because I wasn't hungry enough to eat that much BUT I have a HRM so I try to eat at least half of my exercise calories back which bring me to 1500 to 1600 depending on which Insanity workout I do. You def can burn btwn 600-1000 calories doing Insanity so it is def important to eat more to fuel your body and to replace a lot of what you will burn using Insanity. Good luck!

I'm 5'2 142 lbs and I have burned just over 1000 cals doing Max Circuit Interval - this workout is in month 2
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I think I will just eat back my exercise calories and stick to what MFP put me at since it's worked so far. I just completed the insanity fit test and OMG! I suck apparently so I can't wait to take it again in 2 weeks.