Nine year Heart Transplant Anniversary 2/20/2012

Options
Hello all, My name is Jim and I am a heart transplant recipient . I was transplanted on 2/20/2003 at UCSD . I know live in Central Florida and I am followed by Tampa General. On my first annual my EF was 40% and as of my most recent echo in December my EF is now 68%. I work out nearly everyday doing cardio and weight training. My challenge is that I am still on prednisone and I am sitting at 270 lbs. My Doctor says don't worry it is the prednisone slowing my BMR but I am determined to find a way through this. I look forward to meeting you.

Replies

• mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Good job on getting your EF to 68%. I work in the medical field and most people dont realize how hard it is for patients to do that. Kudos on your work! Keeping your EF>35% is extremely important for medical reasons to reduce your chance of arrhythmias.
  • mmarie111
    Options
    Congrats Jim! I am coming up on my one year anniversary of my 2nd kidney transplant! With my first one I gained a lot of weight. The prednisone really does make it nearly impossible to lose anything. I am not overweight now, but have to watch my calories like a hawk in order to keep from gaining. My Dr says the same thing yours does, not to worry about it, and to focus on staying active, eating right and feeling great. It sounds like you are doing a great job with that!!! Best of luck to you!
  • Dewwd
    Dewwd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thank you for the kind words and encouragement . It can be very discouraging at times as I have found through the years post transplant that I don't eat too many calories, nor do I miss my workouts often. I have to watch my sodium intake though , that stuff is poison for someone one prednisone for sure. Here's to a great day !