BM Problems (VERY TMI)

Options
!!!!!!Warning!!!!!!! The following post is very gross and way TMI. If you cannot handle mature discussions of feces, please don't read!

For most of my life I have had troubles with bowel movements and constipation. I always figured it was because of my eating habits and not drinking enough water.

Well I'm going on about 4 weeks now of eating healthy and drinking at least 6-10 8 oz glasses of water everyday.

Now it seems I get kind of constipated and once I do move that bowel what comes after is almost just pure liquid. Could my body just not be adjusted to the new food yet? I get very painful abdominal cramps when this happens and sometimes it makes me feel so sick to my stomach.

Replies

• leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this by saying you should probably consult a doctor on the issue.

There are two things, in my opinion that might contribute.

1. A lot of water can in some cases cause diarrhea.
    2. You might need more fiber in your diet.

For fiber, green vegetables are good, or you could get some fiber cereal/bars.

But all in all, if this has been going on a while, it might be time to see the doctor.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It could be Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or maybe a gluten intolerance. Did you recently add a lot of wheat products to your diet? You should get it checked out.
  • PrincessMorticia
    PrincessMorticia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My ex boyfriend had a VERY similar problem. Fiber supplements helped a lot but not all the way. He ended up finding out he had Irritable Bowel Syndrome and had to change his eating habits accordingly.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Please, consult a physician - far better to know rather than guess and allow any problem, if there is one, to potentially get worse.
  • kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    a FNP that I used to work with has said that constipation and diarrhea can run hand in hand. The situation that you are describing. I too have problems going. I average twice a week which I do not like at all. And when I do go I have the same cramping that you describe. Since I work with medical professionals, my answer has continued to be the same, increase the water and fiber. But when I do I get the same result. I have resorted to taking some Flax Seed Oil/Fish Oil capsules to try. If that doesn't work I will go to stool softeners.

LOL short answer...I have yet to find a good answer.
    If you find one please let me know.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Also, be careful of sugar free foods with sugar alcohols (some call them "crapitols"), they can really mess up your digestion.
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, definitely consult a doctor.

I have a similar issue, but it's due to a thyroid problem. If I take my meds, I'm fine. :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Oooo, yeah, I know about that! Definitely more fiber. I'm a fan of the benefiber powders, they dissolve quickly and don't taste like anything. But do check with a doctor!

Things that can cause this:
    1. Intense exercise your body isn't used to.
    2. Lots of water. Try easing back a little and gradually adding more.
    3. Stomach bug.
    4. IBS or another disease
    5. Food allergy
    6. Too much magnesium
    (From my own personal experience! My doctor has suggested I might have IBS, but we really haven't looked into it any further than that.)
  • LisaLashesxx
    LisaLashesxx Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    As a nurse i would suggest seeing a doctor

I am not a doctor but I could suggest try adding some fibre to your diet, a couple of senna tablets from the pharmacy every evening might help, and a bit of lactulose to soften the stool.

x
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this by saying you should probably consult a doctor on the issue.

There are two things, in my opinion that might contribute.

1. A lot of water can in some cases cause diarrhea.
    2. You might need more fiber in your diet.

For fiber, green vegetables are good, or you could get some fiber cereal/bars.

But all in all, if this has been going on a while, it might be time to see the doctor.

You can get fibre in a powder form (flavourless or like fruit flavoured) you can add to basically anything. Water, if it's fruit flavoured or like yoghurt if it's flavourless.
  • ngcgurl03
    ngcgurl03 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem at times and take magnesium citrate to help cleanse me out because i have trouble i do not want to rely on fiber pills for forever. i eat fiber but i guess it still does nto help i have cut out all soda and have been drinking lots of water since october. i would say go to the doctor and ask them. i went before but the only thing they told me was eat more fiber didnt help much and had to pay a huge bill.
  • lizard053
    Options
    a FNP that I used to work with has said that constipation and diarrhea can run hand in hand. The situation that you are describing. I too have problems going. I average twice a week which I do not like at all. And when I do go I have the same cramping that you describe. Since I work with medical professionals, my answer has continued to be the same, increase the water and fiber. But when I do I get the same result. I have resorted to taking some Flax Seed Oil/Fish Oil capsules to try. If that doesn't work I will go to stool softeners.

LOL short answer...I have yet to find a good answer.
    If you find one please let me know.

To help ease constipation without swinging too far over, I use magnesium and fiber. Really has helped me become more regular!
  • lizard053
    Options
    Also, be careful of sugar free foods with sugar alcohols (some call them "crapitols"), they can really mess up your digestion.

This too! I don't use them, so I forget sometimes.
  • kim457
    kim457 Posts: 15
    Options
    I eat one yogurt a day and that helps me alot!
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    id say its probably Irritable bowl syndrome, also try not to eat highly processed foods and Bread and try having inner health plus tablet and probiotics
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Have you tried All Bran every morning ontop of vegetables and fruits.. It helped me alot.
  • I have noticed the same problem since I started my diet and exercise regimen. I was thinking it could have something to do with the increase in protein, but not sure. I have had problems in the past (which I did see a doctor for) and he told me I needed to use enemas and Miralax, but nothing helps completely. I eat a fiber bar every morning but it doesn't seem to help. In fact, coffee helps more than the fiber. Not sure that I have any advice, other than what the others have said....see your doctor. Better to be safe than sorry. Everyone's body is different and pain is usually a warning sign of something wrong, so get it checked out.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I grew up with IBS.
    I dont have it anymore.

A couple suggestions for now.
    1) google sassy water from prevention magazine and drink it for a month.
    2) Probiotics but in pill form. They dont have a caloric base and digest much easier.
    3) get rid of milk and opt for Almond or Soy milk.

If you are having constipation issues due to protein intake or accidentally eating soy protein, you can fix it with a fig or 2 and a cup of black coffee.

I dont recommend getting protein from soy because it has a tendency of turning to concrete in the lower GI if you arent drinking upwards of 12-15 cups water daily.

I did all 3 and have a regular movement every morning like clock work!
    To the smell of freshly baked bread!

PM me for more info.